What's my biggest (fixable) weakness right now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KinesinMovesMe

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
New to the site so please let me know if I'm lacking the right etiquette or posting in the wrong place. I'm trying to decide how best to concentrate my energy and finances to decide next steps.

Stats/highlights: [GPA 3.49 (positive trend); MCAT 511]
  • Undergrad - grad. 2011 with two majors MolecularCellular Bio and Neuroscience; minor in Biochem; certificate in American West Studies
  • Clinical: Worked (paid) in busy 911 EMS system for 4yrs and currently as ED physician scribe for last 1.5yr. Work in more admin role in private MD clinic for >1yr. Greater than 5500+ clinical hours with 1000+ next to docs (I stopped tracking).
  • Leadership: Lead ED Scribe (current), Honors Program senior leader, CPR program director, EMS liaison (b/w my agency and school org.), TeachForAmerica recruitment coordinator, developmental bio TA, student science teacher
  • Volunteer: EMT in busy 911 city system (separate from paid gig) for mostly under-served population, service fraternity, honors program stuff, science tutor to underprivileged HS kids, CPR program stuff
  • Research: nothing notable unfortunately. Could maybe play up some of my lab classes including a 4000 level class on experimental design...
  • Misc: painting featured in Honors Journal; received Western writing award; intermittent horse training; worked in oil and gas for a short time; currently DIYing a (new to us) old house with my SO.
  • LOR: several options for strong letters from people I have worked closely with including: Trauma Director (MD), CMO/ED doc of my hospital, Honors Program Director/prof., science prof., etc.
  • Worth noting: I have a disease/disability that is the main reason behind my lower GPA, fewer activities, etc. I am not interested in medicine to cure my disease or anything like that, but I do believe it lends me some perspective when working with my patients.
I'm guessing beyond my less-than-stellar GPA/MCAT that I can't change before June, my weakest areas are:
1. no research
2. lack of recent course work
3. maybe? no recent volunteering (mostly due to working 50-80 hour weeks when I was in EMS full-time coupled with limitations of my disability).​

Current Status:
  • Taking 5 credit hours of upper division science courses (expecting 4.0) at the university. Won't change my overall GPA much, but my thought is this will show I still know how to be a student and get through some of those "recent coursework" barriers.
  • I'm reluctant to leave a job I love in the ED working with my doctors, other providers, and patients just to fill another section on a check list (particularly while in progress of building up the program as it would leave several physicians high-and-dry for a while).
  • I also could not conscionably leave my clinic role as the office would not be able to function without me at this time.
My main question is... If I could etch out a few hours/week (maybe 10?), what would be most worth my time to help me become more competitive for this upcoming cycle? I honestly am loathe to ask this because I feel dishonest doing something purely to to check a box, but I recognize this is part of the game. Ideally, I would like to find something I could continue to be involved with until I (hopefully) start med school in 2018.

Bonus question: Any suggestions on schools that I might fit well? Currently planning on at least applying to regional state schools, but I have not narrowed a list down yet.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

You look like a fantastic applicant to me. Good grades, good Mcat, and tons of clinical hours. You don't need research for all schools (check MSAR, you can see various school statistics for what they like to see in applicants).

In my humble opinion, get your app ready and apply this coming cycle. Get ready for a bunch of interview invites.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, I did not expect that kind of feedback. I feel like maybe I've misrepresented myself for you to have so much confidence in me? I do appreciate the positive feedback, but you don't think there's anything additional I should be doing right now?

Thank you for telling me about the MSAR! I wasn't aware of that resource.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think checking the MSAR (available through the AAMC site) for the schools your are considering will help you determine what you might be lacking. The ADCOM's may see something I don't (likely they will), but according to the experiences I see in other med students, you look competitive to me.

Reactions: 1 users
New to the site so please let me know if I'm lacking the right etiquette or posting in the wrong place. I'm trying to decide how best to concentrate my energy and finances to decide next steps.

Stats/highlights: [GPA 3.49 (positive trend); MCAT 511]
  • Undergrad - grad. 2011 with two majors MolecularCellular Bio and Neuroscience; minor in Biochem; certificate in American West Studies
  • Clinical: Worked (paid) in busy 911 EMS system for 4yrs and currently as ED physician scribe for last 1.5yr. Work in more admin role in private MD clinic for >1yr. Greater than 5500+ clinical hours with 1000+ next to docs (I stopped tracking).
  • Leadership: Lead ED Scribe (current), Honors Program senior leader, CPR program director, EMS liaison (b/w my agency and school org.), TeachForAmerica recruitment coordinator, developmental bio TA, student science teacher
  • Volunteer: EMT in busy 911 city system (separate from paid gig) for mostly under-served population, service fraternity, honors program stuff, science tutor to underprivileged HS kids, CPR program stuff
  • Research: nothing notable unfortunately. Could maybe play up some of my lab classes including a 4000 level class on experimental design...
  • Misc: painting featured in Honors Journal; received Western writing award; intermittent horse training; worked in oil and gas for a short time; currently DIYing a (new to us) old house with my SO.
  • LOR: several options for strong letters from people I have worked closely with including: Trauma Director (MD), CMO/ED doc of my hospital, Honors Program Director/prof., science prof., etc.
  • Worth noting: I have a disease/disability that is the main reason behind my lower GPA, fewer activities, etc. I am not interested in medicine to cure my disease or anything like that, but I do believe it lends me some perspective when working with my patients.
I'm guessing beyond my less-than-stellar GPA/MCAT that I can't change before June, my weakest areas are:
1. no research
2. lack of recent course work
3. maybe? no recent volunteering (mostly due to working 50-80 hour weeks when I was in EMS full-time coupled with limitations of my disability).​

Current Status:
  • Taking 5 credit hours of upper division science courses (expecting 4.0) at the university. Won't change my overall GPA much, but my thought is this will show I still know how to be a student and get through some of those "recent coursework" barriers.
  • I'm reluctant to leave a job I love in the ED working with my doctors, other providers, and patients just to fill another section on a check list (particularly while in progress of building up the program as it would leave several physicians high-and-dry for a while).
  • I also could not conscionably leave my clinic role as the office would not be able to function without me at this time.
My main question is... If I could etch out a few hours/week (maybe 10?), what would be most worth my time to help me become more competitive for this upcoming cycle? I honestly am loathe to ask this because I feel dishonest doing something purely to to check a box, but I recognize this is part of the game. Ideally, I would like to find something I could continue to be involved with until I (hopefully) start med school in 2018.

Bonus question: Any suggestions on schools that I might fit well? Currently planning on at least applying to regional state schools, but I have not narrowed a list down yet.

Thanks for reading! I appreciate any feedback.

You look good. If you are not currently doing any non-clinical volunteering, that is the one thing I would add.

Also, I don't know anything about your disability/disease, but I am having a hard time imagining a condition that lets you work 50-80 hours per week in a taxing job like EMS, but prevented you from doing other activities. So just ensure that this really makes sense if you decide to say something similar in your PS.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the input and perspectives. I'll definitely use the MSAR tool and look into some options for clinical volunteering around me.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me regarding how to communicate about my disease. To give a little background, I have an autoimmune disease, so my symptoms can fluctuate a lot even in a short time frame. Working in EMS on 48s +OT pushed me to my limits physically and I paid for it often, but I loved the job, my co-workers, the patients (mostly), and the constant opportunities for learning. I have days where it's hard to get out of bed for myself, but you can bet I never slept through a tone. I can push my pain and fatigue and host of other symptoms to the background when I need to focus on patient care, but it's not sustainable indefinitely (and there are the rare days where it may not be possible at all). My struggle has been and will continue to be reserving enough for myself and prioritizing self-care and not saying yes when my body is telling me to back off.

I haven't decided how much to discuss it in my PS. It affects me daily but the last thing I want is to be defined by it.

*correction: I meant to say non-clinical volunteering.

Thanks again.

- The general consensus on this is no. Now, while I personally feel it does lend some perspective, the postings I see from the top informers around here say that disability (or parenting or caring for a sick parent, etc) doesn't make you any better of a doctor (or candidate). My take away has been that it is in one's best interest to not mention a disability unless you absolutely need accommodations it. Personally I'm a disabled veteran and will not be mentioning anything about it unless pressed under duress, lol. Again, why the powers that be have decided these things aren't relevant (or maybe they are and SDN is incorrect) I can't say; I just know around here after reading countless threads about how someone wanted to write about a disability in their personal statement and was encouraged not to, that there seems to be little value (and sometimes a concern that you might not be able to meet school physical standards) when mentioning it.

OP...
1) you are def good to apply (broadly and mid tier)
2) don't mention whatever disability you have unless it has contributed greatly to who you are... and if you do mention it, keep it concise, hit the major points, and move on with your story

- The general consensus on this is no. Now, while I personally feel it does lend some perspective, the postings I see from the top informers around here say that disability (or parenting or caring for a sick parent, etc) doesn't make you any better of a doctor (or candidate). My take away has been that it is in one's best interest to not mention a disability unless you absolutely need accommodations it. Personally I'm a disabled veteran and will not be mentioning anything about it unless pressed under duress, lol. Again, why the powers that be have decided these things aren't relevant (or maybe they are and SDN is incorrect) I can't say; I just know around here after reading countless threads about how someone wanted to write about a disability in their personal statement and was encouraged not to, that there seems to be little value (and sometimes a concern that you might not be able to meet school physical standards) when mentioning it.

Those are all real concerns I have been thinking about. I honestly do believe I am a better advocate for certain patients because of my experience as a patient. But it sounds like it's not worth the risk of going down that rabbit hole... It just seems like so many of the prompts are along the lines of challenges you've overcome and this is a very real part of my life that I have to deal with every day. It feels honest to me to discuss it to some degree (avoiding sob story territory). On the other hand, this would be the last way I would choose to introduce myself to somebody in any other setting. Hmm, it is difficult to know what is in my best interest here, but I'm grateful to have a space to talk though it a bit with you all.

OP...
1) you are def good to apply (broadly and mid tier)
2) don't mention whatever disability you have unless it has contributed greatly to who you are... and if you do mention it, keep it concise, hit the major points, and move on with your story

It's crazy the different response I received here than another thread where I was only told to apply to a few private schools. Either way, thank you for the encouragement and advise.

It's crazy the different response I received here than another thread where I was only told to apply to a few private schools. Either way, thank you for the encouragement and advise.

I agree with the poster here. Broad, mid-tier. Throw a few higher tier if you have the cash to spend on it (never hurts as long as you have your priorities where there is a great chance of acceptance). There are schools that appreciate and look for the non-traditionals as well, if that's an interest, and if that's the class dynamic you are looking for.

Regarding mentioning your illness / disability in your app: I think overcoming a disability to do what you love reveals quite a bit about you. It also lends a personal perspective and empathy, initially strongest when dealing with similar patients as yourself, which can then be broadened to other patient populations. In this way it gives some insight into what life experiences you will draw upon when you are a doctor. All this doesn't have to be explicitly stated in the application, but a brief mention of your disability isn't inappropriate. I think it is important, if you bring it up, to have strong evidence that you can meet the technical standards. Therefore, I'm not so sure about using it to explain any deficiencies in your application. Please be aware, you absolutely do NOT need to disclose a disability in your application in order to get accommodations after matriculation, as one of the above posters said.

Reactions: 1 user

That's insane. Why would you only apply to a few schools, especially with a 3.49? There are people with better stats who don't get in anywhere.

That said, I agree with the others that you should be getting ready to apply this cycle. You look good. Apply broadly for your own sake. Also agree with adding some non-clinical volunteering. Meals on wheels and things like that are great and don't require a huge commitment.

Dude you have a 511 MCAT... that is a solid a$$ score. Anyone who says that isn't a fantastic score is pulling your chain or a fool. I wouldn't bring up the disability thing cause you have a 3.5... if you had a 2.9... different story. But a 3.5 is also a solid GPA (only slightly lower than average across all
Medical schools). Apply early, apply broadly, turn around your secondaries quickly, prepare for interviews and I think you're gonna be set