When did walgreens become bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doubletwenty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard Walgreens used to be a good company. But how many years did it take until it became really bad?

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve heard it’s when the Walgreens family sold.

Reactions: 1 user
I graduated a decade ago and it was already the "absolutely never" job of last resort when I was in school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow. Sounds like it started becoming bad around 2010 then.

You're asking the question thinking they were ever good.

For much of the modern period, this was the reason.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
All retail pharmacy went downhill starting in 2007ish when they couldn't expand anymore. There used to be tons of bodies in the pharmacy just like in a McDonald's or Chick-a-filet. The great recession sealed the deal for the point of no return. Since then it's just been cutting hours every year.

All retail pharmacy went downhill starting in 2007ish when they couldn't expand anymore. There used to be tons of bodies in the pharmacy just like in a McDonald's or Chick-a-filet. The great recession sealed the deal for the point of no return. Since then it's just been cutting hours every year.
what mcdonalds do you go to??? I went to one by my house and the damn ice cream machine was broken- I counted 3 workers, so I walked next door to Chic-fil-a - I counted 16 behind the counter.

what mcdonalds do you go to??? I went to one by my house and the damn ice cream machine was broken- I counted 3 workers, so I walked next door to Chic-fil-a - I counted 16 behind the counter.
Agreed, same here. Worth noting the massive service level difference between the two.

As a person who worked for them between 2009 to 2022, I’d say it was around 2017 was when it became obvious that the company’s ship was not sailing in the right direction
The Boots buy out was looking like poor management decision and many top executives were either leaving company or selling large number of shares.
Combined with Caremark’s aggressive plans to exclude WAG from their network further lowered reimbursement rates which resulted in lowered operational budgets

With that said, you can still find good areas/stores to work at, as long as your have the right people around you, but the cozy shifts are pretty much nonexistent

Reactions: 3 users
Unrelated, whatever happened to wagsrxm or whatever their username was? I’d expect them to be all over this thread.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Ca. 2000, they were head-to-head competing with Osco. One goes up: the other one goes up too, right across the street, no matter how inconvenient it may be for anyone else.

30 years ago, I heard (for the first of many times) that if state boards ever reach a point where they do not require a pharmacist on staff, Walgreens will be the first to jump on it.

Unrelated, whatever happened to wagsrxm or whatever their username was? I’d expect them to be all over this thread.
I decided to stalk that profile a bit now that you mention it. Last post was in July 2021, wagrxm2000.

He retired.

He played around with individual stocks with us for fun in 2020 but his wife made him stop because he watched too much CNBC. Then he went back to index funds and retired like a year later.

This was the last time we heard from him in the SDN discord.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230308-005350~2.png
    Screenshot_20230308-005350~2.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

Well I guess I haven't been inside one in a long time. Things were different before the $15/hour min wage and automation.

When the end of the generic wave of blockbuster drugs was visible on the horizon and this no longer could provide a sizable offset to the ever constant reimbursement crunch… things shifted hard to lowering cost to fill because there wasn’t and still hasn’t been any significant tailwind to replace what huge generic launches used to do for profitability

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be dealing with a Wally's tomorrow off and on.....It's pretty hopeless most of the time....on hold for ever IF you get a line at all...they are driving the locals crazy....generally impossible to get a transfer. Not long ago the Manager of a local Wally's got fed up ....closed the pharmacy and scooted....Just as an aside...I've been an RPh in retail for many many moons and it has always been high speed drudgery...I have had two hopelessly mismanaged (probably on purpose) chains close out from under me which was a relief actually..BUT..the pay has always gone up and up AND I have had other highly challenging occupations sometimes right along with the pharmacy job...(think sand). Now I work a day or two a week or month as needed.. I see NO REASON to suggest the Pharmacist trade to anyone. See high speed drudgery above...