General Admissions & OTCAS When is the right time to ask for a reference letter from an OT you are shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sb0106

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So OTCAS opens in a few days. I applied last year but all of my reference letters need to be redone since they don't carry over. I am planning on getting a new letter from an OT I am shadowing because I don't think the last one I got from OT is strong enough (simply bc I did not get to know any one OT very well based on the way the facility was set-up). So I started shadowing at a place a couple weeks ago. When will be the right time to ask her for a letter, after how many hours do you think it is appropriate? I already feel much more comfortable with this OT. She is very helpful, easy to talk to. I spend 6 hours a week with her. Unlike the last place, I am not bouncing around from OT to OT, I stick with her the whole time which is great.

I would like to apply as early as possible but it all hinges on this letter. I'll wait to apply until I can get the best possible letter from this OT.

So after how many hours should I ask the OT for a letter?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I am also going to apply when OTCAS opens. I have been working with OT's since last year at a private pediatric OT clinic. From the very start, I told them I would need references letters. I kept bringing it up in the past few months to let them know ahead of time. However, since I do the scheduling I know when the busiest times are for the therapists. I told my bosses and the OT's that I will be needing the reference letters asap since it does open this week. I have been observing off and on for a few months now. Can't say how many exact hours there are since it does overlap with my work hours. If it helps, I've been working for a year at 20hrs a week. So I know the OT's fairly well but it may be at a disadvantage since I only have one setting for the hours.

On another note, where are you applying?

I am applying to Temple, Jefferson, Salus, Philly U, USciences, Stockton, and a few others which I have not decided on yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, that's a good list. Do you know why you didn't get accepted last year?

Didn't have enough observation hours!

So I asked for a reference letter, the OT said she is happy to do it for me as she wants to see me get into school, etc. She asked if there is anything I would like her to include in the letter to make it sound better, she told me to send her an email with anything I would want to add in there. I'm not sure what to tell her... any ideas?

So I asked for a reference letter, the OT said she is happy to do it for me as she wants to see me get into school, etc. She asked if there is anything I would like her to include in the letter to make it sound better, she told me to send her an email with anything I would want to add in there. I'm not sure what to tell her... any ideas?

I gave each of my references a copy of my resume. This way they could add any more of your accomplishments into the letter to make you stand out more. I would add any community service, related job experience, ect. It's great to have someone give you a reference that does not just insert your name into a template. Makes it more personal. Good luck :)