what's better cards or rads? which one makes more??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

punjabiMD

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
-begin off-topic exhausted-and-doing-nightfloat-on-my-bday rant-

good freaking lord. Why does it feel like the cards forum is just chock full o' "Rads vs. Cards" d*ck-measuring contests or "how much does cards make?"

I love(d) cards... but I'm becoming very turned off by the sheer number of mindless misanthropes (who are preoccupied with the aformentioned discussion topics) that feel the need to overcompensate for something missing in their lives! What happened to those people who are excellent at medicine (in general), love the challenging aspects of treating people as a whole but also happen to be good cardiologists?

I'm tired of reading all these annoying predictions, e.g. "interventional cardiology, in five years, will be a larger and higher-compensated field than interventional pediatric gyno-neuroradiology"...

these guys are the reason why internal medicine is called, by some, a dying discipline. I'm tired of seeing all these MS-3s, MS-4s, and PGY-1s who think they know more cardiology than the next person... some of these people also actually flaunt how much they hate their patients.

flame away, I don't get involved or even start online disputes (check my post history)... for anyone who accuses me of using the anonymity of the internet to vent frustration, take my word for it, I'm never afraid of speaking my mind in person.

If you happen to fit the above profile, stop what you're doing, look inside yourself, and realize that you are narcissistic and don't care about anyone else but yourself.

I have respect for those who are great, caring human beings before they are excellent internists before they are well-trained, discerning cardiologists.

-end rant-

wow, sorry... I never post like this. I feel better, though! :D

I think this was triggered by seeing yet another "cards salaries" thread.

Members don't see this ad.

what are your new career goals?

I find it almost as annoying to talk with first and second year medical students who seem dead-set on doing, oh, lets just say, interventional cardiology, yet clearly don't want to do internal medicine and really don't even want to see patients. I've occasionally ran across a few who were so sure of themselves, yet didn't even realize that you had to go through IM first.

This year on the interview trail I'd estimate that at least 70% of those interviewing at the more academic places said they wanted to do cardiology. So I see no end in sight for what your describing, PunjabiMD. If only I wanted to do something that wasn't as glamorous*, financially rewarding**, or desirable*** by the masses!

* by "glamorous" I mean in the eyes of someone who hasn't actually seen a cardiologist cath somebody at 3 am after having worked a full day already.

** by "financially rewarding" I mean in the eyes of someone who hasn't actually seen what academic cardiologists make or realized how many years of training and long hours are required in private practice cardiology.

** by "desirable" I mean attractive to someone who hasn't realized that cardiologists are frequently dealing with very sick patients that require a lot of time, energy, and thinking, not just a quick echo or cath and a fat bill.

Members don't see this ad :)
If only I wanted to do something that wasn't as glamorous*, financially rewarding**, or desirable*** by the masses!

* by "glamorous" I mean in the eyes of someone who hasn't actually seen a cardiologist cath somebody at 3 am after having worked a full day already.

** by "financially rewarding" I mean in the eyes of someone who hasn't actually seen what academic cardiologists make or realized how many years of training and long hours are required in private practice cardiology.

** by "desirable" I mean attractive to someone who hasn't realized that cardiologists are frequently dealing with very sick patients that require a lot of time, energy, and thinking, not just a quick echo or cath and a fat bill.

Wow, well said. In fact these are some of the reasons why I toss cardiology around. I couldn't have said it any better.

Sorry, off topic, but reading your nick made me think of Punjabi MC. I don't know why I felt the need to post that--figured we need to cool the atmosphere a bit.

I'm sorry but these "I am above the hype" threads are just as bad as the other threads. Get off your high horse. This forum is for information. Information that you don't have to agree with, and can be EASILY ignored if you so choose. Instead of ranting, why not enlighten others why they shouldn't chase money, or why they should go into field they love. No, instead most are quick to offer their worthless criticisms and unwarranted cynicism. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not, but you so called "rant" is as ignorant as the other posts.

I'm sorry but these "I am above the hype" threads are just as bad as the other threads. Get off your high horse. This forum is for information. Information that you don't have to agree with, and can be EASILY ignored if you so choose. Instead of ranting, why not enlighten others why they shouldn't chase money, or why they should go into field they love. No, instead most are quick to offer their worthless criticisms and unwarranted cynicism. It doesn't matter whether you agree or not, but you so called "rant" is as ignorant as the other posts.

Please direct your attention to the following:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=4967653#post4967653

since you are apparently "above" arguing on the internet (not true by looking at your other posts), I'm sure you're mature enough to discontinue your unproductive commentary in this thread and direct any criticism towards me by using the private messaging options available to you.

As for your comment regarding "enlightening others," you have the option to look at my posting history and will find some interesting information. Do your research before you pick a fight.

what are your new career goals?

cards is still on the table. However, I don't feel comfortable applying in my PGY-2 year since it's too early on. I may apply for a chief position.

Other options I have been entertaining include applying for the Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars fellowships (however I'm wary of the 2-3 year time commitment) or even an MPH specialized in International/Global Health (you can probably tell my interests are rather varied which makes career planning difficult at times).

what you say there is key. Of course, there is some degree of naivete to being a med student and career planning at that stage, but being gung-ho about something without even understanding or experiencing the field isn't such a good idea (in my book).

punjabiMD:
Most of the posters on the cards forum don't have a clue. i mean, come on - take a look at the posts. i take a stroll over here from time to time since i'm interest in cards (for what i hope are the right reasons - been working on research with congestive heart failure patients for the past year as i apply to med school and have no interest in interventional cards). needless to say, a couple of short career conversations with the cardiologists that i interact with have been MUCH more informative than the BS that gets discussed here. it seems only a few of the posters have a clue. so relax. it's an anonymous forum and pre-meds are interested in salary info, which is difficult to come by.

point well taken.

"If you happen to fit the above profile, stop what you're doing, look inside yourself, and realize that you are narcissistic and don't care about anyone else but yourself."

What's wrong with that?