What's the word on transferring between programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jen628

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have been away from this site for a year or two. Anyway I don't know where to go for an answer to this question. Any help would be much appreciated.

So I am in a 3+1 residency and I did my internship elsewhere from my residency. Well, during internship, circumstances changed (i.e. I met someone) such that I would like to do my residency at a different location (or at least the remainder of it). I know that it is possible to do this as I have seen others do it, but I have no idea where to start.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're just now starting your 3 year residency after internship and you want to change locations. You've only been there 2 weeks-1 month. That's good in the sense that the PD will likely be able to replace you fairly easily (although it would have been a heck of a lot easier 1 or 2 months ago).

Depending on your specialty, there are different ways to find open positions. EM openings are posted on saem.org. I don't know about optho, anesthesia, and other advanced residency spots. Since you are aiming for a particular specialty and location, your best bet is to contact PDs in that area and ask them if they have any openings. If they are missing a resident they'd probably be glad to have you.

Probably best not to talk to your PD or anyone else at your program until you've found a position and are ready to move. Just talking about leaving a residency program makes everyone nervous - they'll be short-handed unless they can replace you, and it tends to reflect poorly on their program.

Please consider if you really want to make the move. If that special person is that important they may even consider moving to be close to you.

Good luck.

Good advice for sure. Definitely I am keeping it quiet and of course haven't decided 100% that I'd want to move yet either. And I agree on the reciprocity-we've discussed going in whichever direction opens up.

I wonder what the reception is like to contact PDs about such a topic-would they think I'm a traitor to my own program and thus a poor candidate? It seems like somewhat of a catch-22.
thanks.

I have personal and second hand experience with this. Most PDs do not consider you a traitor if you want to change programs as long as you have a good reason. Finding your soulmate probably qualifies.

Make it clear that you're not changing because you're having problems with the program or vice-versa. You don't want to get labelled a problem resident.
Get letters from faculty who you can trust to give you a good recommendation and keep your moving plans a secret until they pan out.

Besides, if the new PD needs a resident (especially an advanced level resident in the specialty) than you may be the only game in town. It's easy to find a zillion people who have finished a year of surgery or medicine and are looking for a position. However, if they're looking for someone who's got a year in of EM, Optho, Anesthesia, etc, than you may be the only one.