Whats the highest paid pay field for non-Doc healthcare fields?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpfuldoc2b

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the highest paid health care career? Example is it HealthCare Admins, Nursing? PA? PT? AA? etc.... What is the least required time for the best investment (compensationwise) after graduation?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the highest paid health care career? Example is it HealthCare Admins, Nursing? PA? PT? AA? etc.... What is the least required time for the best investment (compensationwise) after graduation?
crna/aa both make > 120k to start with potential to 200k+. not a bad deal.....

All the ones that have direct patient contact usually suck. If I had it to do over, I'd be a medical anthropologist and study about healthcare. Then I would write books and become famous while I travel all over, have plenty of breaks, give seminars and interact with my female grad assistants in a lot of different countries. I could dress casually...or maybe just wear a loincloth most of the year,lol. :D Screw the $$$$

Members don't see this ad :)
All the ones that have direct patient contact usually suck. If I had it to do over, I'd be a medical anthropologist and study about healthcare. Then I would write books and become famous while I travel all over, have plenty of breaks, give seminars and interact with my female grad assistants in a lot of different countries. I could dress casually...or maybe just wear a loincloth most of the year,lol. :D Screw the $$$$
my undergrad was medical anthro....to get the grad students and the loincloth option you need the phd from somehwere respectable like harvard. you still make crap $$ unless you discover something exciting and write books and get a movie deal.....

my undergrad was medical anthro....to get the grad students and the loincloth option you need the phd from somehwere respectable like harvard. you still make crap $$ unless you discover something exciting and write books and get a movie deal.....

Oh, I missed the part where the OP wanted the least amount of training.

Perfusionist...might be good for some but not for me. Back in 79, I went to a one year training program at Texas Heart Institute. Quit after six months and 85 cases. Too boring for me and I once went three days without seeing sunlight. THI was an damn assembly line!

I'd say

#1 CRNA (maybe AA)
#2 Perfusionist
#3 Physician Assistant

Hope that sounds somewhat correct

From what I have read, though, the opportunities for Perfusionists are becoming scarcer due to an overall reduction in heart surgeries (among other causes).

This really sucks, because I had been considering Perfusion as a career. Of course, I'd love for someone here to prove me wrong. I've just heard so many of the "when we post an opening for a Perfusionist, we get 70 applications" horror stories...

Six figures here, 40h/wk, no call........

I am not going to claim to know the ins and outs of a profession just by observation, but I've got lots of PA friends. Most are sub 100K in the suburban Atlanta region....But what are the highest paid subspecialties within the PA community? Also, what are the higher reimbursed specialties?

Reason I'm asking is that I do know a derm PA that essentially takes a very low starting salary with the option of end of year profits and also she gets what she bills for above a certain level. And she's knockin right at 200K. Is this normal?

Just wondering.

I am not going to claim to know the ins and outs of a profession just by observation, but I've got lots of PA friends. Most are sub 100K in the suburban Atlanta region....But what are the highest paid subspecialties within the PA community? Also, what are the higher reimbursed specialties?

Reason I'm asking is that I do know a derm PA that essentially takes a very low starting salary with the option of end of year profits and also she gets what she bills for above a certain level. And she's knockin right at 200K. Is this normal?

Just wondering.

derm, surgery, em, and ortho pa's all have the potential for > 100k after a few yrs. the avg for all pa's is 83,396/yr. the avg for all em pa's is 90k but this also includes folks who just do fast track. those who work outside of fast track tend to make more.some stats(keep in mind these are avgs, so low new grad salaries skew the results downward):

PA Salaries by Specialty 2005
In its 2005 census report, the AAPA reported mean total income (MTI) from primary employer for clinically practicing PAs working at least 32 hours a week. ADVANCE compiled this chart using data from AAPA's individual specialty reports.
Specialty
CT/CV Surgery $99,134
Dermatology $95,973
Neurosurgery $91,201
Emergency Medicine $90,079
Surgical Subspecialties $87,711
Orthopedics $86,982
Plastic Surgery $82,825
Radiology $82,099
Occupational Medicine $81,192
General Surgery $80,682
Urology $80,434
Pediatric Oncology $79,924
Medical Cardiology $79,660
Geriatrics $79,291
Psychiatry $78,055
Pediatric Subspecialties $77,223
Family Medicine $76,171
Allergy $75,891
Otorhinolaryngology $75,788
Surgical Oncology $75,538
Addiction Medicine $75,504
Pediatric Cardiology $75,479
Medical Nephrology $74,973
Medical Oncology $74,938
Medical Gastroenterology $74,422
Radiation Oncology $74,179
General Pediatrics $73,013
Medical Rheumatology $72,835
Medical Endocrinology $71,327
Ped. Gastroenterology $71,252
OB/GYN $70,619

crna's obviously make more across the board than the vast majority of pa's. no arguement there.

Members don't see this ad :)
crna's obviously make more across the board than the vast majority of pa's. no arguement there.

Hope you don't think I was making that claim. I just wanted to know some info within the PA community. Now I gotta go work locums because of the way our company is set up.

Hope you don't think I was making that claim. I just wanted to know some info within the PA community. Now I gotta go work locums because of the way our company is set up.
nope, just an observation. I'm a big crna/aa fan.

I'm surprised about perfusion making big bucks. As more and more cardiac stuff goes off-pump, isn't that a dying profession? Or are the ones that are left the ones that are raking it in?

As more and more cardiac stuff goes off-pump, isn't that a dying profession? Or are the ones that are left the ones that are raking it in?

Was wondering the same thing about OPCABGs. Even we are doing some and we're behind the times.

Do all PAs go through the same schooling and then apply to the field they want to work in (i.e., a new PA sends his application to a dermatologist to be a derm. PA), or are there specific residencies/training programs?

Do all PAs go through the same schooling and then apply to the field they want to work in (i.e., a new PA sends his application to a dermatologist to be a derm. PA), or are there specific residencies/training programs?
pa training is in the general medical model (although there are a few focus programs in surgery and peds-these have to also meet all the general objectives because everyone takes the same natl board exam every 6 yrs).
the nice thing about being a pa is that you can work in any field that you want. you could work in peds and then nephrology and then ct surgery or a day a week at each. there are optional residencies( see www.appap.org) but most people just start in low level positions and work their way up the food chain of their specialty as they increase in knowledge and procedural skill.
pa school is 1 yr of classroom didactics and 1 full yr of clinicals(actually some are slightly longer than a yr depending on the program).
for general pa info check out www.aapa.org

Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing that the higher-paying fields would be more competitive to break into? Or do most recently-graduated PAs just work their way up from family practice or something?

Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing that the higher-paying fields would be more competitive to break into? Or do most recently-graduated PAs just work their way up from family practice or something?
many folks continue in fields they have worked in before. for example:
paramedic/er tech: Emergency med
ortho/cast tech : ortho
surgical asst/scrub techs: surgery
resp therapist: pulmonology or icu/critical care
medical asst: fp/im/peds
physical therapist: ortho or rehab
nutritionist/floor nurse: hospitalist

in theory any new grad can apply for any position but it helps to have prior experience or training in an area. lost of positions are also open to new grads and will provide training.
many of the higher paying jobs(like ct surgery) also work you the hardest and burn through new grads left and right. it is not uncommon for a new grad working in ct surgery to work 60-80 hrs/week and be on call several nights/week. those who survive a few yrs of this get promoted and work fewer hrs making more money because they have more value to the practice and can cover the floor, the icu, 1st assist competently and cover er calls.

this is so area specific. as a pa with about a dozenPAs in my group--not one earns less than 100K with the top 3 around 140-150. crna`s in our area dont do that well (some do) but still over 100.

perfusionists make good money in some parts of the country. I go to med school with one that left the field due to shrinking salaries (never told me what he earned tho)

"Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing that the higher-paying fields would be more competitive to break into? Or do most recently-graduated PAs just work their way up from family practice or something?"..............

I was a respiratory therapist, but now work in Ortho. The connection is that my SP was a NAVY surgeon, and I was formerly a NAVY corpsman. I did FP before Ortho. All three of my jobs have been because of a military connection. Some say prior medic service is like a fraternity, but I think it points more to a history of medical experience and (Likely) responsible character (i.e.- work ethic). You have none of that with a very young new grad appearing out of nowhere.

Was wondering the same thing about OPCABGs. Even we are doing some and we're behind the times.
I was told that perfusionists make about $55-80K a year on average when I was looking into perfusionist school coming straight out of the military as an RT. Seeing as I can easily pull down $54K a year (4 x 12 hr shifts per week, before you figure in overtime, holiday pay, shift differentials, etc) as an RT with far less schooling, far less work and without a CT surgeon or anesthesiologist throwing a hissy fit at me, I said 'no thanks' to perfusionist school.

Nurse anesthetist average salary in the US last year was $130K. I know ones that make $175K in NY state not in New York City, which is pretty good money if your not in the city.

Anesthesiologist assistants earn comparably to CRNAs. Main difference is that they have to work under the guise of a physician, and you don't need an RN to get into school; instead, programs require that you complete a general pre-med curriculum.

I think I remember seeing dental hygienists' median salary of being $74,000/yr according to salary.com. If true, that should be right up there with making the most money for the least amount of didactic education required.

I think I remember seeing dental hygienists' median salary of being $74,000/yr according to salary.com. If true, that should be right up there with making the most money for the least amount of didactic education required.

While there may be some DH that make 74K, I know several and the money is nowhere near this amount. In addition, many dentists employ several part-time DH vs having one or two working fulltime and having the associated fulltime employee costs, OT, insurance, and retirement. Besides getting dental care at a reduced amount, there are often little perks or benefits with this job. Seems like the tactics that WalMart has supposedly utilized in the past.
http://www.ehow.com/how_18324_research-salary-ranges.html

Good lord. $29 an hour? Even without benefits, thats a fairly high salary for the education and relatively 'easy' work of a DH IMHO. Sorry if this rubs some people the wrong way, but compared to an ICU nurse, this job is easy.
http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/profiles/careers/106493.html

Nice find.

You are quite well known for you DA one liners, title heading, and bascially not a lot of contribution on here.

But then again dental hygiene isn't on the listed tract for Nurse Anesthesia now is it?

Yeah I admit, I used to be an ICU nurse. Get over it. You seem to have a distain for nurses and that's your own problem. I will become a CRNA next month so kiss off. And keep your idiotic comments to yourself.

You wanna sit around and thump chests? I'm game. My base salary with 14 weeks off trumps yours easily. Not considering the locums during my extended vacations.

So who's laughing now DA? +pity+

I'd say

#1 CRNA (maybe AA)
#2 Perfusionist
#3 Physician Assistant

Hope that sounds somewhat correct

I'm a PA, Perfusionist AND have my RN. Maybe I need to do CRNA.:laugh:

If you want to be a perfusionist, be ready to take a lot of crap from some hyper type A personalities. PA is not bad depending on the area you get into.

My suggestion: just find something you like and go do that. Money is great initially, but there are times you think about joining the monastery because of the personalities.

Mike

Simple, really. "Quality" of life is just as important as $$$$$. (40 hour weeks and no call, "Duh"...)

I know quite a few nurses who are in their early 30's who are making six-figures. A nurses has such a potential to make money if they choose to climb the ladder at their hospital.

Nursing is an administrative degree now (Well, has been for awhile...). But really, for that setting, why not just go to business school?

Nursing is not an administrative degree, it is clinical. You can indeed go on with degrees, BSN, MSN, PhD, etc, and move up the administrative ladder, up to CNO, CEO at whatnot, but essentially it is a clinical degree. I don't know any other profession where an associate degree can earn you over 100k a year. Isn't that crazy?? The nurse is at a central point in the patients care, and those various peripheral technologists around them have more education and less authority. I don't mean to bash the profession, as that has what has done so much for my life thus far however, an ADN with some on the job experience works his way into the ICU, later goes agency, and subsequently makes $40/hour or more in some cases. Add that up; if you work an extra day per week of 12 hour days... 48h/wk at $40/hr = $1920/wk and $92,160/year (not including a couple weeks for vacation and that). So for the level of education an associates in nursing with some career smarts makes more than all of us. Nice work week, liability limited to on the job stuff... you get my drift... Look, I have a master's in nursing, I teach these students in associate programs... I absolutely disagree with that degree being the entry point for that level of responsibility...

Anyway, if money and the least efforts are your equation, I just gave you the answer.

Nursing is an administrative degree now (Well, has been for awhile...

Administrative my posterior. This shows what you know about nursing.

Reactions: 1 user
I know quite a few nurses who are in their early 30's who are making six-figures. A nurses has such a potential to make money if they choose to climb the ladder at their hospital.

I know quite a few, too, that are strictly RNs (not CRNA, NP, etc.).

A friend is a nurse at Rush (Chicago) and works PRN since her husband has great insurance. She makes great cash, and she lives outside the city so she can enjoy it, too ;)

Oh, and we spent New Year's eve with a good nurse friend and her husband that just finished building their 600K house (with acreage). He's an electrician.

Nursing can be what you make it, pretty much like anything else!

Another less known profession called Radiation Therapy actually pays pretty well, considering the education level they go through in the United States (associates mostly, some BSc) . According to the BLS website, the average salary for therapist on May 2005 was more then 63,000. Also according to Salary.com the average is around 61,000. The level of patient interaction is exteremly high and you develop wonderful relationships with your patients as you often treat them five days a week for 5-7 weeks! The level of advancement in this profession is also great. Therapist can practice as Medical Dosimetrist creating treatment plans for patients, and you get paid close to six figures, if not, higher in some places. If that is not enough for you, you could always take it to the next level and become a Medical Physicist (two year masters degree) where salaries can reach as high as 150,000. The outlook is currently great as cancer rates are rising especially with the baby boomers getting older. There is a shortage of these skilled workers as many cancer centers are opening. The field is rewarding because of the fact that your treating cancer patients. Of course, there is a down side and that is not all your patients will beat the disease.

Anyways, I just thought I'd put that out for those interested..

Why 'glow' for only 60, when you can skip your MBA and be a Nurse Administrator!:D

bump. i wish i had seen this thread earlier. lots of good info. has anything changed since 07? :)

I'm a brand new PA. I started my first job 2wks out of school about 10 months ago. I work three 8 hour shifts in a rural ER and one clinic shift per week. My fifth day is a comp day to catch up on paperwork or take off if I'm already caught up. I'm on call 7-9 nights per month. My starting pay is $125-135k per year depending on how much call I pull. I believe I might be an outlier though. My 2nd and 3rd best offers were both ~$94k with no call.

One of the things I like most about my job is the continuity of care I can provide for my ER pts. My clinic day is friday and my schedule is mostly filled with ER follow ups; So I get to follow the ER pts and see my outcomes.

I'm a brand new PA. I started my first job 2wks out of school about 10 months ago. I work three 8 hour shifts in a rural ER and one clinic shift per week. My fifth day is a comp day to catch up on paperwork or take off if I'm already caught up. I'm on call 7-9 nights per month. My starting pay is $125-135k per year depending on how much call I pull. I believe I might be an outlier though. My 2nd and 3rd best offers were both ~$94k with no call.

One of the things I like most about my job is the continuity of care I can provide for my ER pts. My clinic day is friday and my schedule is mostly filled with ER follow ups; So I get to follow the ER pts and see my outcomes.

Did I mention how jealous I am....that's the job I want someday..the hold up is convincing the wife to go rural....might be able to sell vermont as we have family there.....

CRNA is probably the way to go...that, or a device representative. I have met CRNA making 190k with 40-50hr weeks, no call, etc..

Too many salary questions on SDN!!!

CRNA's make a lot of $$. I do know a PA that makes >200k. He does a particular specialty that does not have residents/fellows in the hospital he works. He is the best at what he does. The attending MD's in his specialty make sure that he is compensated handsomly because they do not want him going anywhere. He is well respected by all the staff, attending physicians of every specialty included.

I say, find what you are good at and go for it. You will wind up with a job that you love and pays you well.

I would say top 3 are CRNA, AA, PA
1. AA, CRNA (tight)
2. PA
if you go to gaswork.com and look for AA or CRNA jobs you will find job postings that start with 130k and with potential to make over 250k. AA is a shorter route but limited for a few states, CRNA is a longer route (since you need clinical experience) but open in many states

>200k in outpatient psychiatry as a NP. Hustle and make 250+
If the no shows actually came....maybe 300 but stretching.
congratulations, you must be at the top 10% of the highest earners NP'S

Reactions: 1 user