when a good time for cards research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reventon2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 3rd year med student with a strong interest in cardiology. however, i'm an average student from an average school not likely going to get into a top tier IM program...realistically a mid to low tier program. I'm debating if taking a year off between my 3rd and 4th year would help me in the long run. I think getting a few abstracts, maybe a publictation might help in the long run.
How does a research year help getting into IM and cardiology?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 3rd year med student with a strong interest in cardiology. however, i'm an average student from an average school not likely going to get into a top tier IM program...realistically a mid to low tier program. I'm debating if taking a year off between my 3rd and 4th year would help me in the long run. I think getting a few abstracts, maybe a publictation might help in the long run.
How does a research year help getting into IM and cardiology?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Before I give my advice, I just want to let you know that I am an IMG and did not do medical school here.
I think it is a very good idea to take a year off to do research in med school. There is a huge incubation period after conducting research and actual publication. So by the time you are applying for cardiology, you will have publications to show.
Also, doing research now will increase your chances of getting into a very good academic IM residency that I think is one of the biggest factors during fellowship selection process.
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree Sarnoff is great, however, keep in mind that it is a very competitive fellowship and requires you to have done research before hand to be competitive, inspite of what it says on its website. That being said, if you do get it, you can write your own ticket to any cards program. Tons of cards fellows at the brigham and mgh are former sarnoff fellows.

You should also look into Doris Dukes fellowships if you want to do clinical research instead.

It's important to be realistic with yourself and keep in mind what you want to do in the long run. In my case, I was doing basic science in undergrad and med school (including an extra year of funded research), but realized I wasn't happy and swapped to clinical outcomes and trials in residency. I felt really behind compared to others who had been doing clinical or health services research.

Several things:
1. IM is a buyer's market. Just because you are at a mid-tier school doesn't mean you can't get into a top IM program.

2. Keep in mind that most cards programs will heavily favor their own IM candidates, so you want to look for an IM program that has a strong fellowship. I think there is less of a difference between mid- to top- tier programs as these boards sometimes makes it seem. With that said, some "mid" tier IM programs are linked to "top" tier fellowships (don't want to name any in particular, since it would probably start a debate), so you might want to aim for one of these. When you get there for IM, seek out a cardiology faculty member you like and develop a good relationship with them. It will make a huge difference when you apply, whether internally or if she/he is willing to make phone calls for you elsewhere.