Whats the outlook of these residencies as a future DO student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zepman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I will be a DO student in the next few months. I am just curious, how competitive are emergency medicine and anesthesiology as a DO?

I understand there are previous posts asking questions like these, however I feel like the competitiveness might be changing.

Would an average student be able to obtain such residencies?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Doable

Reactions: 4 users
Meh, pretty much the same as it has been. DOs have notoriously matched both EM and anes. People on here will say they are getting more competitive now, but those same people will also say FM is more competitive (which doesn't even make sense).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How DO friendly is infectious disease?

How DO friendly is infectious disease?
You’ll be more than fine. People get ID from community IM programs. ID is a multi year fellowship for less pay so it’s not competitive

Reactions: 2 users
Anesthesia is becoming less competitive than before. EM is steady. The problem is not how competitive things are today but how much they are by the time you apply. The year before I entered medical school psychiatry was still seen as only requiring a pulse. By the time we graduated, 8 of 13 psychiatry applicants went unmatched

Reactions: 2 users