When should I apply for the next cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmoney

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a first year dental student and considering taking the Army scholarship for the next 3 years of school.

With all the weakening economy and all, I understand things begin to tighten up vs the past where it was relatively easy to get involved with HPSP.

One of my fellow classmates applied in March of this year (for this cycle) and he and his recruiter both dragged their feet but he recently just got a decision and has to decide to take it or not. That was Navy. I talked to an older student who is in HSCP (prior service) and he was saying things are filling up really quick now.

I had planned on seeing how things went in school and applying in March or so, but it appears that will be pretty late for next year's cycle.

I will be contacting a recruiter soon, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any heads up regarding this issue. Now if I get the paperwork started and somehow it gets approved say in early part of next year, how long would I have to make a final decision?

Would I be considered a less qualified applicant since I'm taking a 3 year scholarship vs 4 year folks? I assume an eyesight waiver (correctable to 20/20, just uncorrected is not good would be available? As far as the summer stints are concerned, I'd be doing one summer OBC for 6 weeks, and then 2 more summer sessions for 6 weeks - even though the last one would be served after I had graduated?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a first year dental student and considering taking the Army scholarship for the next 3 years of school.

With all the weakening economy and all, I understand things begin to tighten up vs the past where it was relatively easy to get involved with HPSP.

One of my fellow classmates applied in March of this year (for this cycle) and he and his recruiter both dragged their feet but he recently just got a decision and has to decide to take it or not. That was Navy. I talked to an older student who is in HSCP (prior service) and he was saying things are filling up really quick now.

I had planned on seeing how things went in school and applying in March or so, but it appears that will be pretty late for next year's cycle.

I will be contacting a recruiter soon, but I was wondering if anyone could give me any heads up regarding this issue. Now if I get the paperwork started and somehow it gets approved say in early part of next year, how long would I have to make a final decision?

Would I be considered a less qualified applicant since I'm taking a 3 year scholarship vs 4 year folks? I assume an eyesight waiver (correctable to 20/20, just uncorrected is not good would be available? As far as the summer stints are concerned, I'd be doing one summer OBC for 6 weeks, and then 2 more summer sessions for 6 weeks - even though the last one would be served after I had graduated?

Army should be able to put a packet in now and possibly still get you a 4 year (or at least a 3.5 year) scholarship.

There is no eye sight waiver unless you were going to be a pilot and fly helicopters/planes.

The summer stints are optional. You can do OBC during your first summer, or you can just do rotations (TDY) at bases throughout the US. They can be for as little as 3 weeks or as much as 6 weeks - but they are optional. You don't have to do anything during dental school, and you will still get paid (I highly recommend doing the rotations if your school allows).

If you did only want a 3 year - then you should get the packet in now so that the first board that meets will pick you up. You would be able to turn it down up until you sign the paper - meaning once you are selected they are going to encourage you to sign - but until you put your name on the paper there is no obligation you incur.

No difference in peoples perception with a 3 vs 4 yr.

Contact me if you want more info.

Army should be able to put a packet in now and possibly still get you a 4 year (or at least a 3.5 year) scholarship.

There is no eye sight waiver unless you were going to be a pilot and fly helicopters/planes.

The summer stints are optional. You can do OBC during your first summer, or you can just do rotations (TDY) at bases throughout the US. They can be for as little as 3 weeks or as much as 6 weeks - but they are optional. You don't have to do anything during dental school, and you will still get paid (I highly recommend doing the rotations if your school allows).

If you did only want a 3 year - then you should get the packet in now so that the first board that meets will pick you up. You would be able to turn it down up until you sign the paper - meaning once you are selected they are going to encourage you to sign - but until you put your name on the paper there is no obligation you incur.

No difference in peoples perception with a 3 vs 4 yr.

Contact me if you want more info.
Thanks for the info. I did not realize the summer sessions were optional. I would definitely like to do them, but it would be excellent to have one single summer between my 2nd and 3rd year off, or at least have the possibility to be able to research at my dental school. Would you committed to go to OBC the first summer after you've signed up or can you push it back one year?

I will definitely contact you in the near future, maybe around thanksgiving when I have a break from school and stuff. Thanks for the offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I did not realize the summer sessions were optional. I would definitely like to do them, but it would be excellent to have one single summer between my 2nd and 3rd year off, or at least have the possibility to be able to research at my dental school. Would you committed to go to OBC the first summer after you've signed up or can you push it back one year?

I will definitely contact you in the near future, maybe around thanksgiving when I have a break from school and stuff. Thanks for the offer.

OBC is entirely up to you when to do it. If you wait until after school OBC will be about 1-2 months longer than it would if you do it during the summer. If you needed a summer off I would still do OBC, but skip one of the externships.

it's never too early to apply.

and just remember that the application process will go as fast as you want it to. there is a lot of footwork that you have to do yourself. the ball is really in your court on the process....it depends on how motivated you are to make the recruiter work and get things done.

SSHHh, don't say "footwork" and "recruiter" in the same sentence. Don't wanna make people mad, do we?

There is lots of paperwork with the scholarship, and most of it has to do with getting a security clearance and medical clearance. If both sail through, then you are still looking at a couple months I think. If you run into hitches with either, then... things can drag out and it won't necessarily be the recruiters or your fault. The security clearance, if you didnt know, is really in depth and it takes a bit of time to gather the information and fill it out. We are talking about things like "where exactly have you lived in the last 10 years, and give at least two referrences from people who lived nearby." Stuff like that.

The military has boards that meet to decide these things periodically and that can really slow things down, especially if they have to keep kicking your packet back because of problems. Sometimes you just gotta wait on them, and there is no amount of prodding that will get things done earlier. It will help to have an experienced recruiter who knows how to properly fill out the paperwork so the boards don't keep finding holes in your paperwork and sending them back.

Some may wonder why the military is so selective about their personnel, and that is fair. I mean, there is a lot of paperwork, and it can be frustrating dealing with it all. Thing is though, that if the Army accepts someone who has a physical problem previously, but didn't say anything about it, then when that person gets on Active Duty, they can then say that the Army screwed them up and they should get disability for life, which isn't fair for the Army or for taxpayers. They have been burned with that quite frequently I think. And well, a government "Secret" security clearance is not something you just hand out willy-nilly, so there has to be some discretion there.

My recruiter was new, but was efficient and my packet got submitted and cleared without too much trauma, though I had to redo some things a couple times.

Point is, these things take time and if you think there is a good chance you might take the scholarship, get started ASAP. Don't expect to fill out all the paperwork and see benefits right away. I think it probably will take at least 3 to 6 months to get everything done.

Last edited: