Whats up with Pathology texts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I decided to read Rosai's Surgical Pathology front to cover and get to volume 2 today sitting at a cafe in LA. Volume 2 opens up with a chapter on none other than the vagina. Okay, I try to skip the nasty gross photos as not to offend anyone else in the cafe. First section adenosis, okay...Rosai describes how some dude named Sandberg examined 22 pre and postpubertal vaginas and found occult adenosis in 41%. WTF, is that academic pathology? What would the IRB read like "Looking for incidentalomas in the vaginas of 12 year olds?"
...Wierd, very wierd, but lo and behold Kurman and Scully actually repeat the study! Like of all the things to validate in pathology, they picked this? Dude, MGH is sounding sketchy, big time. Thats pervy IMO.

Okay, so I continue....I want to get to the heart of the chapter: Aggressive Angiomyxomas, hard to diagnose, easily confused...he opens with a gross photo of a giant goombah tumor between some poor woman's legs, WTF do I need to have to see that? No, no surgeon is gonna drag me into a examining room to see Ms. Johnson dangling goombah between her thighs! Christ! Then the next page is a single crappy high power shot of an Agg Angiomyxoma, one shiatty photo! WTF this book cost $350 bucks.

I move ahead, disappointed, to find a BW photo of some poor lady with a speculum stuck in her to get a money shot of vaginal melanoma! You have to crapping me, WTF, why do I need to see that? Melanoma can be anywhere, ok I get the damn picture. Ive now lost my appetite for the 10 dollar salad I just ordered and I have no more insight into practical diagnosis of these lesions than when I started. Thanks Juan, thanks. I know a guy here in LA named Juan, he sells churros from a cart near Pico street. Maybe he knows surgical path.

Members don't see this ad.

only $350 ive seen it for around $435ish

I think most of the new Rosai has some great pictures in it - he uses a lot of the gross photos from Dr Cooke's atlas which are pretty impressive. But I agree there could be more good micro pics. There is the CD though - have you looked at that much? That is a pretty sketchy study though about the adenosis. I guess not as much from the pathologists perspective as the collaborating clinician who is actually doing all of these biopsies.

I think these WHO books are interesting - I am thinking of getting a few of those.