What's an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctigger

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone :)
Pardon the inquiry, but what is an IMG? I'm interested in learning more about the Canadian med schools... how the MD schools' application process goes... I think that UBC requires MD applicants be BC residents planning to stay in BC... I'm a citizen, but don't live in Canada, but am thinking about possibly going to one of the schools up there when the time comes.
Sorry for rambling. :p
Peace!

Members don't see this ad.

IMG is international medical graduate. The politically correct way to say foreign medical graduate. It's basically anyone who graduates from a med school not in the US or Canada (including the Caribbean schools, the UK, Australia, etc).
The Canadian med school process is pretty much the same as the U.S. process which can be read about in the pre-allo forum and the allo forum on this website. Or you can buy the book: medical school admissions requirements which outlines the steps to apply to the schools in the US and Canada.

doctigger said:
Hello everyone :)
Pardon the inquiry, but what is an IMG? I'm interested in learning more about the Canadian med schools... how the MD schools' application process goes... I think that UBC requires MD applicants be BC residents planning to stay in BC... I'm a citizen, but don't live in Canada, but am thinking about possibly going to one of the schools up there when the time comes.
Sorry for rambling. :p
Peace!

Some ppl restrict usage of the term 'IMG' to N Americans who went to med school outside of N America, while reserving 'FMG' for foreigners who went to school outside of N America.

UBC is a real stickler. Way back when I was in Vancouver inquiring (as an American), i was told 'give up any hope', as at that time at least, the school accepted only Canadians, and only 1-2 out-of-STATERS. But doublecheck with the school!

*sigh* UBC would probably be in my top two choices if I qualified to apply there. :oops: