When is too late for applying for fall 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nishxxxx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I planned my application process and mcat scores, I did not realize there was a thing as too late. After all with most school deadlines in October, I assumed I would have as equal chances as any other applicant no matter when I applied. I am in my application process right now, but I'm scheduled to take my MCAT August 5 meaning scores won't be back until September. That is also when I would be able to get my final recommendation letter from the pre med committee as they require the mcat score as well. How will this affect my application?? Does turning in as my complete application minus the scores and letters as soon as I can play a beneficial role in this at all?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone will be moving this post soon, but depending on your score and GPA and all, you could be fine. But yes, that will reduce your chances for sure. Turning in your app earlier will have minimal effect because schools don't look at apps without and MCAT or letters. Turning in your app essentially lets them know that you will be applying to their school.

But that being said, don't lose hope. Turning in late is not a death wish. It is not advised, but give it a go!

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who made this mistake last time I applied, I would advise you to wait. DO NOT RUSH YOUR APPLICATION! Med schools will still exist a year from now. If you don't have your MCAT score yet, then you don't know for sure how it's going to look. It would be one thing if you had a 520 MCAT in hand and you just couldn't get the committee letter until August 5. Then I would say go ahead and submit today and the committee letter will be added later. But as it stands now, you should not submit your AMCAS until you know your MCAT score, and you won't know the score until sometime around Sep. 5. Assuming that it will take at least two weeks to get verified after you do submit (and it will probably take much longer because it will be so late), your application won't be sent to schools until at least mid to late September. This is not a great time to submit no matter what your stats are.

Reactions: 1 user
Alternatively, you could go ahead and submit your application today, to one "throw-away" school, so that you would be verified ahead of time. Then, if you don't get the score you wanted, you could simply withdraw your app and apply next year. And if you do get a killer score, then you could go ahead and add more schools.