When do you pay back your loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

double elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My husband and I are wondering when to pay back student loans. We are very small-town people - so the chance of me getting into a program that will pay back loans (either institutional or governmental) is pretty good. However, it's not guaranteed. Do we NOT pay during my residency (hopefully surgery) and let the interest build up, or do we chip away at it during residency to at least try to keep it from becoming an enormous amount of money?

What does everyone do? What about the longer residencies? (gen surg + fellowship)

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends....

If you have a significant amount of debt you always have the option of deferment, which is great for all your subsidized staffords, you don't pay any interest for at least three years, more if you do fellowship. What it doesn't help too much with (othe than not requiring payments) is for unsubsidized loans, which continue to accrue interest. Then depending on your income and financial expenses, you can decide if you have enough money to chip away at the unsubs to save yourself some interest.

On the other hand, if like myself, you were like me and had just under the amount needed to defer ( I didn't take out any unsubs) then definitely consolidate it at the lowest rate possible (rates are mega low now) in December at the end of your grace period and start chipping away the best you can. it'll make you feel better in the long run, and interest builds up like nothing else, especially if you have tons of debt and lots of perkins loans which are higher interest at 5%. Don't consolidate the perkins until march though, as these have a longer grace period and you don't want to start paying interest early unneccesarily.

If your program will help with loans...that sounds awesome, especially if its the type of program you want to be at. If they only pay a portion, i would still start chipping away.

This all depends of course on whether you are willing to save some money on creature comforts during residency and put it toward loans. if you want to live luxuriously, then it won't work, and you should just pay it off later. just depends on whether you're willing to take the hurt now when you have a measly salary, or a larger hit when you're making more money.

all very vague and person dependent i know. good luck!