what's up with this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hug793

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So Temple University has a School of Podiatric Medicine, but the Temple University Hospital does not have DPM's on staff in their ortho dept. See for yourself templeortho.net
Any thoughts?

The University of Pennsylvania Hospital, also located in Philadelphia does not employ podiatrists. http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/ortho/physicians/facultyspecialty.html
They have a M.D. doing foot and ankle

Also the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the #1 rated children's hospital by US News does not employ DPM's!

Just in case you were wondering I am a PA. Just so you know, I have full respect for DPM's. I have referred numerous patients to DPM's.. I think that most mid-level practiconers (PA's FNP's) and even our supervising physicians recommend podiatrists to our patients. I just thought I would try to get some thoughts as to why in a city that has a podiatry program, the nearby hospitals don't utilize their services.

Members don't see this ad.

hug793 said:
So Temple University has a School of Podiatric Medicine, but the Temple University Hospital does not have DPM's on staff in their ortho dept. See for yourself templeortho.net
Any thoughts?

The University of Pennsylvania Hospital, also located in Philadelphia does not employ podiatrists. http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/ortho/physicians/facultyspecialty.html

Also the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, the #1 rated children's hospital by US News does not employ DPM's!

Just in case you were wondering I am a PA. Just so you know, I have full respect for DPM's. I have referred numerous patients to DPM's.. I think that most mid-level practiconers (PA's FNP's) and even our supervising physicians recommend podiatrists to our patients. I just thought I would try to get some thoughts as to why in a city that has a podiatry program, the nearby hospitals don't utilize their services.
Yes well, even if this is true today it will change soon enough. Remember, a little over 100 years ago DO"s were treating patients out of covered wagons. At least they're indoors now. :laugh:

hug793 said:
Any thoughts?

I think that DPMgrad would be most qualified to comment on this since he is currently a resident in Philly. I was under the impression that the students did rotate through the Childrens hospital but may be mistaken.

Members don't see this ad :)
hug793 said:
Any thoughts?

Well, the main reason why the Orthopedic Departments at Temple University Hospital and Hospital of University of Pennsylvania don't have DPMs on staff is that the relationship between Orthopedic Surgery and Podiatric Surgery is not very good. Podiatric Surgery is actually a separate department from Orthopedic Surgery. At Temple University Hospital, Podiatric Surgery and Orthopedic Surgery alternate call days for Foot and Ankle Trauma in ER. Since Podiatric Surgery is a separate department from Orthopedic Surgery, Podiatric Surgeons at Temple University Hospital and University of Pennsylvania - Presbyterian have full admitting priviledges, where they can do their own full H&P for hospital admissions. The other major reason why many Orthopedic departments in the major university hospitals do NOT have DPM is that there are two Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Fellowships in Philadelphia. They are at Jefferson University Hospital - Rothman Institute, and Pennsylvania Hospital / University of Pennsylvania Health Systems. Hence, there are a great deal of foot and ankle Orthopedic Surgeons in the area. For example, Hospital of University of Pennsylvania - Presbyterian, there is a Foot and Ankle Orthopedic Surgeon who is the chief of Foot and Ankle Division of Orthopedic Surgery. However, there are some changes occurring in the Orthopedic Departments. For example, Jefferson University Hospital has been traditionally not Podiatry friendly. However, the Rothman Institute (major Orthpedic Group at Jefferson University Hospital) now has two DPM on staff, even though they don't do much surgery. On the other hand, there are several hospitals where Orthopedic Surgeons are very friendly with Podiatric Surgery. For example, Podiatric residents at Frankford Hospital and my hospital have been scrubbing all of the Orthopedic cases and being trained by the Orthopedic Surgeons.

As for Children's hospitals, Philadelphia has three children's hospitals. Of course, the most popular is Children Hospital of Philadelphia. The other two children's hospitals are St. Christopher's Childrens Hospital and Temple University Children's Hospital. St. Christopher's Childrens Hospital and Children Hospital of Philadelphia do not have any DPM on staff because the Pediatric Orthopedic Surgeons on staff do not feel that Podiatric Surgeons should be treating Lower Extremity Problems in children. However, some of the prominent Podiatric Surgeons (Dr. Kieran Mahan, Dr. Michael Downey, Dr. Schoenhaus) have been successful in getting full priviledges at Temple University Children's Hospital. Due to their ability to operate at Temple University Children's Hospital has afforded the Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine students to rotate through the Podopediatric clinic at Temple University Children's Hospital.

IlizaRob said:
I think that DPMgrad would be most qualified to comment on this since he is currently a resident in Philly. I was under the impression that the students did rotate through the Childrens hospital but may be mistaken.

Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine students do rotate through the Podopediatric clinic at Temple University Childrens Hospital. Philadelphia does have three childrens hospital. Besides Temple University Childrens Hospital, there are St. Christopher's Childrens Hospital and Children Hospital of Philadelphia, which is the most well known of the three childrens hospital. By the way, there is also a Shriner's Children Hospital for the Crippled in Philadelphia, which is located right next to Temple University Childrens Hospital.