When is the earliest I can take Step 3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewYorkDoctors

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I know there is a similar thread but it does not contain the exact info I need.

I am an MS4 and I want to get Step 3 out of the way ASAP. Initially, I wanted to apply for Step 3 the day after I graduate and hopefully take the test before intern year starts.

However, I have gone to the FSMB website to read more about this and I am now even more confused.

Do I have to complete at least one year of residency training (depending on which state, as listed on their website) before I can take step 3?

Or can I just go along with my initial plan and apply for Step 3 after I graduate med school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I know there is a similar thread but it does not contain the exact info I need.

I am an MS4 and I want to get Step 3 out of the way ASAP. Initially, I wanted to apply for Step 3 the day after I graduate and hopefully take the test before intern year starts.

However, I have gone to the FSMB website to read more about this and I am now even more confused.

Do I have to complete at least one year of residency training (depending on which state, as listed on their website) before I can take step 3?

Or can I just go along with my initial plan and apply for Step 3 after I graduate med school?

I also researched this. Some states do not require post graduate education, so as long as you are listed as a graduate then you can register. You can register to apply and take step 3 after you graduate, but I had my registrar look into it and it may be tricky. Apparently after graduation, your school reports to some entity (I think the NBME) that you are now have an MD - the NBME reffered to the entity as the "national registrar". Schools can report your graduation to the NBME on their own schedule. So, what I would do is talk to your schools registrar or whoever reports nationally the list of graduates and find out WHEN they do that. If it's a week or two after graduation that's fine, but if they leave it for a month or so, that may be your limiting factor. This is how it was all explained to me by the NBME....can't remember my entities...

It depends on the state you register under. For example, CA allows you to take it whenever. You have to download forms from the USMLE website, and get a letter of good standing from your program. Send them in and pay the fee (about $750) then you will get a scheduling permit allowing a 3 mo window to take the exam. Register in advance if you live in an urban area and take it 6-8 weeks after you register. Use a usmle world qbank and you'll be fine.

Mass on the other hand requires you to wait until Jan of the intern year (about 6 mo from the start date) so you can't register early. You don't have to take the exam in the state you register under, so if you want it done early just register under the right state and pay the fees and you'll be set. Its a good idea to do it early by the way also.

I graduate May 29. Orientation begins June 16. Current interns and residents, any chance in the world the paperwork will be done so I'll be able to take Step 3 in early June prior to starting intern year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduate May 29. Orientation begins June 16. Current interns and residents, any chance in the world the paperwork will be done so I'll be able to take Step 3 in early June prior to starting intern year?
Nope. You cannot submit your application until after you graduate, and it will take several weeks (at best) for them to process your application.