What's up with Indiana U?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stryke

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for anyone interested in Indiana U or for any students/residents there?

Why does it have such a hard time filling it's positions with US grads. I know Indy isn't exactly NYC, but it didn't seem like that bad of a place. Plus accroding to US News and World, its top 40 in NIH funding, top 25 IM dept and seems to have very impressive fellowship placements. 24 people getting cards in the past 3 years, to places like Colombia, Wash U, Harvard, U Pitt. Also pretty impressive placements for GI and in fact almost all fellowhips. From what i've heard its not malignant at all.

But when I look at their list of residents, the only US students that seem to go there are from Indiana U. So I was just wondering if there is something horrible about this program that I am completely missing.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a fourth-year at IU going into IM. IU definitely has a reputation of being friendly to foreign medical grads. Two years ago, 50% of their class were FMG's. Last year was a little better, but there were still quite a few FMG's. Dr. Logio has only been program director for 1.5-2 years, and supposedly she has promised this year to limit the number of FMG's in the program. I will say, however, that all of the FMG's that I've worked with seem pretty bright. I think they have to have pretty high board scores in order to practice over here.

I think the location has more to do with the number of FMG's than anything else. Most people not from Indiana or one of the adjacent states don't really want to come here. I think that Indianapolis is a great city to live in, but it definitely does not have the "big city" feel that a lot of people want. The weather is probably the biggest downside. It's pretty miserable from November-April, with lots of cold and snow. Summers and falls are very enjoyable, though.

As far as the program itself, I think that it is probably among the top 5 in the Midwest in terms of clinical training. The residents rotate through four hospitals, with the majority of the time spent at Wishard or the VA. Wishard is your typical urban county hospital, with loads of great pathology. Residents and interns totally run the show at both Wishard and the VA. IU has a pretty solid reputation for turning out excellent physicians, and as you mentioned, their fellowship match rate is excellent. If it weren't for the cold weather (which I hate), IU would definitely be my number one choice (currently it's #2).

yeah, I think it is that way with quite a few state school programs in less desirable locations. I'm currently a MA resident, and the reason that UMass has so few USMG's outside their own alumni is b/c a)UMass tends to get overshadowed by the reputation of the Boston programs, and b)Worcester doesn't have the best rep (though it is close to Boston). I imagine Indiana is about the same story, but I've heard great things about the program itself.