When and where to do an MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lingonberry

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a first year med student and I am interested in getting an MPH while I'm in med school. We don't have an MD/MPH program at my school, so I'll have to go somewhere else. I'm just wondering if there is a consensus about whether it is better to do this betwen 2nd and 3rd years or between 3rd and 4th? I've heard that different schools do it differently. At my school it's not that common to begin with, but when people do it I think they've usually gone between 3rd and 4th year. I think I'd personally rather do it after 2nd year though because it might help me focus my interests in a way that will be helpful as I go through 3rd and 4th year rotations and try to pick a specialty.

Since I'll have to leave my school anyway for the MPH, I am thinking very much about going overseas, either to England, Australia or Denmark. I'm interested in international public health, as well as epidemiology. Does anyone know of any major reasons either to stay in the US for an MPH or to go overseas to do it? I feel like having a foreign perspective will make me more well rounded, and I also hope to work overseas in the future.

The University of Sydney has a one-year Masters of International Health program that looks really interesting! I don't suppose anyone on SDN has experience with it?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest between Year 2 to Year 3, right before you begin clinicals. Also consider seeing if the program you are interested in perhaps offers some online classes so if you have time either during the year or during the summer, to take a couple of courses (make sure they pass for credit).

I would say the reason to pursue the US might be it may be more reasonably priced. But travel would be exciting as well.

Good luck when you apply.