What's next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunny10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

If anybody could give me some practical advice, I'd be very grateful.

I hold a masters degree in Clinical Psychology. Right now I have a very good job, but I feel I can only do so much before I get whistled back to let the experts in. I run into barrieres because I do not have a phd or a license to practice. It's seems I 'just' have a masters degree. I'm ready to be that expert ;-).

So, I'm ready to move on. But there is an obstacle. My husband is militairy so I don't get to choose where we live and therefore where to apply. So, a phd or psyd seems out of the question for now.

I want to get licensed, but which program is closest to a masters degree in clinical psychology, which options do I have?

greetings Sunny

Members don't see this ad.

Have you considered a clinical MSW (masters in social work)? If you do a clinical 2-year program (whoa, typed 20 there at first, oops), and then take a licensing test, you will have the license to practice, much like a Ph.D. practicioner, with some limits (e.g. psychometric assessments, etc).

Yes, I have considered this.

I have contacted licensing boards, universities, etc. and they've advised me to go for licensing as a profesional counselor. I gues this program is closed to clinical psychology masters degree?

If I wanted to go for a MSW, do you think I will be exempt for certain courses? Is there a program like this online?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really sure regarding the classes, and as far as I know, there are no MSW online courses (a huge part of it is fieldwork). Why do you think they suggested being licensed as a counselor?

Because it resembles clinical psychology the most. I've contacted the board of counselor examiners in my state. They will not give me information unless I file an application (2oo dollars). So, before I spend the money I want to be sure that a counseling license is what I want. I would probably have to take classes and then I would get an (Associate) LPC. From there I need to obtain supervision hours to eventually become a LPC.
We live in a small town now where the only graduate program they offer in this field is school psychology. So, either I wait until we move or do an online one. So, I'm thinking to just pay the 200 dollars to at least find out where I stand now.

The licensing board in your state won't give you info on *licensing requirements* unless you pay a $200 application fee? That doesn't make any sense. You can check it out yourself online. You should be able to find out anything you need to know, from required coursework to supervision hours, all for free.

As for going back to school, why start all over just to end up with essentially the same credentials? Why not a PhD or PsyD? Since your location is unpredictable, you could even do it online. I've known a number of folks who've gone that route and fared as well as anyone else :)

They'll provide me with general information, but ask a 200 dollar review fee if the degree is any other then a master in counseling. I have a degree in Clinical Psychology from the Netherlands. So, that's why.... they'll have to check my transcripts first. And then let me know if I'm eligable or not. If not, I've lost 200 dollars, grrr.

I work at the psychology department of a university right now. Even though they do not have a clinical psychology track, I'll ask them what my best options are.

They'll provide me with general information, but ask a 200 dollar review fee if the degree is any other then a master in counseling. I have a degree in Clinical Psychology from the Netherlands. So, that's why.... they'll have to check my transcripts first. And then let me know if I'm eligable or not. If not, I've lost 200 dollars, grrr.

I work at the psychology department of a university right now. Even though they do not have a clinical psychology track, I'll ask them what my best options are.

They have 3rd party companies that do "equivalency" evaluations for foreign degrees, and then you present the findings to the state licensing board. They may be outsourcing that.....either way, you need the board's blessing before you can do anything, so it looks like you'll need to pay the $200.