What's the first thing you're going to do(buy) with your intern salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MasterintuBater

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since we are all looking forward to getting PAID in July, what are you going to do with that monstrous new salary you're gonna get? I think I might spring for a 2 or 3 year old BMW 325Ci. God, it's great to be single.

Members don't see this ad.

I am going to DisneyWorld.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna buy the dopest freshest long white coat money can attain. Gortex? oh yeah. Fur collars? Cha-ching! Monograph? NUh-uh baby, I'm talken HOLOGRAM sucka. Stethescope holster? CROCODILE skinned - babababooooyeahhh. It gonna even have one of those inspector gadget extendable arms with a Haldol loaded syringe for any smack talking borderline psychotic I run into. Ohhhh yes my friends.

The rest goes to lottery tickets.

Engagement ring...cuz once thats on the finger, the debt is HERS TOO!

pay rent and buy food. How much do you guys think we're getting paid in residency? Ain't that much, son.

Reactions: 1 user
Originally posted by huktonfonix
pay rent and buy food. How much do you guys think we're getting paid in residency? Ain't that much, son.

30-35K a year can go a long way if you are single, live cheap, and spend most of your life in the hospital. It's not like I'm going to take my measley little salary and try to start nibbling away at my debt with it. I'll save that for when I'm making the real salary. I'm taking what little money I have coming to me and I'm going to enjoy it....watching as much pay-per-view ultimate fighting as I can afford...whilst I sit on a folding chair eating my ramen and watching it on my 50 in. HDTV that I can't operate with the remote b/c I can't afford batteries. Yes, I've got it all figured out.

i'm putting every possible penny in the stock mkt, just as i've been doing the last 4 yrs.

As an intern in Miami...............................all I can say is does it seem cheap to use a coupon for a lap dance? Not easy being in strip club heaven, i mean gentlemans cabaret heaven on intern salary. I really value education though......................Ive been putting a lot of chicks through school! (And my girlfriend always asks, why are you always broke?)

IN2BATE

"When things are all said and done; they are more often said than done" ----Anonymous philosopher :thumbup:

I'm gonna buy the dopest freshest long white coat money can attain. Gortex? oh yeah. Fur collars? Cha-ching! Monograph? NUh-uh baby, I'm talken HOLOGRAM sucka. Stethescope holster? CROCODILE skinned - babababooooyeahhh. It gonna even have one of those inspector gadget extendable arms with a Haldol loaded syringe for any smack talking boarderline psychotic I run into. Ohhhh yes my friends.

The rest goes to lottery tickets.

that...was...AWEEESOMMMEE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on debt, no? If you owe, say, 100k you will have about $900 left after taxes and loan payment. Just about what the federal govt let you have during school (if you are on fin aid.).

I can't imagine most of you buying too much. Then again, with no debt . . .well, it still aint much.

judd

I don't know of any residents making loan payments during residency.

Casey

Originally posted by cg1155
I don't know of any residents making loan payments during residency.

Casey

I did it, paid off nearly 10K a year.

I wanna save up for a Gateway plasma TV!

Unfortunately, it's gonna have to wait until I pay off my credit card bills

40k is still more money than I've seen in my whole life...

have you guys ever tried those McGriddles?

Congratulations everybody for being in whats estimated to be the top 2% of the nations learning curve and making minimum wage(when you avg your hours..............unless your one of those PMR jokers)!

Job well done everybody. (maybe those PMR people are onto something........hmmmmm)

IN2BATE

It is a tired line that doctors make less than minimum wage.

At an average PGY-1 salary of 40K, a resident working a full 80 hours every week for 50 weeks/yr makes $10 per hour, nearly twice minimum wage. (Also, remember that most programs give more than 2 weeks of vacation, and most residents work less than 80 hours on many of their rotations.) Plus, with my salary, I anticipate health benefits, subsidized meals, free uniform and a parking space.

Minimum wage is much more difficult to live off of than a resident's salary.

Originally posted by beriberi

At an average PGY-1 salary of 40K, a resident working a full 80 hours every week for 50 weeks/yr makes $10 per hour, nearly twice minimum wage. (Also, remember that most programs give more than 2 weeks of vacation, and most residents work less than 80 hours on many of their rotations.) Plus, with my salary, I anticipate health benefits, subsidized meals, free uniform and a parking space.

I agree. Most minimum wage jobs have NO upward mobility. Resident jobs PROMISE upward mobility. You only have to check out the pre-med forums to remind yourself that plenty of folks never get a chance to go to med school. In fact, most people in the world never get to really choose what they want to do, they end up working wherever they can.

We all complain sometimes, but don't forget the big picture.

in that case, TWICE as much better beer.

You kids have it so easy these days. :)

Back when it was hard :laugh: , before the 80 hour week, at 40k, after accounting for taxes, and assuming 50 100-hour work weeks, the hourly take home wage comes to $5.72.

So the data is somewhat outdated, more so relatively recently.

Most residents work less than 80 hours a week in most of their rotations... damn I really chose the wrong specialty.

Originally posted by kungfufishing
have you guys ever tried those McGriddles?

They are DEEELISH!

Of course, it's a fat-bomb, but it tastes great.:hardy:

yes the mcgriddles are better than my usual sausage biscuit, but they are so expensive.

i was joking about the minimum wage thing.................geeeeeeez. Anyway im glad i have my wall street friends in NY to take me out to dinner on their expense accounts.....................hhhhhhmmmmmmmm NOBU sushi..........couldnt do that on resident salary! (no bitter retorts please)

IN2BATE

"theres three rules to life son..................never trust a man with a pinky ring, never play cards with a woman who has a tatoo of a dagger, and..........ah, i forget the third. Good luck son.Go kick some but"

Yeah, its always good not to forget about those friends that are in the business world!

If I am craving a nice dinner, I'll just call up a drug rep and have her take me and some of my fellow EM interns out. That's the beauty of being in a new program, the drug reps are especially on your a$$.

With my first paycheck, I think I paid off a credit card balance that included a digital camera.

Q, DO

lots and lots of beer.....and a TEXAS catheter......