Whats the average age for US grad when then enter 1st year of Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Just curious. We do 6 years of MD back in my med school, and before that was 2 years of Alevels, so I graduated med school at age of 25. Now it will take at least 2 years to clear all the USMLE exams, and hopefully/god-willing, I'll enter in 2015 match. I'll be 27 at the time I apply for the match, and when the results come out, I'll be a few months away from 28.

So whats the average age when US grad's match into a residency position? I think I am a bit old to start residency compared to US grads.

Members don't see this ad.

27/28 Is absolutely not significantly older then US students.

If an American student went straight from undergraduate college through medical school most would be around age 26 when they started residency. However many either take longer to finish college or take some time off between college and medical school. This the average starting age for residency tends to be in the late 20s although there is a wide range. You have nothing to worry about.

I went straight through. HS->undergrad->MS->residency. Will be a 29 year old attending next july. And I am the youngest that I know of. Your fine. My roommates were 24,26,29 when we started med school.

I also have 2 co-residents who are In their 40s.

I was slightly younger than the average med American med student, and I'll be starting residency a month before I turn 28. Many people are well into their 30s. 25-26 is definitely on the young end of the spectrum.

I start residency at 30. Spending 5 years in my 20s living life was the best decision I ever made.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently 25 and about start my PGY-2 year in residency. I was 25 as an intern and just recently turned 25

I started at 26, turned 27 at the end of my first year. I think the average med school matriculant is a little over 25. My friend went straight through was an attending at 28 or 29 and a few times he was on the teaching service he was the youngest person on the team.

The range of age at the start of post graduate medical education is 25 to 27. Or 26. Most finish at 30 to 31. Private practice, licensed from than on. Over 37 years ago, I started at 26, finished PS residency at 33. My son started at 27 to finish at 31 in FM. Just more insight to the OP.

The range of age at the start of post graduate medical education is 25 to 27. Or 26. Most finish at 30 to 31. Private practice, licensed from than on. Over 37 years ago, I started at 26, finished PS residency at 33. My son started at 27 to finish at 31 in FM. Just more insight to the OP.

There's no way it's that young nowadays. My med school class had an average age of about 25 when we started M1, so on average we are 29 when starting residency. I think that may be a slightly old class, but the average is only a year younger.

Hello, I learned everything while in the womb via DIT lectures that my mom played for me. Although I currently can only communicate via a transvaginal touchpad, I will be born next week and I am scheduled to begin pgy-1 in July. Any advice? I am really excited to start my first month of ob/gyn. Ironic I know!!!!!

Hello, I learned everything while in the womb via DIT lectures that my mom played for me. Although I currently can only communicate via a transvaginal touchpad, I will be born next week and I am scheduled to begin pgy-1 in July. Any advice? I am really excited to start my first month of ob/gyn. Ironic I know!!!!!

Hahahahaha Thank you for this :thumbup:

There's no way it's that young nowadays. My med school class had an average age of about 25 when we started M1, so on average we are 29 when starting residency. I think that may be a slightly old class, but the average is only a year younger.

It depends of you're talking mean or median. The mean age of US matriculants is like 25.7. As a result, the average grad age is about 30.

There are far more much *older* though and very few enroll younger than 20 or 21. As a result, the median age is lower. Not sure what, but I'd say closer to 23 or 24.

For the OP: you're fine.

:laugh:

Best post I've seen on SDN.

I went HS->College->MS->residency. Turned 26 on day of MS graduation and will be 29 just beforristart as an attending. You can't do it much faster than that with the exception of a 3+4 program or if your a genius finishing HS at 15. Your fine.

I went HS->College->MS->residency. Turned 26 on day of MS graduation and will be 29 just beforristart as an attending. You can't do it much faster than that with the exception of a 3+4 program or if your a genius finishing HS at 15. Your fine.

Did you really just post that again in the same thread?

How do you think program directors would view young age?

I understand that the age is screened, but if they were to find out, would this be viewed positively or negatively?

the age is not screened. there is nothing stopping programs from filtering applications by age, race, visa status etc.
Not exactly true.

When I install ERAS, it gives me the choice to screen items such as age (date of birth, actually), sex, visa status, picture, etc. It's my choice if I want to screen these things or not. I screen all of the federally mandated issues (such as age). Whether most programs do or don't, I don't know.

So, yes, there is "nothing stopping" us from doing this. But there is a built in mechanism to also avoid doing it.

Visa status is not a protected class. There is nothing wrong with filtering applications by visa status.

I went HS->College->MS->residency. Turned 26 on day of MS graduation and will be 29 just beforristart as an attending. You can't do it much faster than that with the exception of a 3+4 program or if your a genius finishing HS at 15. You're fine.

Fixed that for ya. :laugh:

Yup. Have had 2 full bottles of wine tonight and didn't realize I had already posted in the thread. Feel free to ignore the duplicate thread as I see it really bothers you.

Oh, that explains it. :laugh:

As it turns out, I'm drinking a bottle myself right now! :D

Hey everyone,

Just curious. We do 6 years of MD back in my med school, and before that was 2 years of Alevels, so I graduated med school at age of 25. Now it will take at least 2 years to clear all the USMLE exams, and hopefully/god-willing, I'll enter in 2015 match. I'll be 27 at the time I apply for the match, and when the results come out, I'll be a few months away from 28.

So whats the average age when US grad's match into a residency position? I think I am a bit old to start residency compared to US grads.

YOUR too old. I mean YOU'RE. I mean YOUR. Whatever--nobody on SDN can spell anyway.

Pretty much screwed.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/archive/index.php/t-185799.html

and

http://www.theonion.com/video/worlds-oldest-neurosurgeon-turns-100,14160/

bwahahah. dude, you're (your?) fine.

good luck and study hard.

Edit: but Pediatrics and Psychiatry might not take you. Be afraid....VERY (V-UHER'Y?) afraid :) )