What's this 5-year rule and having to retake classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slash

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading another post and saw somebody mention having to retake a class due to whathe termed the "5-year rule." What is this so-called "5-year rule" that the poster mentions and does it even exist? Do dental schools not consider science/math courses that you've taken 5 years out of applying to dental school?

Here's the post I read from the guy who mentions this:
UMDeeMan said:
i took gen chem 1 (retake due to 5 year rule), physics 1, bio 1, gen psych, and another class last semester. ended up with all A's and a B (psych). i wouldn't recommend it, but i am behind the 8 ball and am trying to speed up my undergrad completion. but to say the least, i had no social life. but it was worth it, i figured i saved myself a semester and also successfully completed a very rigorous semester curriculum. if an adcom were to doubt my abilities, i could bring up this past semester. you feel me?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no 5 year rule

Bickle said:
There is no 5 year rule

Thanks for the reply. I have never heard of a 5-year rule, and quite frankly it seems ridiculous to me, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I spoke with UoP admissions counselors regarding classes taken 5 + years ago they told me they had no set policy. If you have retained all pertinent information from the class - you're good.

http://www.dentistry.umn.edu/prosstudent/Criteria_For_Dds_Admissions_Selections415.html

Here is the only example I have ever seen for the 5 year rule, but it just says that the coursework MAY BE considered obsolete.

COMPLETION OF REQUIRED COURSES
Upon acceptance and prior to matriculation, official transcripts must be sent directly to the School of Dentistry from each undergraduate and graduate institution attended, and must verify sufficient credits and correct courses. Basic science coursework that is older than five years may be considered obsolete.

I noticed University of Tenn. had a policy about basic science courses being no more than five years old when I looking for schools to apply to.

Would you judge a candidate based on a old record? I hope that isn't the sole criterion because you would be judging him/her using the old past. It wouldn't be fair. 5 yrs is just a informal cutoff between old and recent. Schools want to see where you are at recently so they seem to recommend retaking the prereqs. Think about it you are going to judge somebody based on what he/she did 10+ yrs ago? Judging him/her using the record of 10+ yrs plus what he/she did recently is sensible.