What's a good professional service to double-check my AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pithy84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to pay some experts to review my AMCAS, especially the Coursework and Activities sections. I don't want expert literary criticism, I want them to check for typos, terrible grammar, and courses that the AAMC will obviously want to reclassify.

I have a ton of bioengineering courses which may be considered engineering but I called them BIOL, and I have some animal-related classes that I called BIOL because they are really zoology/physiology/neuroscience (all BIOL), but they might look like NPSC (natural and physical sciences, specifically animal science) if you just look at the course name.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow this is a great question and I wouldn't mind hiring someone to look over my application too, especially the work/activities and maybe personal statement part. Any credible places?

Members don't see this ad :)
Given the number of homogenized applications I have read, I'm beginning to believe that we should include a question like this: "If you have used a paid consultant to review any portion of your application, please indicate here and identify them for our records."

Reactions: 5 users
you are the only expert of your own application

Reactions: 1 user
mededits.com if you're willing to spend a good chunk of money. I found an editor on Craigslist and I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Her website is ascendingtalent dot com. pm me if you want to ask me any questions. She's really nice, friendly and professional, not to mention really affordable. Her main focus isn't helping pre-meds but trust me--she knows the amcas process and it was one of the best decisions going with her. I don't know her personally, never spoke with her on the phone/skype, but I'm just giving my honest opinion and suggestion.

Good luck.

Let me in on this lucrative beezness! OP I'll give you a 50% discount and give you a review for $19.99!

Let me in on this lucrative beezness! OP I'll give you a 50% discount and give you a review for $19.99!
I would be suspicious about the quality of such a cheap review.

I'll do it if you wire me $5000 via Western Union by tomorrow night.

Reactions: 7 users
Some companies like accepted offer application review

Looking at their website, they are charging 2000-3000 dollars for a full application review. 300 dollars per hour for a resume review alone.

I have been relying on a physician friend of mine who has been involved with admissions and knows the process well. It has been an amazing help to have him point out flaws in my approach to the PS and activities descriptions. A lot of the suggestions he has made are things that some random English major would not pick up on - subtle phrasing things, emphasizing one aspect of a given activity over another, etc. I think it has made my application a lot stronger.

I really didn't know this was a thing. I re-read mine twice and submitted it; it only cost me the 7 lbs I gained eating ice cream while proof reading it. I lost it all fanatically pacing until I got interviewed and accepted...good times.
I would suggest you ask them to check for grammatical errors, I wouldn't have wanted someone changing something that was important to me, or adding something I couldn't possibly defend
interviewer: so tell me about the time you pulled out twin children while operating on the leg of a figure skater
me (you): o_O

Members don't see this ad :)
OP,

You don't have to pay anyone to do it. Get your family and friends to read your app. Different people, different sections, all eyes on errors.

I am submitting today and have read, reread, edited, and reedited my application from start to finish over 20 times. I don't want to screw this up, but I didn't need to hire anyone to do it.

Worst case scenario, pay 30 bucks to a college English major to read for errors.... but you really don't need to.

I've done the full blown support for a number of clients. They've all gotten in, so haven't heard any complaints. Would never expect them to give testimonials though, since that would totally out them.

If you aren't fully capable of reviewing and editing your app by yourself or with friends for free, then I question your ability to excel in med school.

So Hemingway had an editor, bet he wasn't a qualified writer. That's some idiotic hyperbole, but guess I'm biased. Furthermore, plenty of people who learn English as a second language would like a qualified professional to review their application - does not mean anything.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a competition and some people are willing to go to great lengths to give themselves a competitive advantage ..

For those that are strong writers and are confident in themselves ... great. For others--I suggest you at least look into some before-after samples of resume/CV editors. Like as previously mentioned, they do way more than just edit for grammar. They help you put your best foot forward in such a crucial part of the application.

Just for fun, just google: medical residency plagiarism

Plagiarism in Graduate Medical Education
https://www.stfm.org/fmhub/fm2007/June/Ariel436.pdf

Level of Plagiarism in Residency Application Essays "Worrisome"
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/725706

Last edited by a moderator:
One's own edits, and edits from their peers, have been more than enough to suffice for majority of applicants, barring situations like ESL students. But yes, what a total idiotic hyperbole.

Of course, technically, the majority of applicants don't get in anywhere...

I have been relying on a physician friend of mine who has been involved with admissions and knows the process well. It has been an amazing help to have him point out flaws in my approach to the PS and activities descriptions. A lot of the suggestions he has made are things that some random English major would not pick up on - subtle phrasing things, emphasizing one aspect of a given activity over another, etc. I think it has made my application a lot stronger.

Helps when you've both a physician and a good writer :)

I can say the "majority of successful applicants" and my message is still true. What's your point?

My point is that what you say and how you come across is important - this is true pretty much everywhere in life, including medicine and (I assume) med school admissions. Why not do everything in your power to present the best image you can?

This likely won't be the determining factor in whether I get an acceptance or not, but I think having help on this from someone who truly knows the process almost certainly increased my competitiveness by some amount. If I'm a borderline candidate at a school (and I'm sure I will be...), maybe this small improvement is what pushes me from the "no" pile into the "maybe" pile. That seems worth a few hundred bucks to me.

Last edited: