What's your Myers-Briggs type?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What's your Myers-Briggs type?

• Performer (ESFP)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Supervisor (ESTJ)

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Field Marshal (ENTJ)

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Teacher (ENFJ)

• Composer (ISFP)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Inspector (ISTJ)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Mastermind (INTJ)

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Counselor (INFJ)

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Promoter (ESTP)

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Provider (ESFJ)

• Inventor (ENTP)

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • Champion (ENFP)

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Crafter (ISTP)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protector (ISFJ)

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Architect (INTP)

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Healer (INFP)

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supposedly certain Myers-Briggs types tend to go into pathology. I thought it would be interesting to find out what types post here on the path forum (please only vote your type if you're actually going into path, so as to not skew the results).

There are various tests on the web. Here is the particular one I took: Jung-Myers-Briggs Typology

My result = INTJ (the Mastermind personality type)

Please post your result!

Members don't see this ad.

AndyMilonakis said:
i'm tired...i'll do it in lab tomorrow. i promise.

Dude, you responded to this thread before it was even posted. How'd you do that? Get a life!

Members don't see this ad :)
actually i replied 2 minutes after your thread was started :p

you're right. i need a life :(

i cut out a Kroger Ad/newspaper clipping today, "Buy a Life and get one free".

In previous administrations of various versions of this, I came out IN*J.
When I was younger I tested I*TJ.

So once again, I don't know how to vote ;) :D :p

yaah would say I was being "deliberate" (which is just a nice way of saying I can't make up my mind). But that is not true. As pathologists we know that accuracy and precision both improve with repeated testing. Or maybe I am the sort of personality who likes taking personality tests! :rolleyes:

But - I don't feel like I have the brain muscle to power through the 72 questions today.

So for what it's worth, I feel INFJ.

People are just voting mastermind because it sounds cool... I AM a mastermind. Evil or benign? I do not know.

Funny, I recall a junior high school teacher telling me I'd either be a successful "person" or a successful criminal someday.

I read somewhere that only 1% of people are of the 'mastermind' type, so either you're right and people are picking it because it sounds cool, or a lot of masterminds go into pathology!

bananaface said:
ESTJ
Extroverted Sensing Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
11 1 22 22

I'm barely committed.

I didn't post my percentages because my computer crashed on me, but I do recall that I was 100% introverted!

Inventor (ENTP)

stormjen said:
but I do recall that I was 100% introverted!

Me too! Maybe people are right about pathologists!

INTJ

No no no, you can't all be masterminds, I'm SPECIAL dammit, my momma told me so!

Your Type is
ENFJ
Extroverted Intuitive Feeling Judging
33 56 11 22

Teacher

Members don't see this ad :)
ESTJ
Extroverted Sensing Thinking Judging
22 22 56 89

stormjen said:
I read somewhere that only 1% of people are of the 'mastermind' type, so either you're right and people are picking it because it sounds cool, or a lot of masterminds go into pathology!

Maybe I've really found the specialty for me then.

My wife read the INTJ description and asked me if I was interviewed for it... we both got a kick about how it was so like me.

I went through the questionnaire more carefully and apparently I am ENTJ and not INTJ. Oh well.

33 11 11 44

AndyMilonakis said:
I went through the questionnaire more carefully and apparently I am ENTJ and not INTJ. Oh well.

33 11 11 44

Yeah, you don't strike me as an introvert!

Harbster said:
Yeah, you don't strike me as an introvert!
Wow. The wookie speaks!

RAWR!

:laugh:

think i had a brainfart the first time i went through the questionnaire.

AndyMilonakis said:

33 11 11 44

You mean an ENFJ not an ENTJ

Oops...typo. Yeah, I'm classifed as the teacher I think. Which would be ENFJ.

LOL, imagine me as a field marshal :laugh:

I am ENTJ. In the past I have gotten INTJ on this test though.

This time:

Extroverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
1 33 44 89

This means I get to be Field Marshall Erwin Rommel (without the nazi crap).

I am an INTP/rational architect.

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
56 33 22 22

I think that's what I was when I took a test out of Tennis magazine (of all places) several years ago that likened personality types to game styles.

And only 22% for thinking? So I geuss I'm not much of a thinker :laugh:.

Mrbojangles said:
I am an INTP/rational architect.

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
56 33 22 22

I think that's what I was when I took a test out of Tennis magazine (of all places) several years ago that likened personality types to game styles.

And only 22% for thinking? So I geuss I'm not much of a thinker :laugh:.

Einstein.......as well as Newton were both INTP. Architects! :idea:

As a longtime psychology junkie, I love this poll!

We actually had a talk in med school where we all took Myers-Briggs tests. We were then told that N people are more abstract thinkers and S people are more detail-oriented and linear. Hence, Ns do better on multiple choice tests and S people do better on the wards (we were provided studies/graphs showing this). They then provided study tips for S people so that they could "train their brains" to think like Ns and do better on tests. This was interesting but also kind of amusing. Come to think of it, we took this test in high school too. Gotta love going to school in California.

I'm usually split between N/S on these tests, and maybe this is a good match for pathology--the intuitiveness for grasping concepts and the sensory for visual/concreteness of looking at slides.

I could go on, but I'll try to contain myself. I'm an INFJ, by the way.

vetiver said:
Ns do better on multiple choice tests and S people do better on the wards ... They then provided study tips for S people so that they could "train their brains" to think like Ns and do better on tests.
Most of us here are turning up as N, which I'm not surprised at. Give me an OR over the ward any day!

Did they provide ward tips for N people to do better on the wards? ;)

yaah said:
I used to subscribe to tennis magazine back when I was 12 and thought I was a decent player. :laugh:

Don't ruin my 12 year old fantasy of joining the ATP tour ;).

I posted a personality test and poll like this in the EM residency forum. Looks like there is a difference between the personality types with potentially more high strung EM folks. Don't know about the significance, the polls only test computer literate people who are willing to take place in online polls.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=178567

I love the fact that we have two "healers" and 8 "counselors." :laugh:

Although, interestingly, many path people considered psych at some point in their careers.

yaah said:

Although, interestingly, many path people considered psych at some point in their careers.

Yep, I went into med school with the intention of going into psychiatry. But I discovered that I needed to be around stable people, not people like myself. :oops:

stormjen said:
Yep, I went into med school with the intention of going into psychiatry. But I discovered that I needed to be around stable people, not people like myself. :oops:
Interesting. I went into med school with the intention of one day becoming a doctor :idea:

A friend of mine is going into psychiatry. She says that way she'll always know that she's the saner person in the room.

deschutes said:
Interesting. I went into med school with the intention of one day becoming a doctor :idea:

A friend of mine is going into psychiatry. She says that way she'll always know that she's the saner person in the room.

I don't know if being a psychiatrist automatically makes one sane. There are plenty of people with mental illnesses--especially personality disorders, who go into med school. I'm pretty proud of my obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, though it does get in the way of enjoying life sometimes.

On a side note, I really want to talk about men and swords, but I'm not sure where to post it. The Lounge kind of intimidates me. Specifically, how a man who does absolutely nothing for me, looks-wise, could suddenly plunge a sword into another man's chest and instantly seem hot to me. Perhaps it's a Freudian thing. I really should find a more appropriate place to post about it, but it's weighing heavily on my mind.

stormjen said:
On a side note, I really want to talk about men and swords, but I'm not sure where to post it.

The Adventures of Harbster Part 4 maybe?

yaah said:

Another healer here:

INFP
Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving
56 67 11 6

Definitely strong on the N as well.

stormjen said:
On a side note, I really want to talk about men and swords, but I'm not sure where to post it. The Lounge kind of intimidates me. Specifically, how a man who does absolutely nothing for me, looks-wise, could suddenly plunge a sword into another man's chest and instantly seem hot to me....

Rawr!!

Stormjen, have you considered the Psych forum? Although they are pretty dead.

What movie were you watching? :)

Mental illness is a continuum. Some of us are wackier than others, and normal is a cut-off point on a sensitivity-specificity graph.

Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging

56 11 33 56

I used to be an INFP as a kid, but apparently, it's pretty common for people to become more "judgmental" as adults.

I got
I N T J
44 % 56% 11% 11%
I'm just glad that my title sounds like I'm a super-villain. Who comes up with these crappy names anyway? I'd guess it would suck to be the promoter....You know, your personality is best suited to make other people look good.

AndyMilonakis said:
The Adventures of Harbster Part 4 maybe?

Yes. But light sabres do not produce the same effect, for the record.

deschutes said:
Stormjen, have you considered the Psych forum? Although they are pretty dead.

What movie were you watching? :)

Mental illness is a continuum. Some of us are wackier than others, and normal is a cut-off point on a sensitivity-specificity graph.

I had not considered the Psych forum; perhaps I will wander in there sometime.

The answer to your second question: 'Troy'. Embarassingly, most of my adult life has been spent pining after Brad Pitt. Add Orlando Bloom to the mix, and I'm happy (a yearning sort of happy). I know, it's silly, make fun of me, I'm used to it.

Agree on the mental illness being a continuum concept. Some aspects of medicine are cut-and-dry (e.g. yes, this patient has the Philadelphia chromosome; no, this patient does not have fasting hyperglycemia), but others are more arbitrary.

Psychiatry really is interesting. I could never be a psychiatrist though, I'm not sympathetic enough and I'd probably go crazy. But it's just so fascinating seeing the outer fringes of insanity/craziness NOS. Being on call at the local psychiatric emergency referral center was an experience!

Mrbojangles said:
Psychiatry really is interesting. I could never be a psychiatrist though, I'm not sympathetic enough and I'd probably go crazy. But it's just so fascinating seeing the outer fringes of insanity/craziness NOS. Being on call at the local psychiatric emergency referral center was an experience!

My problem with psych is that I always felt every patient was trying to manipulate me and I couldn't handle a career like that. "Xanax is the only thing the works for me," etc. And the ones who weren't manipulating me I felt were hiding part of the truth from me.

That sucks that almost every single person is an introvert.

It doesn't do much for the stigma of path as being the career of choice for those who avoid socializing whenever possible. You know, the career choice for those who like their patients quiet, who hate 3rd year, etc...

Harbster said:
I totally agree, tsj. Amen! It's pretty sad knowing that a chimp can be more socialable than a pathologist. :scared:

What the heck? I am proud to be an introvert and don't like being compared to a chimp (as much as I love them)! And being introverted doesn't mean one can't be sociable, it implies a preference toward more solitary activities.

Talk about judgmental! :mad:

It would just be nice if it there was more of a balance. I think so many people refuse to consider path because they think it is a career for those who don't like talking to people and don't like patient contact.

Path needs more people to go into path depsite the fact there is no patient contact. Path needs more social butterflies.

tsj said:
It would just be nice if it there was more of a balance. I think so many people refuse to consider path because they think it is a career for those who don't like talking to people and don't like patient contact.

Path needs more social butterflies.
I think there are more social people in this generation of pathologists. Sure some are kinda schizoid (to put it strongly) still but I hope that in the years to come, this stereotypical image of patholgists fades.

tsj said:
That goes to show how ignorant those people are. They clearly don't know much about what it takes to be a pathologist.

I've met so many more quirky/unpleasant personalities in medicine, surgery, and OB than in pathology. Path people in my experience are refreshingly normal, without all the ego issues and power trips.

And BTW...being "E" or "I" has nothing to do with social skills. It has to do with what energizes you. Some people get energized by big social gatherings, while others find they feel tired afterward. But both types can perform well at the party. ;)