What's your estimated total student loan debt when you will be finished?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Total Student Loan Debt

• <50k

Votes: 12 7.7%
  • 50-70k

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • 71-90k

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • 91-110k

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • 111k-130k

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • 131k-150k

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • 151k-170k

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • >170

Votes: 88 56.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or of course actual student loan debt after completion.

Also what is your field of study?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't believe your highest number is 170k. With tuition 40k a year, that would be a nice amount to have in loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to edit this poll or have the mods do it. Or have them delete this whole thread and you can redo it. Your loan amount should go up to at least 350K, if not 400K.

>170K

I'll be 200K in the hole to be exact. I'm interested in all of the following:
Anesthesiology, GI, Cards, Nephrology, Family Practice.

I'll owe approximately 27k after graduating with my PharmD! :D

But, I plan on going back to medical school so I guess you can add another 160k if I get into the school of my choice. :scared:

You need to edit this poll or have the mods do it. Or have them delete this whole thread and you can redo it. Your loan amount should go up to at least 350K, if not 400K.

My bad. I saw somewhere the average med school grad has ~150k in debt. I thought that number was a little low. Either way feel free to give your estimate if over that amount that way people have a better representation.

60k audiology grad school + 25k undergrad = 85k total

No undergrad debt (thanks scholarships + mom & dad) + Med School = 198,546.31 with interest on the day I walk.... sigh. Not sure what I am doing yet, however i am loving emergency medicine, trauma surgery, anesthesiology, and internal medicine... sigh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Myself: In-state at a public school(med school and undergrad)
$270,000 at graduation ($220,000 from med school, $50,000 from undergrad)
~$370,000 after training
I'm going into orthopaedics

My SO:Out-of-state at a public school
$360,000!!! at graduation(ALL from medical school!)
~$490,000 after training
She's going into pediatrics with a strong leaning towards peds heme-onc

I read numbers around $170,000 as the avg. debt of someone who attended their state school, and I couldn't believe it. Of course, I know many people in my class whom their parents help out a lot, so maybe since those without parental support and those with are combined that number seems more plausible. The majority of my classmates do not have their parents helping pay for med school, though. My estimated need for years 1 and 2 was $50,000/yr, and for years 3 and 4 it was $60,000/yr. Did I mention I'm in-state at a public school?!?!?! The more recent crappy interest rates and changes in student aid laws that seemed to only negatively effect those graduating from medical school are the reason for the even scarier debt that's awaiting us at the end of training, which is the true debt number you should look at.

This has been discussed a lot -- basically the average debt levels are skewed by people who don't borrow to go to med school (military people, rich people, etc.). It would be more interesting to see a figure of average debt for people who borrow, but I haven't seen that anywhere. Yeah, it would be hard to get out of my state school with instate tuition with debt below $170k if you didn't have outside support.

I'm going to be more in the $300k club and going into psych. Yay! :eek:

$350,00 here. :eek: People, when you think of your total, don't forget about the interest. I hear "well, four years at $60k, so about $250,000 or so." No, it's more like $325,000 interest. Time to get real.

I've had to completely rule out FP and Peds because there is no way I'm going to spend 12 years in school at 60-80 hours per week to take home $4000 per month after my student loan payments and still be 10 years behind on retirement contributions.

I've had to completely rule out FP and Peds because there is no way I'm going to spend 12 years in school at 60-80 hours per week to take home $4000 per month after my student loan payments and still be 10 years behind on retirement contributions.

You'd take home $4,000 per month if you go into FP or Peds for residency? Aren't all residency monthly salaries generally around or less than that? Or did you mean FP or Peds once you're practicing (even so, $4,000 monthly take home sounds low). :confused:

As long as I get into a University of California medical school I won't have to worry about the cost of tuition (fees) for med school. Otherwise, I will end up owing a lot more than I planned.

Last edited:
How many of you are planning to go into income based repayment next year or are you going to put your loans into mandatory forebearance? Fun stuff to think about:)

How many of you are planning to go into income based repayment next year or are you going to put your loans into mandatory forebearance? Fun stuff to think about:)

I've been debating this same question, and I think it will ultimately depend on where I match and the cost of living in that area.

I'm strongly considering programs in NYC, so I may be forced to go the forbearance route (after several months to one year from graduation) and let the interest accrue while I'm a resident; if I end up in a more affordable area I may be able to use the income based repayment program and avoid my total debt from spiraling out of control.

I'm just beginning to research this issue, so a lot of these terms and programs are new to me and I could totally change my strategy...

I'm not maxing out, but I'm gonna be around ~160k.

4 yrs at USC maxed out = ~240k..

Lemme see. About $27K from undergrad.
About $270K from med school.

So I'm running about $300K. Enough to make me throw up when I think about it.
I want to do IM hospitalist medicine.

$0 from UG and $0 for med school, I like Ophthalmology and its sub-specialties especially vitreo-retinal surgery like my father and Interventional cards.

You'd take home $4,000 per month if you go into FP or Peds for residency? Aren't all residency monthly salaries generally around or less than that? Or did you mean FP or Peds once you're practicing (even so, $4,000 monthly take home sounds low). :confused:

I meant AFTER residency. With a good position, $180,000/yr salary. So, that's $15,000 per month BEFORE student loan payment or taxes. If I'm on the 10 year repayment plan, count on about a $5200 loan payment. Then, consider the fact that I have to pay in to retirement and make up for being 10 years behind. That $4,000 sounds plenty right. I made more than that working at a hospital during undergrad.

I need to stop thinking about this. It's making me sick.

$0 from UG and $0 for med school, I like Ophthalmology and its sub-specialties especially vitreo-retinal surgery like my father and Interventional cards.

HA. Wish I was in your shoes. Daddy was a truck driver so school was all on me.

I meant AFTER residency. With a good position, $180,000/yr salary. So, that's $15,000 per month BEFORE student loan payment or taxes. If I'm on the 10 year repayment plan, count on about a $5200 loan payment. Then, consider the fact that I have to pay in to retirement and make up for being 10 years behind. That $4,000 sounds plenty right. I made more than that working at a hospital during undergrad.

I need to stop thinking about this. It's making me sick.

Wow. I never thought about it like that, but you're definitely right.

That $4,000's gotta cover housing, transportation, food costs, too, for a whole family. That's not something I was even thinking about when I went into med school. Damn. :(

$4000 for a family? Here we've been living on $2500/month for a family of four and that does cover transportation, housing, food, etc. $4000/month seems absolutely heavenly. We could afford to go out to a restaurant once in a while on that take-home.

Granted, we're not living in NYC or some place ridiculous like that, but we certainly don't live in the sticks either.