What's the Best way to study for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hannan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, you geniuses, I am at my 3rd semester of College, 18 year old. I know it's almost like being in the 2nd grade and thinking about finishing High School if I am thinking about getting done with residency after Med school.

My big Question was, "What can I do from now onwards so I don't have to feel like cramming in too much studying skills at the end when I'll have inadequate time to study for MCAT?"

Can you guys help me with any studying tips, or any specific books or specific websites or anything else which will help me study.

Thanks a lot , everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, do not start studying for the MCAT atleast 3-4 months prior to the test. Why? because you are not only studying concepts, but also building stamina to take the test. If you start too early, you will begin forgetting and you wont be able to keep that stamina for too long. If you lose your stamina early, you will crash by test day.

Second, take a prep course, study everything they give you and take the practice tests to assess where you are.

Third, take courses in logic, biochemistry, genetics, microbio and physiology. These are not necessary, but they will help you read the passages.

In my opinion, the best method is to learn the material while taking the premed courses. If you do this, no cramming will be needed.

To study for the MCAT, I didn't take a course or anything like that...about two months prior to the MCAT I skimmed through the Kaplan review book, only spending time on the sections that I wasn't confident in...I only spent a few days on this. I spent the rest of the time doing first practice problems to get used to what types of questions are on the MCATs and then practice exams to get used to the format and time pressure. I'm of the belief that getting familiar with the format and gaining a confident attitude is much more productive than cramming 3 years worth of material in your brain in 3 months and hoping it all stays in there.

Obviously, everyone has their own method, but this worked for me. Best advice I can give: RELAX (which, for you, probably means not thinking about the MCAT for another year and a half).