Whats your top Choice School April MCAT'ers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Umich here also..nothing would make me happier then to be back in ann arbor for 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone that will accept me....

but for the sake of a "top choice": UVA, Wake Forest, Tulane, Georgetown.

scooter31 said:
Case Western, USC

if straight md at cwru, i would also recommend their college program. you will be blown away by their facilities. good luck :thumbup:

UMich, Wayne, Pitt, Case, or anywhere else really. Hopefully not the carribean

Cerberus said:
Also a big fan of Tulane :love:

btw - I just want in SOMEWHERE. Please god just let me into A school.

Interesting, I'm also interested in USUHS. Not sure if that is the direction I want to go, but I'll have a chance to figure that out if they give me a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just call me Doctor....that is all I want to hear!!!!

I like Tulane, and my home state college would make my life a lot easier if I got accepted there. UMC, UAB is nice......

But again..... just call me DOCTOR!!!! *please*

Minnesota-Duluth is only for in-staters, right? I love Duluth but I'm a Virginia resident now.

Well...With how i felt coming out of the MCAT I'm hoping for anything. I would love to go to UT Houston since the Texas Medical Center is amazing.

I pray to God that I'll be at Emory for another 4 years. Atl is where its at, and Grady is just a kick ass place to do clinicals.
Other than Emory, Wake Forest, OU, GW, or BU

LanceP97 said:
Well...With how i felt coming out of the MCAT I'm hoping for anything. I would love to go to UT Houston since the Texas Medical Center is amazing.

Another hopeful for UT-Houston here. Lived in Houston all my life and would really like to stay. No, I'm not insane. :)

Top choices as I'm situated now? UT-Memphis or ETSU.

Top choices if I could be a resident of any and every state?

UCSD, UCI, or Medical University of South Carolina.

um...top choice i guess would be either yale or some other ivy...

more realistic top choices, even if i blast the MCAT, are case western, vandy, northwestern, or ohio state (i'm from the great, barren midwest, if it wasn't painfully obvious).

i hope i don't have to change my tune in ~7 weeks!

I can honestly say I have no top preference that is realistic due to a (really) bad few years in college... therefore, an acceptance anywhere in the United States or Carribean will be a blessing.

derf said:
1) UCLA

2) USC

3) Drew/UCLA

4) Anywhere in CA

Just out of curiousity, does UCLA have 2 medical schools? I always read posts claiming UCLA and then some claiming UCLA/Drew like yours.

Are these different medical schools?

I won't be applying to either because I am nowhere competitive enough but just curious...

Isn't this thread jumping the gun a little? Whenever someone asks me this question, I always tell them: Ask me again AFTER I get my MCAT scores...

paco said:
Isn't this thread jumping the gun a little? Whenever someone asks me this question, I always tell them: Ask me again AFTER I get my MCAT scores...

True, but some of us are applying before we know our scores.

so many great schools not even mentioned:

Dartmouth

UVM (im a vermont resident and have worked in the hospital here already!)

UCHSC

OHSU

UW

all have fantastic facilities. Some are fed by greater research then others (UW, OHSU, UCHSC come to mind)

and the climbing..... ahhhhh. Ouray park here i come!

Yale, or Wash University St. Louis for MD/PhD, but prefer the latter school. Otherwise I am fine with any med. school. Don't know whether to apply this year or chill for a little while, but if I don't get in for either MD or MD/PhD I will just go and get a PhD and apply for the MD after that . . . at least serious research is what I want to do anyway.

Wahooali said:
Interesting, I'm also interested in USUHS. Not sure if that is the direction I want to go, but I'll have a chance to figure that out if they give me a shot.

Ali .... USUHS .... nooooooooooooo! Noooooooooooooooooooooo! If you want to go into the military after med school, they have loan repayment plans in the guard and reserve (and active duty), by paying off loans fast, this would actually help anyone's crfedit! But the military will force you to do "their" residencies first, and put you into an area of need for the service, not an area of your interest. The military has very few spots in certain positions, and the training isn't as good as many civilian residencies (on the plus side, the hours and pay are better for those four years ... )

USUHS is an entirely different beast. The training in school is different and has a very "military academy" feel. The preparation is combat and primary care. This includes much focus on ID, unconventional warfare, primary care, emergency medicine and triage that you won't find at other places.

USUHS requires nearly a "career commitment" to the military, and the Health Scholarship programs to med school are a much better deal IMO (full tuition and living stipend to a school of your choice ... probably better training and a more relaxed environment, also, less of a service obligation (4 v 7 years after residency). This doesn't include reserve time.

Don't forget, 40% of the troops deployed in Iraq are reserve components. chance are, the "reserve" component of your duty will not be spent entirely at home, you should expect prolonged deployment for so long as the war on terror persists (and it won't be over anytime soon).

If you have always wanted to be in the military, then service scholarships or USUHS may be the way to go ... but take into consideration all the drawbacks listed above. Talk to people who have done this, consider the military has been downsized from 2.2 million active in 1987 to 1.5 million active in 1998, and there is HEAVY reliance on the reserve components to makeup for drawback. Deployments are longer and more dangerous than they were in previous years, and the military pay is horrible. Even with inducements and allowances for physicians, you can make 3-4x in the private sector.

If anyone is considering the military for any reason other than a strong lifelong desire to serve (this includes the thought, wow, .... free money!), I STRONGLY advise you to think extremely long and hard about the choice. A great cardiologist I knew told me "JohnHolmes, there will always be someone willing to pay for your education with fewer strings attached than the US military"

JH

emory would be my top choice because i'm already in atlanta and so is some of my family. vandy would be great if my stats lived up. of course, i could save about $100 grand if i could get into mcg instead

1) Toronto
2) Western Ontario
3) Johns Hopkins (bought me a lottery ticket :D)