What's some advice for freshman year (of college)?

listem

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. So I've been lurking SDN forums for a while now, and have the general idea about things for Pre-Med (which is all I'm going to worry about right now, I've been known to worry about things in Med school/residency which only makes me miserable). I still have a couple questions that i haven't found specific answers to though. Some may be a bit vague and therefore unanswerable; but let me know if that's the case.

Basically the big question is, I'm going to be entering my freshman year of college next year (most likely UCF). What should I start getting done from day 1 to start preparing myself for med school when the opportunity comes?

In elaboration,

1) Which classes would be good to take first year? I don't plan to use my AP science credit, which is just Biology, because first I want to review the material again and two because I've heard it helps GPA, which is a bonus. But other than Biology I, MS I (ROTC), and maybe a class from my minor, which are the must do classes, what else should I take first year/semester? Another science I class? or a mathematics/literature class?

Just to clarify, all science i take will have lab.

2) I am going to do Army ROTC, and I understand joining it will not severely give me benefit when applying for med school. I also understand, even though I hope for the best, that I may not even get a chance to do med school until after I've done service time. I'm fine with that, because the reason I will do ROTC is because I WANT to do the military, and have lived a military lifestyle, so soldier before med student will not affect me much. In any case, I will be joining it. The question is whether or not ROTC would be a good EC to include in a resume/application. I believe it's a very good leadership EC and can't believe it would become something negative if put down in an app. In any case, would it be a good EC to include with other ECs?

3) I understand volunteering and EC's are very important to do undergrad. This may be a silly question, but should they ALL be medical? Or do they look good as long as it serves the community? For example, if I have done clinical volunteering, would having volunteering at a food bank or the sort also look good? (maybe I could do a simple volunteering like that along with a job in the summer?)

4) Research and Internships. I know you have to do them. Question is, how? I know there's a couple of research programs in the universities that you can sign up for. Are those good, or should you look for research on your own? If so, how do you find it? Do you ask professors or what? Same for internships. Should you intern with an MD (I'm guessing that's the most logical), or can you intern with something else? If so, do you need to pay to do so? (I've actually heard people are paid stipends for internships. I wonder who they intern with...) And again, should it all be medical/clinical, or does researching things about general biology along with clinically related research look good? Oh, and too many questions, but should you do these during the academic year or in the summer, or is it unimportant when?

5) Lastly, shadowing. How do you get across doing it? I'm under the idea you just find an M.D. and ask them until you find someone willing.

And that's pretty much it. I know it's quite a lot, and I'm probably being an annoying little kid, but this would help me to clarify a whole lot of things. I appreciate any help and comments you may give me. Thank you for looking! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Well, aren't you quite the eager beaver. I jest. There's no harm in being prepared. I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1) Which classes would be good to take first year? I don't plan to use my AP science credit, which is just Biology, because first I want to review the material again and two because I've heard it helps GPA, which is a bonus. But other than Biology I, MS I (ROTC), and maybe a class from my minor, which are the must do classes, what else should I take first year/semester? Another science I class? or a mathematics/literature class?

Take the standard course schedule your first semester. Bio I, English 101, Calculus or some other math, and one other gen ed. If you really want to, take Chem I, but don't feel like it's necessary just because everyone else is doing it. You have plenty of time to get all your requirements in.

2) I am going to do Army ROTC, and I understand joining it will not severely give me benefit when applying for med school. I also understand, even though I hope for the best, that I may not even get a chance to do med school until after I've done service time. I'm fine with that, because the reason I will do ROTC is because I WANT to do the military, and have lived a military lifestyle, so soldier before med student will not affect me much. In any case, I will be joining it. The question is whether or not ROTC would be a good EC to include in a resume/application. I believe it's a very good leadership EC and can't believe it would become something negative if put down in an app. In any case, would it be a good EC to include with other ECs?

Sure, sounds good. No school is going to discount you for doing ROTC. If you really want to do medical school, though, you should consider forgoing ROTC in undergrad and applying to USUHS for medical school or doing the HPSP scholarship. I'll let you do your own research on these if you haven't already heard of them, but there are other ways to have a military career in medicine that allow you to do straight out of undergrad.

3) I understand volunteering and EC's are very important to do undergrad. This may be a silly question, but should they ALL be medical? Or do they look good as long as it serves the community? For example, if I have done clinical volunteering, would having volunteering at a food bank or the sort also look good? (maybe I could do a simple volunteering like that along with a job in the summer?)

No, they shouldn't all be medical. I'm not on an adcomm, so I can't say for sure, but I imagine it's probably helpful to have a more diverse range of volunteering experiences to show that you're well-rounded and all that. Again, no school is going to hold non-medical volunteering against you. I can only see it helping.

4) Research and Internships. I know you have to do them. Question is, how? I know there's a couple of research programs in the universities that you can sign up for. Are those good, or should you look for research on your own? If so, how do you find it? Do you ask professors or what? Same for internships. Should you intern with an MD (I'm guessing that's the most logical), or can you intern with something else? If so, do you need to pay to do so? (I've actually heard people are paid stipends for internships. I wonder who they intern with...) And again, should it all be medical/clinical, or does researching things about general biology along with clinically related research look good? Oh, and too many questions, but should you do these during the academic year or in the summer, or is it unimportant when?

Well, you don't have to do them. I never did any sort of internship and had only a semester of research without any presentations/posters/publications. Do research in whatever you want to do research in. The more relevant to your interests the better. Many students will have research in basic sciences, but some will have done some clinical or translational research along the way. I don't think one is favored over another, but I could be wrong. Research is often done in both the academic year and in the summer.

If anyone offers you an internship that you have to pay to do, turn it down. There's no reason you shouldn't be getting paid for an internship. To be honest, I'm not sure what sorts of internships a college freshman would be qualified to do. Perhaps this is more prevalent in your area, but I can't recall anyone from my undergrad who did an internship except the engineering students (which was part of their degree requirements).

5) Lastly, shadowing. How do you get across doing it? I'm under the idea you just find an M.D. and ask them until you find someone willing.

If you know a physician, you can ask them. If they're not willing to let you shadow you can ask them if they know anyone else who would be. If you don't know any physicians in the community, you can try the pre-med counselor at your school. Sometimes they have a list of physicians that are willing to let students shadow. Other than that, start cold calling offices and asking. Eventually you'll find someone who says yes.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some very quick, general advice for college:

1) Get involved. Join clubs that you're interested in (and your local pre-med club:)) and socialize. Everybody's in the same position as you, so try to be as social as possible and just meet people. Good networking leads to more friends in more places, which can be a great help - like getting leadership positions in ECs.

2) Plan classes well. Understand early what the common path for pre-meds at your school is, and plan out your classes in advance. I was able to have excellent schedules due to AP Credit and good planning.

3) Find a good balance between studying and slacking. Once you find what studying method works for you, just stick with it - whether it be your dorm room or late nights in the library. Remember that you're there to excel in school, so don't overburden yourself with ECs. Know your limits with alcohol, and don't be stupid :laugh:.

Last edited:
One little piece of advice I would throw out there is to ignore the people who say freshman year grades don't matter (that being said try to do well freshman year). As a freshman your grades count more than at any other point in your college career since you will have zero credit hours (even with AP credit most of it will not transfer in as graded credit but rather pass/fail doesn't count towards your GPA credit). If you do well freshman year it will give you some grade security so that if you happen to dip gradewise at another point during college you will have a buffer and can still have a solid GPA. Plus it is very difficult to come back from a really crappy GPA especially if you are already looking at medical school in the future.

That being said, don't freakout and do try to enjoy college. You will look back on all the free time (and time to take extremely random classes just for fun) with envy once you get to medical school.

One little piece of advice I would throw out there is to ignore the people who say freshman year grades don't matter (that being said try to do well freshman year). As a freshman your grades count more than at any other point in your college career since you will have zero credit hours (even with AP credit most of it will not transfer in as graded credit but rather pass/fail doesn't count towards your GPA credit). If you do well freshman year it will give you some grade security so that if you happen to dip gradewise at another point during college you will have a buffer and can still have a solid GPA. Plus it is very difficult to come back from a really crappy GPA especially if you are already looking at medical school in the future.

That being said, don't freakout and do try to enjoy college. You will look back on all the free time (and time to take extremely random classes just for fun) with envy once you get to medical school.

Yes, i had to learn that the hard way in high school. my GPA was a 2.0 out of 4 at the end of my freshman year. :oops: I do have one other question though that I wanted to know if I could get some advice on.

I currently have my eyes set on biology at the moment, and it is something I enjoy. But i'm thinking of entering without declaring a major. I feel like taking one or two classes like nutrition to see if something else interests me. Not to say med school still isn't the goal, I will still take prereqs and such, but I don't know if I may end up majoring in nutrition. That's another subject that really interests me.

What do you all think? Is it risky not to declare a major when entering (declaring sophomore year)?

Yes, i had to learn that the hard way in high school. my GPA was a 2.0 out of 4 at the end of my freshman year. :oops: I do have one other question though that I wanted to know if I could get some advice on.

I currently have my eyes set on biology at the moment, and it is something I enjoy. But i'm thinking of entering without declaring a major. I feel like taking one or two classes like nutrition to see if something else interests me. Not to say med school still isn't the goal, I will still take prereqs and such, but I don't know if I may end up majoring in nutrition. That's another subject that really interests me.

What do you all think? Is it risky not to declare a major when entering (declaring sophomore year)?

To answer your question, no it isn't risky. The whole "declaring" thing is overrated, as you can change your major 100 times. Just be smart about it and know what classes YOU need to take - the rest is just administrative.

However, studying "something you enjoy" is also overrated. I enjoyed biology as well, but it is probably one of the more worthless degrees out there for 'practical' purposes. If I were you I would major in something marketable in case you don't go to medical school for whatever reason. You'll be thanking yourself when you have a lot more opportunities instead of scrambling for scraps. Plus a year or two of "real world" experience will be better for you and for life rather than some dinky masters degree. The difference in medical school between those who took some real time off and those who went straight in is like night and day. Just make sure you don't have to go to some grad school to 'repair' your GPA, regardless of what you study - do it right the first time.