What's more important

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danaling12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the importance of 3rd year end of rotation exams vs. your evaluation from your preceptor? I'm set on going into pediatrics, and have done well so far my first two years and boards. Third year I have been doing well on shelf exams and Honors or High Pass from my preceptor evaluations. However, during my pediatric rotation, my car died, and had to buy a new one. Between working on loans, finding a car, and having to drive 9 hours home to register the thing, I lost a lot of quality studying time, and didn't do so hot on my exam (C+ :(). I did receive an honors and letter of rec from my pediatrics preceptor, though. So I'm a little worried that this grade may hurt me when applying to residency, and just wanted some thoughts or opinions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Moderators please feel free to move elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar boat. I kind of tanked the pediatric shelf exam. As a result my overall peds grade went down despite exceptional letters from attending preceptors. It seemed to not be an issue, though, because the letters and the rest of my med school performance showed through and this was just a blip.

I think you'll be fine. If it ever does come up, just explain it honestly. Most people understand that life happens, and with good letters of rec, they'll know you're a hard worker who's dedicated to peds.