When do Texas schools stop giving out interview invites? Also, do OOS schools consider Texas residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowkat

Reaction score
I know it is still early in the cycle, but I saw that a lot of Texas schools have started giving out II in late July - August and many spots through October/November are filled already. I'm a Texas resident, I completed Texas secondaries in mid-June and the radio silence is really killing me. I've been spiraling pretty badly because I'm a reapplicant and it really hurts to see my friends in medical school or a lot of my friends with multiple IIs. From my experience last cycle, it seems like most in-state students already have IIs by September so I'm really worried I wont get interviewed again this year.

Also, does being a Texas resident lower my chances for OOS school admission? I love Texas, but I also really want to experience a different state and OOS schools are very attractive to me. I feel like being a Texas resident make OOS school less willing to consider me as an applicant and I can only rely on Texas schools for admission which I feel lowers my chances dramatically. My stats aren't too low (my pre-med advisor said they're enough to get in and I really hope she didn't lie to me). 510 MCAT, 3.85 GPA and pretty decent and varied ECs. I am Asian which I think also holds me back.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it is still early in the cycle, but I saw that a lot of Texas schools have started giving out II in late July - August and many spots through October/November are filled already. I'm a Texas resident, I completed Texas secondaries in mid-June and the radio silence is really killing me. I've been spiraling pretty badly because I'm a reapplicant and it really hurts to see my friends in medical school or a lot of my friends with multiple IIs. From my experience last cycle, it seems like most in-state students already have IIs by September so I'm really worried I wont get interviewed again this year.

Also, does being a Texas resident lower my chances for OOS school admission? I love Texas, but I also really want to experience a different state and OOS schools are very attractive to me. I feel like being a Texas resident make OOS school less willing to consider me as an applicant and I can only rely on Texas schools for admission which I feel lowers my chances dramatically. My stats aren't too low (my pre-med advisor said they're enough to get in and I really hope she didn't lie to me). 510 MCAT, 3.85 GPA and pretty decent and varied ECs. I am Asian which I think also holds me back.
OOS MD schools will consider Texans if they're superstars. Your chances are best in TX.

You're fine for DO anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to any OOS MD schools ? Have you applied to any DO schools instate or OOS ?

Yes, of course. I applied to 40 OOS MD schools and 15 DO schools. I applied to more schools than last cycle and specifically choose schools that were kind to OOS students and were within my score ranges. I'm just worried I will be considered differently for being a Texas resident.

Unless Texas is drastically different from all the other medical schools, they'll be giving out IIs at very least through February.

Some hard truths: If you're applying the year right after reapplying, your chances are slim. Usually med schools reapplicants take two years off to fix their application and reapply. If you're from Texas and applying to non-Texas schools, you're inherently at a slight disadvantage. I read somebody on SDN once say that the attitude is "If you're from Texas, why aren't you going to a Texas school? If you didn't get into a Texas school, why?" with the rationale being that being in-state in Texas makes going to a Texas school so much easier.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, of course. I applied to 40 OOS MD schools and 15 DO schools. I applied to more schools than last cycle and specifically choose schools that were kind to OOS students and were within my score ranges. I'm just worried I will be considered differently for being a Texas resident.
There is a bias against Texas applicants for OOS MD schools since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. This is not true for DO schools so you should receive several DO interviews.

Unless Texas is drastically different from all the other medical schools, they'll be giving out IIs at very least through February.

Some hard truths: If you're applying the year right after reapplying, your chances are slim. Usually med schools reapplicants take two years off to fix their application and reapply. If you're from Texas and applying to non-Texas schools, you're inherently at a slight disadvantage. I read somebody on SDN once say that the attitude is "If you're from Texas, why aren't you going to a Texas school? If you didn't get into a Texas school, why?" with the rationale being that being in-state in Texas makes going to a Texas school so much easier.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Because of the Texas match system, February is a bit late. You can expect the last II's to come out in December. Breathe! There's still lots of time, OP!

Reactions: 1 user
Did you apply to all of the Texas schools? Did you receive any interviews last year? What was the outcome of your interviews? Did you apply to Texas last year? Have you significantly improved your application from last cycle? How? Did you check with any of the schools you applied to last cycle to see what you could improve on. When did your advisor say you you were good enough to get in(or whatever was said) -before last cycle or recently. Why did you reapply so quickly?

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
There is a bias against Texas applicants for OOS MD schools since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. This is not true for DO schools so you should receive several DO interviews.
Which is very frustrating for the Texan reinventors, because based on MSAR Texas schools don't really reward reinvention... Or at least not nearly to the level that many other schools do. UTRGV is the main exception, but they are heavily biased towards those from the rio grande valley area from what I have read.

Did you apply to all of the Texas schools? Did you receive any interviews last year? What was the outcome of your interviews? Did you apply to Texas last year? Have you significantly improved your application from last cycle? How? Did you check with any of the schools you applied to last cycle to see what you could improve on. When did your advisor say you you were good enough to get in(or whatever was said) -before last cycle or recently. Why did you reapply so quickly?

Last time, I just became an American citizen over the summer, in July, and this messed with a lot of my official documents. I was put on Hold by both TMDSAS and AMCAS until I updated things like my social security and official name change and some other stuff. It was all really confusing. Because of that, I wasn't verified until August which is late for Texas schools since they've started giving out II and especially since pre-match is in October. Last year, I only got two interviews, one instate and one out of state. The OOS school wasn't really OOS friendly. In both rejection letters, they said not to ask for feedback. The biggest improvement is I added more clinical hours since I think that's what weakened my application the most and I completely rewrote my personal statement to better reflect myself. I also didn't apply to as many schools last year, especially with DO, and I didn't choose schools that were super OOS friendly.

I think I'm just more stressed this year because I can't financially keep reapplying. If I don't get accepted anywhere, I think I'm done. There's no point in chasing after a career that maybe I'm not as suited for as I thought I was.