What's up with ancillary services?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yonderson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello orthopods. What's the lowdown on ancillary services in private practice? Like what are they and how much revenue does the practice gain from them? How does it work? I know a few are PA's, phys therapy, MRI/imaging. Maybe a PM&R person? I know of a few spine practices that have acupuncturists, massage therapy, and chiropractors, although I think that may be overdoing it a little. Anyway does anyone care to comment? I'm a pre-med and I have always been interested in the business aspect of medicine. The healthcare industry is fascinating, at least to me. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most practices will use a PA in the clinic with high enough volume, and in the OR depending on whether or not there are residents to cover cases. PA's pay for their own salaries if they see x number patients per clinic day, and can allow the surgeon more time to be in the OR rather than seeing non-op patients or routine follow-ups.