What's the deal on January 20, '05?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused and would appreciate some help...

I was on the SF Match site looking at the timeline and was wondering what happens on January 20 (1 day before match day) - are we all supposed to get a call from our dean?

I know that on Jan 21 we find out what program we matched into but what's that magic date when we find out whether or not we match into ophtho? Is this Jan 20? If god forbid we don't match when do we find out? 1 week or 1 day before match day?

Thanks and best of luck to all!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Golgi,
You find out if you matched on match day. Unlike the NRMP match, you will not receive an email telling you whether or not you matched. But, any scrambling (which is non-existent anyway), is scheduled to occur when vacancies are released several days afterward.

There was a rumor last year that the unmatched applicants would receive a courtesy call prior to match day from SFMatch. This was false.

I like it...it adds to the drama.

HEY!!! Good luck you guys! For the great majority of you, all your hard work and effort will soon pay off. The OPH interview trail is a grueling one, so I'm sure you are all relieved that it's mostly over. If anyone suffers the fate of not matching, feel free to PM me with questions. Best of luck!

Geddy

I thought Jan 20 was when we found out, but from looking at the timeline on the SF Match website, it's when our Dean's Offices find out. They have 24 hours to tell us where we matched, and if it doesn't happen by that time, we can call SF Match ourselves.

I'd hope Dean's Offices would be decent enough to tell us the same day and not draw it out even longer because they can.

http://www.sfmatch.org/r-oph/oph_timetable.html

I don't know about all programs, but many PD's and chairs will make personal phone calls to each matched applicant. The suspense may end when you look at your caller ID as the call comes in.