When should I send in my ERAS application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APDoc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a 3rd year medical student applying for PM&R next fall, and just have a couple questions about when to send in my ERAS. I'm not finishing my 3rd year clerkships until the end of August, and I plan on taking Step 2 in early September. I need to score high on Step 2 since I was below average on Step 1. I am also planning two away rotations in PM&R for the end of September through the middle of November. Given this scenario, my questions are:

1) Should I wait until early October when I get my Step 2 scores back until I send my ERAS app to programs? I'm just concerned that my below average Step 1 score will hurt me with interviews if I don't have a strong Step 2 score in my app to partially offset it. In other words, should I send my app in early with a poor Step 1 and hope for the best with regards to interviews, or wait until Step 2 scores are back and send it in.

2) Is sending out the ERAS in early October going to hurt me with getting interviews (i.e. is this considered too late)? I'll probably only have one letter from a physiatrist when I send in my initial application, but I hope to gain more letters and add them later after my away rotations.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

- APDoc

Members don't see this ad.

APDoc said:
Hey everyone,

I'm a 3rd year medical student applying for PM&R next fall, and just have a couple questions about when to send in my ERAS. I'm not finishing my 3rd year clerkships until the end of August, and I plan on taking Step 2 in early September. I need to score high on Step 2 since I was below average on Step 1. I am also planning two away rotations in PM&R for the end of September through the middle of November. Given this scenario, my questions are:

1) Should I wait until early October when I get my Step 2 scores back until I send my ERAS app to programs? I'm just concerned that my below average Step 1 score will hurt me with interviews if I don't have a strong Step 2 score in my app to partially offset it. In other words, should I send my app in early with a poor Step 1 and hope for the best with regards to interviews, or wait until Step 2 scores are back and send it in.

2) Is sending out the ERAS in early October going to hurt me with getting interviews (i.e. is this considered too late)? I'll probably only have one letter from a physiatrist when I send in my initial application, but I hope to gain more letters and add them later after my away rotations.

Any advice or insight would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time!

- APDoc

Send your ERAS app in with all of the required stuff (ie. Personal statement, etc...) On Sept. 1, or whatever the first possible day is. Then, as your scores come in they will automatically be sent to all of the schools if you check that on your ERAS app. Also, as other LORs come in, they will be uploaded, with your Dean's letter being uploaded on Nov. 1st.

Basically, the point is to get everything that you have in as early as possible. DO not worry that your step I is below average. If your step II is good, it will be noticed when uploaded. Many programs do not even review apps until Late Oct./Nov., but by getting it in early, you will get some interviews at some programs and can start setting things up.

Good luck.