What's next? Grad School? Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

forgivemexo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
finished
I'll spare you all the whole "family problems/personal problems/whatever problems" story and just tell you that I just finished my junior year, and I'm a senior in my undergrad. Yes, i messed up my grades. I obviously take full responsibility. But my question is...what do I do now?

Freshman GPA: 2.28
Sophomore GPA: 2.24
Junior GPA: 2.31
(and i'm sure my sGPA is a lot lower.)

EC's: Steady job for approx 3 years on campus, member of on-campus volunteer ambulance corps for approx 2 years, EMT-Basic and currently enrolled in EMT-Critical Care (not sure if this is only a New York thing, it's a step below a paramedic), volunteer organization member, shadowing of two doctors (~100 hours each), starting up research this summer

Now, I know that theres no possible humanly possible that I will be able to apply to MD schools anytime soon. I want to take a year or two to do a masters/graduate program after I graduate next year.
I'm taking approximately 5 classes this summer, hoping to ace all of them.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any specific masters or grad programs I should apply for? Should I just say forget it and stay home and study? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

grad programs won't do you very well as they are commonly inflated. you should really do a post bacc so you can affect your undergrad gpa.

you may want to find another career or look into the DO route. you say you aren't going to apply to MD anytime soon? that is kind of laughable. In order to be competitive you need to bring your gpa up to a 3.1ish and do a SMP, or you need to shoot for a 3.4 and with the upward trend you might have chance. Assuming you have taken 90 credits with a 2.3 average, you have to take another 90 credits in order be in SMP range and 165 credits to be in the 3.4 range. so you are looking at AT LEAST 3 years before you can apply to a SMP. So 4-5 years before you apply to med school, and this is assuming you never get anything below an A ever again. And based on your straight C+ average, I would say it isn't going to happen.

You need to completely redo everything you are doing. Everything. If that means you drop everything else, you HAVE to get As. You may want to look into the DO grade replacement policy. Otherwise, I would really recommend you find something else.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just looked at your post history and when you posted in november, you knew very well that you HAD to get good grades, and you didn't. Find another career. Probably not what you want to hear, but since you didn't come through when you knew you needed to, you probably aren't going to make it.

I would highly recommend you do something else. Since your cGPA is 2.28 with around 90 credit hours, you are going to have take another 90 credit hours and get nothing but A's. Even if you accomplish this feat, your GPA would be 3.14 which is uncompetitive for professional schools any way.

You could go DO route via grade replacement but you would essentially have to start over your entire college career with your GPA. If money isn't an issue and you have all the time in the world, by all means.

However, I would just recommend you do something else.