Whats the best option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kobethegoat24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a senior right now with hopes of applying to med school at some point. I know I will have to take a couple of gap years to add volunteer experience and shadowing. But I still havent taken my MCAT. My college is about 30 minuets away from my home so I have been living with parents. I had initially planned to study starting in january and take the MCAT in may or june then moving out. But the semester got so crazy I couldn't study at all. So now its looking like I will have to take the January MCAT in 2019.
My parents want me to stay for 6 more months and just full time study for the mcat and then move out. However, I feel horrible if I were to do that and was thinking of just moving out in August and working full time while studying for the mcat. I know a lot of people have taken the mcat after studying with a full time job.
So my question is, what do you think I should do, stay for another 6 months at home and study full time for the mcat or move out and study while working full time? Im sure the answer is probably simple but stress has completely fogged up my brain.

Members don't see this ad.

Although it's completely doable, I would recommend staying at home and study for the MCAT. During this time you want to devote a majority of your time and resources to provide you the greatest possibility of doing well on the MCAT. Taking on a full time job is similar to a school semester and I imagine that your studying will not be optimal.

Reactions: 1 users
I would stay at home and do some light work, such as scribing per diem, or volunteering while you study. Moving out also brings a whole deal of responsibilities that takes away valuable study time. Once you're done with the MCAT, enjoy your free time and travel!

Members don't see this ad :)
Stay home and study. 6 months of focused, dedicated, disciplined studying, with no other major responsibilities, and you’ll kill the MCAT.

Reactions: 2 users
Live at home. Get a part-time job in healthcare and volunteer as well. Use that time to study and move other aspects of your application forward.

Thanks everyone for your answers

Reactions: 1 user