When do people start with volunteering/EC's at university?

nerv12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering when is it a good time to start? During freshmen year, is it better to concentrate on your work more and get a high gpa/make friends with the professors (reference letters?)/research stuff. Oh and, do counselors provide all of the stuff to you? Like where you should volunteer and stuff like they do in high school? or do you just have to visit hospitals and ask if they have volunteer positions available?

What do you guys recommend or what did you do? thanks in advance :D

Members don't see this ad.

Also, does the summer between high school and freshman count when you list ECs for med school ?

I mean the summer after high school senior year.

You can, and should, start whenever you want to. I would recommend not starting right your first week though, because at this point you really don't know how tough or easy your coursework is going to be. But after you take a few exams, and start to get the hang of things, if you feel like you have a couple hours a week to spare, then you can go ahead and get involved in something. Obviously if you're struggling in your classes, then you should just focus on that. I also wouldn't worry about reference letters at this point. Go to office hours if you need help with the material, not because you want to become friends with the prof (although the prof knowing you is never a bad thing). As far as volunteering goes, you can volunteer at a hospital, but I really don't know how worthwhile it is. Maybe its hospital dependent, but the people who volunteer at our hospitals don't really regard it as a great experience. I would look to maybe volunteer at some sort of free clinic or nursing home, or somewhere else that isn't saturated with volunteers already. And some general advice: your gpa should be the most important priority for you at this point. Make sure to get off to as best a start as possible, as it may be nice to have a little cushion when you get to some of those upper-level classes. And at the end of the day, gpa, along with mcat (which you shouldn't be worried about right now), are the most important factors that med schools will consider. But even looking beyond just med schools, if you have a strong gpa, it will help you no matter what field you ultimately decide to enter.

Good luck, and make sure to enjoy this summer off!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does the summer between high school and freshman count when you list ECs for med school ?

I mean the summer after high school senior year.

I'd say sure you can count it. It's kinda a grey area, but technically you aren't a high schooler anymore. But I think showing commitment to whatever you do for more than just a summer would be the best idea. Just continue it into the year if you can or during your next break or something.

I would probably only consider that for applications if it is something you continue. For example, volunteering at a hospital starting then til when you graduate. Start whenever you feel you can though. I would be weary of investing too much time first quarter though, because you need to situate yourself.

thanks for the responses everyone!

I started some volunteering in early October of my Freshman year. After the first round of tests, but early enough to say that I started it that semester.

Definitely start volunteering as early as possible, even if the summer after graduation does not count towards med schools ECs. The thing is, so many volunteer opportunities require the reference letter and it becomes a real pain in the ass sometimes when you don't have references.