When do we have to apply for a post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
?

Assuming I dont get into a school I want to go to, what do I need to be doing right now or in the near future to ensure that I will have a post bacc program to get into. Im talking about post bacc for people who already have their sciences done but need a better GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

For this year I?m afraid you?re a bit late. Most of the programs have their deadlines sometime in June. If you want to apply to programs next year, the programs that I know of will start accepting applications in January. They will want the same basic things as med schools; transcripts, MCATS, premed-recs, interview (only for some programs) and of course the application fee.:mad:

Im applying now for med school so i would need o postbacc hypotheticaly this time NEXT year. So you mean I would have untill spring to apply? Im guessing they are not tough to get into right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am unsure if this will be helpful to your question. But I haven't been in school in 2 years, and the only information required for me to enter the post-bac program in my area was an official transcript from my old school and an application. From what I saw from the admissions process for post-bacc, your transcript must display a 2.5 overall GPA and doesn't have to be in a specific major. But to the point above, I do think it is rather late for the admissions for Fall semester, so you may want to consider entering in the Spring/Winter semester.

The1-
Was this an official post-bacc program or was this just for taking courses at local college after already having a degree. It's confusing, but there is a difference.

I think if I ended up in a post-bacc program I would shoot for one that is linked heavily with admissions at that school.

Can someone name some post-bacc program titles? I am just taking my choice of meaningful classes post-undergrad.

Don't assume all formal post-bacc programs are easy to get into. UCONN only has 12-15 students in their program each year. This includes students in the 1 yr and 2 yr. programs, so each year maybe 6-8 people finish and 6-8 new people are accepted. I don't know the number of applications they receive it is very competitive. My class was made up of a group of people who were quite diverse in terms of age, ethnicity, location and undergrad major.

Some programs show a preference for students from in-state or a particular region. Other programs are designed for URM students.

Look into what statistics the program has with regards to graduates being accepted to med school. Many programs are linked to specific med schools and others are not. One advantage of a program which is linked to a med school is that you may be able to avoid a 'lag' year between post-bacc and med school. At UCONN students in the program are able to take the MCAT in April, finish their Spring semester, interview and be considered for acceptance into UCONN med school for Aug of the same year.

I would also advise checking out what a formal post-bacc program offers you that you wouldn't get just taking classes on your own at a university. For me, having advisors at the main university campus and at the med school, and the excellent opportunities offered to students wishing to shadow physicians or do research during semester and summer breaks were invaluable.

To find info on post-bacc programs check out the the following AAMC website:

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

Beanbean

Did you attend the uconn program?

thanks. :D

Originally posted by momof2
Can someone name some post-bacc program titles? I am just taking my choice of meaningful classes post-undergrad.

first off, post bacc programs come in many flavors. there are those for gpa enhancement, those for career changes, those for URMs, etc.

lesee, often times post-bacc programs fall under the category of a masters program such as:
*Boston U (2 year program),
*Finch (the Applied Physiology program; 1 year)
*Georgetown (the Special Masters Program; 1 year)
*Tulane (Masters of Pharmacology; 2 years)

...and then there are simply post-bacc programs like:
*U CONN
*Wake Forest
*Indiana U
*UC Irvine
*UC Davis
*UCSF
*UC San Diego
*UCLA

momof2, just so you know if you are not a CA resident the UC post bacc programs won't look at you (at least the last time i checked).

Originally posted by Cochira
first off, post bacc programs come in many flavors. there are those for gpa enhancement, those for career changes, those for URMs, etc.

lesee, often times post-bacc programs fall under the category of a masters program such as:
*Boston U (2 year program),
*Finch (the Applied Physiology program; 1 year)
*Georgetown (the Special Masters Program; 1 year)
*Tulane (Masters of Pharmacology; 2 years)

...and then there are simply post-bacc programs like:
*U CONN
*Wake Forest
*Indiana U
*UC Irvine
*UC Davis
*UCSF
*UC San Diego
*UCLA

momof2, just so you know if you are not a CA resident the UC post bacc programs won't look at you (at least the last time i checked).

Cochira, are you heading to **** med next year? How did the *** program go?

edited by DrMom

If you don't mind living in Phoenix, AZ for a year or two (and you would be entering at the perfect time weather wise), you can still apply for their post-bacc program at Midwestern Osteopathic School of Medicine. Classes don't start until September 2. If you are interested, PM me. I'm in the program and I love it.

Good Luck