What's it like as a student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Softsoap0

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new here. I'm 15, and just recently I've been thinking of becoming a doctor. I've also been thinking of a lot of fields I could get into as a doctor. The main field I'm thinking of getting into is Neurology. I've looked up a lot of what they do, but I want to get a feeling of what it's like in Med School. With questions like:

Is becoming a Neurologist harder then becoming any other kind of doctor?

I know it's a bit early for me to be thinking like this. But I'm just really interested.

How did any of you guys make the decision of becoming a Neurologist?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm new here. I'm 15, and just recently I've been thinking of becoming a doctor. I've also been thinking of a lot of fields I could get into as a doctor. The main field I'm thinking of getting into is Neurology. I've looked up a lot of what they do, but I want to get a feeling of what it's like in Med School. With questions like:

Is becoming a Neurologist harder then becoming any other kind of doctor?

I know it's a bit late for me to be thinking like this. But I'm just really interested.

How did any of you guys make the decision of becoming a Neurologist?

Thanks a lot.

A bit late? Actually, it's way too early!

1. You don't become a neurologist (or any other specialty) in medical school. You do that in residency. Medical school just teaches you the very, very basics common to all of medicine and a few specialties.

2. I'm not going to address the "is it harder" question because
a) that depends on your particular aptitudes and interests, and
b) everyone has different opinions on what's a "hard" vs "easy" field, so it would just start a flame war.

Go and find a local neurologist (preferably one who is not too far out of residency) and ask them about their life. They'd probably be happy to talk to an interested potential student.

I became a neurologist because it's interesting (to me, anyway, and that's really all that matters . . . )

Well, I find it really interesting. That's the only reason why I'm looking up about it at this stage in my life. The human body interests me beyond words. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's ever too early to think about what you want to be and do in the future. I decided I wanted to be a Neurosurgeon when I was about 11 years old. I never knew of one personally but just found a strong interest in the nervous system and its' many different ailments. I had many people try to talk me out of my decision but I say if you know without a doubt that is definitely what you want to do go for it! It may also help to do research on neurology to see exactly the path you will take to get into a good medical school and become a neurologist. Good luck! Stay encouraged.

Well, I find it really interesting. That's the only reason why I'm looking up about it at this stage in my life. The human body interests me beyond words. Thanks a lot for the reply.

Hi! I think that medicine is a great career choice if you like taking care of sick people and the science of the human body and disease processes. Research careers also look at interesting aspects of the human body, and doctors sometimes also do research in addition to taking care of patients. I would recommend that you do well in science courses in high school, maybe even take AP biology or AP chemistry if you are prepared well at this point. People who do pre-med, (in college before medical school) can have any type of major, such as philosophy or biology, but are required to take a certain number of science courses. If you are really interested in medicine now, I would recommend seeing if you could secure a volunteer position at a local hospital for maybe 4 hours a week, although they won't pay you, it will be a good opportunity to get your feet wet and see if you like medicine. During your college years you could further explore your interest of the human body with summer and school time research if you so desire. I loved my college volunteer positions in hospitals, and wish I knew about this option as a high school student. I was very interested in medicine at your age, but didn't know how to go about pursuing a medical career until later. Good Luck and PM me if you have any questions, I would love to have a premed mentee!

I would love to have a premed mentee!

:laugh: I think everyone should have a mentee! Especially the neurotic, the depraved and the psychotic....even my ancestor had someone he mentored.....his name was Adolf Eichmann.