Whats the deal with the Caribbean schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scholj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from "it's easier to get into Caribbean schools," what are the major things to consider if one were to apply to med schools in the Caribbean? As far as residencies and Board exams go, how would someone with a degree from a carib fare against someone with a degree from a US school? And is it the same for Canadian schools and other international schools as well? (Mexico and Puerto Rico mainly).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Inferior education, more self-study, less access to residencies and blatant prejudice.

Other than that, it is still an MD.

scholj said:
Aside from "it's easier to get into Caribbean schools," what are the major things to consider if one were to apply to med schools in the Caribbean? As far as residencies and Board exams go, how would someone with a degree from a carib fare against someone with a degree from a US school? And is it the same for Canadian schools and other international schools as well? (Mexico and Puerto Rico mainly).

Thanks!

Your experiences as a Carib or any other foreign grad will be different depending on the location, specialty, your attitude and your personality. I don't think there is anyway to predict how it will work out for you. You certainly not the first, and definetely not the last person to go down this road. I work with many FMGs and Carib IMGs (I'm not a physician, yet). I have yet to see somebody bringing this up. I think many premeds create this "monster" in their own heads way too much. Competative means different things to different people. So I wouldn't sweat it too much. If you can get in the States...then do it by all means. But Carib is absolutly a viable option. Nobody even would ask you post residency where you went to school, in most cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
scholj said:

Thanks!

Canada= LCME Accredited =US School= Puerto Rican School (US territory) :)

Mexico = Carribean

Although if you stick to the big 3 in the Carribean SGU, Ross, AUC you are probably better off than going to Mexico because you will rotate in the U.S. and will be well prepped for the USMLE.

McGillGrad said:
Inferior education, more self-study

Depends on where you go...

scholj said:

Thanks!

If you can get into a US school, definitely go. The word is that the days of federal funding to Caribbean med students are going to end soon, which means that you would have to take out private loans with really high interest rates. Other things to consider are location-- for example, Ross is in third world country and the power and water go out all the time. Are you willing to deal with this? There are few/no supermarkets; life there is very different. On the other hand, other schools are in paradise with all the conveniences of home, but they are really expensive. Also consider where you want to practice in the future; some states won't accept Caribbean grads.

EMT036 said:

True...I keep forgetting that some US medical schools and some DO schools are not that much better than the top 4 Carib schools.

silas2642 said:
Also consider where you want to practice in the future; some states won't accept Caribbean grads.

Typical SDN myth about Caribbean, If you go to AUC, ROSS, SGU or SABA, their grads can practice in all 50 states. So please do not make a statement that some states will not accept "caribbean" In fact most states accept on a case by case basis. There is myth then there is the truth. (Also the power went out 2 x in 6 months and only for 30 minutes each time hardly anything that is a big deal)

oldpro said:
Typical SDN myth about Caribbean, If you go to AUC, ROSS, SGU or SABA, their grads can practice in all 50 states. So please do not make a statement that some states will not accept "caribbean" In fact most states accept on a case by case basis. There is myth then there is the truth. (Also the power went out 2 x in 6 months and only for 30 minutes each time hardly anything that is a big deal)

Very True.

scholj said:

Thanks!

I'm headed to St. Matthew's in Grand Cayman. I have been to Grand Cayman before and it is a very nice island, as well as some of my family was able to check out the campus and res hall while on vacation in Grand Cayman! Aside from that, St. Matthew's has made the process as easy as possible and has been very accomadating! I have my B.Sc in biochem with a 3.84 GPA as well as co-op degree which means I have 12+ months of solid research experience. I did well on the MCATs and was still waitlisted for a school in Canada. I feel that St. Matthew's is where I'm being led. Also, I know of several others who have done their MD in Caribbean schools - and they all have loved it! One guy wrote his Canadian exams and has a residency in Toronto after attending a Caribbean school. I think that you definitely have to watch where you go - there are good schools and some not so good schools. It never hurts to try! Good luck! :cool: :)

oldpro said:

Actually Texas no longer lets MD's from the caribbean practice..

tucomnvms1 said:

So the approval of Ross as a legit caribb school by the state of TX is a false statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
phisigman03 said:
So the approval of Ross as a legit caribb school by the state of TX is a false statement?

Unless he provides proof, he is lying.

I say he is lying.

canadian01 said:
I'm headed to St. Matthew's in Grand Cayman. I have been to Grand Cayman before and it is a very nice island, as well as some of my family was able to check out the campus and res hall while on vacation in Grand Cayman! Aside from that, St. Matthew's has made the process as easy as possible and has been very accomadating! I have my B.Sc in biochem with a 3.84 GPA as well as co-op degree which means I have 12+ months of solid research experience. I did well on the MCATs and was still waitlisted for a school in Canada. I feel that St. Matthew's is where I'm being led. Also, I know of several others who have done their MD in Caribbean schools - and they all have loved it! One guy wrote his Canadian exams and has a residency in Toronto after attending a Caribbean school. I think that you definitely have to watch where you go - there are good schools and some not so good schools. It never hurts to try! Good luck! :cool: :)
Hey Canadian01....what was your MCAT mark...with your stats you should NOT be going to the carib!! For the money you will be spending you should at least try a solid round of applications to US schools....search the forums....there are people in similar situations as you that have not resorted to a carib. education just yet.

tucomnvms1 said:

You need to check your facts before posting here! :rolleyes:

RULE §163.2 Full Texas Medical License

(b) Graduates of Acceptable Unapproved Medical Schools. To be eligible for full licensure, an applicant who is a graduate from a school outside the United States or Canada must:

(1) be 21 years of age;

(2) be of good professional character as defined under §163.1(9) of this title;

(3) have completed 60 semester hours of college courses as defined under §163.1(11) of this title;

(4) be a graduate of an acceptable unapproved medical school as defined under §163.1(2) of this title;

(5) have successfully completed a three-year training program of graduate medical training in the United States or Canada as defined under §163.1(14) of this title;

(6) submit evidence of passing an examination accepted by the board for licensure as defined under §163.6 of this title;

(7) pass the Texas Medical Jurisprudence Examination with a score of 75 or better within three attempts;

(8) be eligible for licensure in country of graduation as defined under §163.1(8) of this title;

(9) possess a valid certificate issued by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG);

(10) have the ability to communicate in the English language; and

(11) have supplied all additional information that the board may require concerning the applicant's medical school.

tucomnvms1 said:
HAHAHAHAHA MYTH!

See! If this was true it would be headlines. HAHAHAHAHA :D
I love SDN and myths

oldpro said:
HAHAHAHAHA MYTH!

See! If this was true it would be headlines. HAHAHAHAHA :D
I love SDN and myths

actually....tucomnvms1 is correct. particularly for all the caribbeans except ross i believe...pmtdenna is WRONG!

pmtdenna's post is direct from the medical board of texas and says...

"(4) be a graduate of an acceptable unapproved medical school as defined under §163.1(2) of this title;"

...if you go to the medical board website and search for section 163.1(2) you get this...

"section 163.1
(1) Acceptable approved medical school--A medical school or college located in the United States or Canada that has been accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Professional Education.

(2) Acceptable unapproved medical school--A school or college located outside the United States or Canada that:

(A) is substantially equivalent to a Texas medical school; and

(B) has not been disapproved by another state physician licensing agency unless the applicant can provide evidence that the disapproval was unfounded.

(3) Affiliated hospital--Affiliation status of a hospital with a medical school as defined by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and documented by the medical school in its application for accreditation.

(4) Applicant--One who files an application as defined in this section.

...so...as far as i know...ross is the only caribbean school that has been deemed by texas as "substantially equivalent to a texas medical school."

so the fact that caribbean graduates(ross being the exception) cannot practice in texas isNOT A MYTH!!!

:rolleyes: :laugh:

furthermore, the girl i am currently dating goes to st. matthews...she knows she(or any other caribbean school) cannot practice in cali, texas or arkansas and that ross is the only school that can practice in all 50 states.

don't quote me on thath though since i dont have the black and white to back me up.

oh yeah...u don't believe my previous post?

read it for your own damn self...

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/rules/rules/163.php

I have read it for my damm self....................MYTH!

How can you account for the SGU, AUC and SABA grads who practice in the good ole state of TEXAS? Huh? Real live Doctors that graduated from these schools is not enough proof I think so, you just another Caribbean basher I think. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Also th op said all Caribbean school no exceptions so wrong is wrong.

Lewis, Carlton
2006 Pediatrics Texas A&M College of Medicine -Scott and White Program, Scott and White Memorial Hospital, Temple, TXLewis, Carlton

Kovacev, Ted
2005 Surgery Christus St. Joseph Hospital Program, Christus St. Joseph Hospital, Houston, TX

From the SGU web site: http://www.sgu.edu/website/sguwebsite.nsf/Home/2006PostgraduateResidencyAppointments.htm

So how do these happen if they can't ????????? Seems you all do not know it all Huh?

oldpro said:

I'm glad to hear this. Is it expensive to live and eat there?

pkone said:
I'm glad to hear this. Is it expensive to live and eat there?

Really it's not too expensive to live on these islands, but it is not like the USA.

You are better to go to a US medical school, I just don't like know it all posting crap due to some kinda bias that is unfounded and posted to just bash.

I'm currently in medical school and have little time to keep posting the truth here, but for real you can get into some good residencies at times, depends on your board scores, just don't count on the best residencies, it is easier to grad from a school in the US but if that is not possible then the Caribbean is a viable alternative.

There are those who are on SDN who are major snobs and want you to give up, I don't, you don't have to. "The truth will set you free" Make the snobs who bash the caribbean prove it. I did.

first of all...i am dating a caribbean medical student. so how in the hell could i have anything against a caribbean grad?!

i just want to make sure people are informed of the ramifications of their decision to attend a caribbean medical school. not bashing at all.

let me finish you people who keep saying that the carib schools can practice in texas...haha...mortal kombat!!! FATALITY-style

this is the site that outlines texas' rules for licensure

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/apps/physician_eligibility.php

then follow the link that says "here" which will give you a list of all eligible schools in texas.

here's a link to the LIST OF SCHOOLS ELIGIBLE TO PRACTICE IN TEXAS...

http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/professionals/physicians/applicants/STDNHPSE.rtf

ross is the only school listed unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. you tell me if you can find any of the other caribbean schools on the list. holla at me when you do. if your school is not listed here...you will have to prove that it is acceptable for licensure in texas. how one goes about doing that i have no clue.

the reason there are docs from these schools practicing there is because texas recently made these changes and if they were licensed before the changes...well thats ex post facto(or whatever the legal term is for not being affected by a law if it is made after you already did something...theres a reason i'm not in law ;) ) furthermore, carib schools can send people there for licensure...st matthew's has some people in surgery at baylor. but they will have to find some way to prove to the texas medical board that they should be licensed if they want to stay in texas.

so my final verdict on the situation is that it is NOT A MYTH!!!

NOT BASHING CARIBBEAN MED SKOOLS...JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE ARE AWARE OF THE RULES

oldpro...please stop spreading myths on SDN. ;)

UCLAMAN said:
first of all...i am dating a caribbean medical student. so how in the hell could i have anything against a caribbean grad?!

i just want to make sure people are informed of the ramifications of their decision to attend a caribbean medical school. not bashing at all.

let me finish you people who keep saying that the carib schools can practice in texas...haha...mortal kombat!!! FATALITY-style

then follow the link that says "here" which will give you a list of all eligible schools in texas.

ross is the only school listed unless my eyes are playing tricks on me. you tell me if you can find any of the other caribbean schools on the list. holla at me when you do. if your school is not listed here...you will have to prove that it is acceptable for licensure in texas. how one goes about doing that i have no clue.

the reason there are docs from these schools practicing there is because texas recently made these changes and if they were licensed before the changes...well thats ex post facto(or whatever the legal term is for not being affected by a law if it is made after you already did something...theres a reason i'm not in law ;) ) furthermore, carib schools can send people there for licensure...st matthew's has some people in surgery at baylor. but they will have to find some way to prove to the texas medical board that they should be licensed if they want to stay in texas.

NOT BASHING CARIBBEAN MED SKOOLS...JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE ARE AWARE OF THE RULES
I probably shouldn't get involved in this seeing as I am a US grad but its a slow night in the unit so here it goes.....It actually states that you have to "prove that your school is substantially equivalent to a Texas medical school", which was similar language to my california license app (I'm a colorado grad..aka prove your equal to a Cali school). I simply showed transcripts and a diploma to apply (which coincidentally is required regardless and low and behold 8 weeks later and 800 bucks in the whole.....I had a license). Anyway, the point I am making is that thier web site states that the schools listed do not have to prove that they are equal (likely secondary to many previous apps), not that those are the only schools allowed. I could be wrong as I didn't apply for a texas licence and likely never will but the language is remarkably familiar....

totalbodypain said:
I probably shouldn't get involved in this seeing as I am a US grad but its a slow night in the unit so here it goes.....It actually states that you have to "prove that your school is substantially equivalent to a Texas medical school", which was similar language to my california license app (I'm a colorado grad..aka prove your equal to a Cali school). I simply showed transcripts and a diploma to apply (which coincidentally is required regardless and low and behold 8 weeks later and 800 bucks in the whole.....I had a license). Anyway, the point I am making is that thier web site states that the schools listed do not have to prove that they are equal (likely secondary to many previous apps), not that those are the only schools allowed. I could be wrong as I didn't apply for a texas licence and likely never will but the language is remarkably familiar....

you are correct...i did write that in my previous post and i quote myself "if your school is not listed here...you will have to prove that it is acceptable for licensure in texas. how one goes about doing that i have no clue."

furthermore, i highly doubt that proving a school that is not on the list(ie...certain carib schools) is "equivalent" to a texas school is a matter of just showing transcripts and a diploma.

UCLAMAN said:
you are correct...i did write that in my previous post and i quote myself "if your school is not listed here...you will have to prove that it is acceptable for licensure in texas. how one goes about doing that i have no clue."

furthermore, i highly doubt that proving a school that is not on the list(ie...certain carib schools) is "equivalent" to a texas school is a matter of just showing transcripts and a diploma.

While I appluade the concerted effort to ensure that applicants are aware of this kind of thing ( ie.making usre you will be eligible to practice in all states etc.) isn't this the kind of thing they should already be knowledgable about? I mean...seriously...who drops $200,000 on an education without intricate information regarding future goals. Sorry....maybe its the merlot talking.....but the bottom line is.....if applying to the caribbean...be sure and know this kind of info. ......its key. And before someone replies the obvious "well thats why this thread exists" ....no...this issue has been brought up umpteen times before...and the ONLY kids who find this an issue are the same ones who refuse to accept that they got an "f" in Path. cause' they failed to study. I would be interested to see the correlationn on that study. Any takers?Seriously kids...if going carib. get informed..... :idea:

bulletproof said:
While I appluade the concerted effort to ensure that applicants are aware of this kind of thing ( ie.making usre you will be eligible to practice in all states etc.) isn't this the kind of thing they should already be knowledgable about?

i think you'd be surprised...people don't always know what they are getting into.

also...had to win the pissing contest. ;)

UCLAMAN said:

wrong and not true

It is a MYTH when you make a general statement that "Carbbean Schools" you are making broad statement to tarnish them and you are not telling the truth, hence a myth and a bash. Like I said I can spend my time not studying and post 100's of grads throughout the last 5 years from all 4 Caribbean medical schools that practice in Texas now but you want to say that since you date a Caribbean grad that makes you an expert? HAHAHAHAHA so what? I posted a couple grads clearly in TX and others posted grads so.........we have evidence and you have claims.

You stop bashing :thumbdown:

UCLAMAN said:
actually....tucomnvms1 is correct. particularly for all the caribbeans except ross i believe...pmtdenna is WRONG!

"(4) be a graduate of an acceptable unapproved medical school as defined under §163.1(2) of this title;"

...if you go to the medical board website and search for section 163.1(2) you get this...

"section 163.1
(1) Acceptable approved medical school--A medical school or college located in the United States or Canada that has been accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the American Osteopathic Association Bureau of Professional Education.

(2) Acceptable unapproved medical school--A school or college located outside the United States or Canada that:

(B) has not been disapproved by another state physician licensing agency unless the applicant can provide evidence that the disapproval was unfounded.

(3) Affiliated hospital--Affiliation status of a hospital with a medical school as defined by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education and documented by the medical school in its application for accreditation.

...so...as far as i know...ross is the only caribbean school that has been deemed by texas as "substantially equivalent to a texas medical school."

so the fact that caribbean graduates(ross being the exception) cannot practice in texas isNOT A MYTH!!!

Lets be honest you backed up a post that said "Texas no longer allows caribbean MD's practice"

I said it was a MYTH

It is, you basher's always twist the truth to make what you want the truth.

Truth is you go to the Caribbean for Meschool you are a FMG so you may have to go through some approvals in the states it is not automatic approval.

That is the truth. Some states are case by case basis.

oldpro said:
wrong and not true

It is a MYTH when you make a general statement that "Carbbean Schools" you are making broad statement to tarnish them and you are not telling the truth, hence a myth and a bash. Like I said I can spend my time not studying and post 100's of grads throughout the last 5 years from all 4 Caribbean medical schools that practice in Texas now but you want to say that since you date a Caribbean grad that makes you an expert? HAHAHAHAHA so what? I posted a couple grads clearly in TX and others posted grads so.........we have evidence and you have claims.

You stop bashing :thumbdown:

hmm...ok...my point in saying that i date a caribbean grad is to point out that i am not bashing them, not to point out that i am an expert. you are the on that said that. apparently you are too dense to comprehend that.

second...i really do not understand how i have "claims"...do u not freakin read the links? i posted the freakin black and white for you to read that ross is the only school currently recognized by texas. why dont you post for me these people's licenses. everything i have said about the caribbean schools is supported by actual texas medical board links/documents. if anything...you are the one making "claims."

you seem like you have a chip on your shoulder. i show actual proof straight from the texas medical board about the process of licensure and you get all spazzo and defensive. whats up with that?

it would be better if you can tell the rest of SDN how they can get around texas' licensure issues rather than arguing that the ACTUAL LINKS FROM THE TEXAS MEDICAL BOARD are only "claims."

:rolleyes:

UCLAMAN said:
hmm...ok...my point in saying that i date a caribbean grad is to point out that i am not bashing them, not to point out that i am an expert. you are the on that said that. apparently you are too dense to comprehend that.

second...i really do not understand how i have "claims"...do u not freakin read the links? i posted the freakin black and white for you to read that ross is the only school currently recognized by texas. why dont you post for me these people's licenses. everything i have said about the caribbean schools is supported by actual texas medical board links/documents. if anything...you are the one making "claims."

you seem like you have a chip on your shoulder. i show actual proof straight from the texas medical board about the process of licensure and you get all spazzo and defensive. whats up with that?

No chip on my shoulder I'm not the one throwing a tantrum here, All I want is the truth. You are the one insulting me in public, HAHAHAHA.

You can't handle that Caribbean Grads have and can practice in the state of TEXAS. Have been proven. I bet you are one of the crowd at your school who wants Caribbean school to be banned in the US.

No I do not accept that dating a Caribbean Student is proof you are not biased. Sorry it really doesn't prove anything.

Stop insulting me and just stick with the facts Like I have. :thumbdown:

Also I have read the rules and laws for around 20 of the US states before coming to the Caribbean, and practiced in 3 states as an RN for 18 years and knew many grads from the Caribbean, some are the TOP Doctors in the areas so you wanna just claim stuff or have the proof? :sleep:

oldpro said:
Also I have read the rules and laws for around 20 of the US states before coming to the Caribbean, and practiced in 3 states as an RN for 18 years and knew many grads from the Caribbean, some are the TOP Doctors in the areas so you wanna just claim stuff or have the proof? :sleep:

oh so being an RN makes you an expert too, right? :scared:

haha.

and gees...will anyone else out there let me know if the actual links to the texas medical board rules and regulations is not proof? let me know who is giving proof and who is making claims.

i already admitted that i do not know how schools not listed on that document gain licensure. if anyone else does, perhaps they could give out a little info. i would love for my girlfriend to be able to practice in texas. in fact, i would love for my girlfriend to be able to practice in cali because i'd like to practice there. so if anyone knows how fill us in.

UCLAMAN said:

So i finally got the links to work. How accurrate is this list b/c when I was going through it I saw South VietNam listed on there. Well, the thing is South Vietnam was gone back in 1975 ???

phisigman03 said:
So i finally got the links to work. How accurrate is this list b/c when I was going through it I saw South VietNam listed on there. Well, the thing is South Vietnam was gone back in 1975 ???

i think it is still isted because there are graduates of south vietnam who may want to practice in texas after years of practice in another US state. make sense?

i am pretty sure its a fairly recent list since ross is on there but the other caribbean schools are not.

This is so childish I can't believe I'm reading it on this forum.

I'm an IMG, applied and got a license in TX and tired relicensure past year. My school was on the list. I submitted my documents and application within 3-4 weeks. Guess how long before they give you a license? 6 months! You also have to wait before they give you permission to take the Jurisprudence exam after submitting everything, then you HAVE to appear for a personal interview in AUSTIN.
If being on the list means much, they will probably give you a license even if you have to be grandfathered (unless other grads already have a license in TX). However, I doubt if they will not give you a harder time (possibly more documetations, longer processing, additional interview) as I find this state the HARDEST one to hurdle. If your school is not on the list, it's probably easier to get a license somewhere else then apply to TX but you'll be surprised by the amount of waiting and phone tags with licensing administrators you have to endure.

Maybe the best thing to do is to stay away from TX.

phisigman03 said:
Maybe the best thing to do is to stay away from TX.

or as the license plate says, "don't mess with texus."

Jack

This is kind of ridiculous. If you want to practice in Texas, call the Texes Licensing Board and ask if you can, coming from whatever school you're coming from.

EMT036 said:
VERY MUCH SO, I CAN SAY MY FRIENDS AT SGU got a way better education and some better residencies than my friends that graduated from their state medical schools. Not to mention the beautiful weather they experienced and the international/diverse student body, as well as doing rotations in NYC and CALI.

UCLAMAN said:

"section 163.1

The SGU grad ER doc who conducted my SGU interview in Texas would probably disagree with you. And so would the cardiology fellow, pediatrician, Internist, and orthopedic surgery resident who spoke to us at the SGU open houses in Houston and Dallas.

What exactly do you gain by spreading misinformation?

UCLAMAN said:

"section 163.1

I fail to see how you proved me wrong. The leaps in your "logic" are huge. But I think you said it best when you stated "as far as I know". Based upon your postings on this subject, that isn't very far. I'm not even sure why you are here posting if you are a US med student. Oh, that right, your selfless caring for the uninformed. My God man, get a life!! :laugh:

pmtdenna said:
I fail to see how you proved me wrong. The leaps in your "logic" are huge. But I think you said it best when you stated "as far as I know". Based upon your postings on this subject, that isn't very far. I'm not even sure why you are here posting if you are a US med student. Oh, that right, your selfless caring for the uninformed. My God man, get a life!! :laugh:
From friends experience and visiting the ISLAND and seeing myself, SGU is on par if not better in education, facilities and technologies than most US STATE MED schools. And about the OP talking about licensing, etc... Just for a one of a million examples, did you know that the most recent Chief Resident of Radiation Oncology at John Hopkins University was a SGU. I think JHU is a little too bright to put a grad from a school they did not believe provided the tools to REPRESENT a key department in their prestigious Health Care System.

From friends experience and visiting the ISLAND and seeing myself, SGU is on par if not better in education, facilities and technologies than most US STATE MED schools. And about the OP talking about licensing, etc... Just for a one of a million examples, did you know that the most recent Chief Resident of Radiation Oncology at John Hopkins University was a SGU. I think JHU is a little too bright to put a grad from a school they did not believe provided the tools to REPRESENT a key department in their prestigious Health Care System.

My dog once ate a Caribbean medical student.

BTW, I am thinking of including SGU in my list of skrewls to apply to this fall and they are telling me very clearly that they have graduates practicing in the state of Texas where I live. Now as a Texan, I am qualified to say that this state has its head deeply embedded in its gluteus maximus for many things, probably up to and including medical licensure. But I cannot imagine SGU openly saying that one could practice here without really being able to put some peanut butter on their jelly, if you know what I mean...........

Having said that, I do work overseas, especially in Pakistan and Tibet. And I was very surprised to learn a few months ago that the new medical Director of Aga Khan University in Karachi did his residency at Baylor College of Medicine.

Also, a friend of mine is Chair of Infectious Disease at a hospital here in sweatyland and almost NONE of his residents and new doctors are from America. Lots are from AUB in Lebanon, and in fact, I just met one of his new peeps and we chatted about foreign medicine because he is from Germany.

Now, I'm not a doctor, (yet) and I'm not even a medical student (yet) but I do not see how all of these people could practise medicine and complete residencies here if Texas prohibited it. Maybe I dont get it, but it seems fairly straightforward to me.

Regards my last post -

America is not the center of the universe, nor is it the center of all of the world's innovation in medicine. This isn't anti-Americanism, this is fact. We have the best medical system in the world, which is rapidly turning into the crappies medical system in the world (G7nations, only please) because of our greed and completely inept politicians.

Having said that, we need to wake up to the fact that the world doesn't march to the American beat.

Doctors from foreign nations are not automatically inferior. This sort of attitude is why "ugly American" is a true phenomenon and an unfortunate one.

All this to say that we new (hopefully) medical persons must take a stand against this sort of thing if we are to help save medicine. Otherwise, our country will make a poor copy of the Canadian or English systemes and we Americans will end up carrying some very rough soap in the shower of healthcare thanks to those who claim to represent us.

:)

Sporky said:
My dog once ate a Caribbean medical student.

BTW, I am thinking of including SGU in my list of skrewls to apply to this fall and they are telling me very clearly that they have graduates practicing in the state of Texas where I live. Now as a Texan, I am qualified to say that this state has its head deeply embedded in its gluteus maximus for many things, probably up to and including medical licensure. But I cannot imagine SGU openly saying that one could practice here without really being able to put some peanut butter on their jelly, if you know what I mean...........

Having said that, I do work overseas, especially in Pakistan and Tibet. And I was very surprised to learn a few months ago that the new medical Director of Aga Khan University in Karachi did his residency at Baylor College of Medicine.

Also, a friend of mine is Chair of Infectious Disease at a hospital here in sweatyland and almost NONE of his residents and new doctors are from America. Lots are from AUB in Lebanon, and in fact, I just met one of his new peeps and we chatted about foreign medicine because he is from Germany.

Now, I'm not a doctor, (yet) and I'm not even a medical student (yet) but I do not see how all of these people could practise medicine and complete residencies here if Texas prohibited it. Maybe I dont get it, but it seems fairly straightforward to me.

AUB is a big name in medicine, its the version of the Harvard in the US for the middle-east. AUB grads tend to be EXTREMELY bright and end up in great residencies.