WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT LUCOM (LIBERTY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1130283

This is a letter addressed to aacom. Please read this and carefully consider going to this school. You have no idea what is happening here.

Dear AACOMAS,

This is a letter addressing the institution Liberty University College of Osteopathic medicine (LUCOM). I am going to write this in an efficient way for you to read. Please bear with me as there is a lot to unfold. I request that you look deeply into this letter. It is truly a last resort to reach out to you as the college will not listen to anyone. I apologize if the letter is sloppy. The things that happen at this school are nearly impossible to prove. Please give the letter the time it deserves. The time we students and faculty deserve and have deserved for a long time.

Table of Contents

• Student affairs and Policy
  • Administration affairs
  • Discrimination
  • Faculty
Student affairs and Policy

There are a lot of policies in which the students and faculty are placed in a position to be dehumanized. If you investigate the school, a decent amount of faculty is resigning, leaving the school scrambling to find someone credible to teach the courses. There are people not qualified to teach certain subjects and they are anyway because there is no one left. Faculty are leaving because of the working conditions within the school. There are no policies in place to realistically support and protect faculty and students from a tyrannical administration. Policy for attendance is hardly written, but we’ve had students completely dismissed from LUCOM due to them. LUCOM changes their procedures almost monthly because there is no policy in place. Real world human considerations are never taken into account. Being pulled over by a police officer or having your car break down among many other reasonable events are not accepted as excusable to missing a class or being late. Subsequently they take two percent off your course grade which has resulted in people needing to remediate courses, the whole year, or worst case scenario be dismissed. There is a doctor shortage…They have changed from giving ten minutes to arrive to five to one to about 45 seconds although they will tell you it is one minute. They set expectations for us and then change them on the fly and expect perfect compliance with no room to adjust. There are a lot of things this school does to put down the students and faculty that is nearly impossible to prove. A student with a broken leg didn’t walk fast enough to their seat and had 2% taken off their grade for it. At another time, the school released a schedule of exams and changed the date of the final exam without telling students. This caused flight conflicts to go back home to family. Instead of LUCOM admitting to the mistake they gaslighted the students by saying there was never a change. In a fireside chat, Dr. Raleigh inappropriately compared missing one class to missing a surgery. Something that may involve life or death. LUCOM is also a health hazard. In person attendance at the school is required without enforcing the wearing of face masks as well as no option to social distance. We have had many cases of covid and covid exposures at our school. One student had a child that got covid and Liberty told this student to expose a babysitter to covid and expose the school by forcing her to come. She didn’t come and was forced to leave with the option to repeat. Many other schools are exercising discretionary days and the ability to manage life, so this very thing doesn’t happen. This school has more than not done nothing but hurt the mental state of their students. Dehumanizing them and creating a compete lack of empathy. After attending LUCOM I can finally understand why the suicidal rate among medical students is so high. It’s not the coursework it’s the dehumanization by institutions such as LUCOM. Many students started health care medication without ever needing it before. This next thing is extremely important. LUCOM is NOT following AACOMAS policies. LUCOM has not made their policy clear, and wrongfully accused many students of cheating. When a student spoke out about it, he was almost dismissed. The ONLY reason he was not dismissed was to avoid your attention. LUCOM essentially used their policy in an already stressful environment to trick their students. All the people accused of this cheating did not get equal treatment. Some got more harsh punishment than others for no other reason than discrimination and popularity. You risk dismissal if you have a grievance with the school proven by the person who stood up to the school. The moral of the class has plummeted, and students are wanting to quit due to the mental anguish of the school. Many students have said they would have never attended if they knew they were going to be treated this way regardless of the dream of healing people as a physician. Becoming a physician is not worth becoming a robot, dehumanized to the nth degree. There are so many more examples that could be given, but there are too many to write.

Administration Affairs

There is one thing I want to talk about with administration, which has caused there to be all the other issues stated in this letter. There are no checks and balances within the school. Faculty to hold positions that look like checks and balanced are in place, are dismissed to “mind their business” and forced to shut their mouth. There is no way to support students and faculty to prevent the tyranny the administration has been placing on the faculty and students. The last dean who attempted to stand up for students and faculty was swiftly fired and replaced in less than half an hour with no explanation to faculty. You can be fired for not treating faculty and students subhuman. Their practice has caused more faculty than can be counted by one person to resign putting the College in a bad place. They are only given one year contracts and are also treated subhuman. Faculty can resign without giving up their dream. Students really can’t.

Discrimination

There is very obvious discrimination that occurs at the school. Faculty will not be hired UNLESS THEY ARE CREATIONIST CHRISTIAN. No exceptions. Many speakers have tried to be brought in to speak at the College about healthcare but were denied for being homosexual or a different religion (muslim) due to the fear of CONVERSION OF STUDENTS. This is extremely outrageous and unacceptable of an institution that is meant to create empathetic physicians all people.

Furthermore, students who speak up against the injustices done to them will be labeled as unprofessional on their record given to all residencies that they apply to without their knowledge. Faculty have revealed this to a few select students in confidence trying to save them from never being matched.

Faculty

There are some faculty that reside here that actively teach misogynistic and incorrect medicine. For example. Dr Swanson, head of the anatomy department stated, “period sex is medically unsafe “on more than one occasion inappropriately described climax, made molestation jokes over cadaver bodies, and has actively taught WRONG information which can be proven in the lecture PowerPoints. In fact, there is more than one faculty member that has taught objectively wrong information to people who will one day oversee people’s lives. All of the faculty that provide what little positive impact this school can have on a student have resigned and are in the process of leaving or already have left.

We a professor leaving because LUCOM disrespected them so much to hire someone unqualified to do their job and tell them it can be learned in less than a year when they have PhD in their field and took all first year medical courses.

EVERYONE QUALIFIED TO RUN THIS MEDICAL SCHOOL IS LEAVING. ALL THE STUDENTS ARE BEING TREATED LIKE GARBAGE AND NONE OF US HAVE THE POWER TO DO A SINGLE THING ABOUT IT PLEASE HELP US.

All I can say to end this letter is that LUCOM is a school that needs to be changed or not be a medical school at all. I would recommend every single premedical student to avoid going to LUCOM at all costs. Even if LUCOM is the only school to accept a student, it is not worth going. I understand that a lot of people may feel differently, however, these are objective events that have occurred and are blatantly wrong. Please help the faculty and students of LUCOM in whatever way you can. This is a last cry for help. I am planning on applying to a different program in a few years. One that won’t abuse me.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know, but just trying to warn anyone on here who would listen. This isn't a school it's a nightmare

Are you aware that AACOMAS is just an application service, and doesn't haven anything to do with accreditation of DO schools?
Yup. Send it to COCA but also realize they won’t do anything.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
All of Goro's badboylist are nightmares including my own school.
It's just INSANE how ****ty the schools are on his list are. Seriously! LAST RESORT SCHOOLS. Bottom of the barrel trash.

But I had no choice. ALL of my interview invites were the bad boy schools and I'm getting oldish (28)
I'm sorry about LUCOM. I had that interview too

The nature of the game is that no one in power cares. They don't give a damn.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
This sounds very challenging and while I can’t exactly empathize re: schools, I’ve worked long term in environments that were dehumanizing and demoralizing. It’s really hard to describe how crushing it can feel to people who haven’t experienced it.

That being said, I would think carefully about (leaving LUCOM, I’m assuming and) reapplying to other programs. It’s almost unheard of for someone to leave one school and be able to matriculate at another. Depending on how far along you are and if you’ve managed to stay out of admin’s cross hairs, it could be worth it to just grit your teeth, get your degree and get out of there. As a physician, you will have more credibility and can gain more traction fighting against issues you’ve described here or helping students negatively affected.

All of Goro's badboylist are nightmares including my own school.
It's just INSANE how ****ty the schools are on his list are. Seriously! LAST RESORT SCHOOLS. Bottom of the barrel trash.
Which schools are on this list?
Also seeing what is happening to CNU-COM with their accreditation status, where can I look up accreditation status of schools?

There are a lot of egregious claims in this letter but very little concrete examples to back them up…

Just saying. COCA will throw this straight in the trash because it reads very much like an angry student throwing out a bunch of accusations. If you are serious about it then you need to have very concrete examples for every point you make, you need to cite specific policies and specific examples of breaking said policies, and you need to have this written by a lawyer.

Reactions: 7 users
Which schools are on this list?
Also seeing what is happening to CNU-COM with their accreditation status, where can I look up accreditation status of schools?
LMU, ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons.

Poke around and you can find decisions for 2019 and later. LMU, BCOM and ARCOM are on Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.

Reactions: 2 users
Im just going to be blunt and ask, when you originally applied to this school surely there must have been ample warnings it wasnt like a traditional DO school, so to speak? From everything you would read about it online, it seems like a rather extreme form of religion, just from someone outside looking in.

The second thing is, technically you did choose to go there.

Third thing is, while some of this stuff probably happens, most DO schools have many flaws, in one way or another, but sometimes they're subjective flaws that depend on how the student views it. My school was a more well known DO school and still had a ton of issues. The pathology professor was so bad, he would make 300 slide powerpoints and it was just pictures of random images with no words and then barely explain anything in class

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM is on the list too for some reason
I heard that MSUCOM is a weird case that they're on it because they don't have ENOUGH OMM BS.
Kinda funny. Not sure if true.

This is a letter addressed to aacom. Please read this and carefully consider going to this school. You have no idea what is happening here.

Dear AACOMAS,

This is a letter addressing the institution Liberty University College of Osteopathic medicine (LUCOM). I am going to write this in an efficient way for you to read. Please bear with me as there is a lot to unfold. I request that you look deeply into this letter. It is truly a last resort to reach out to you as the college will not listen to anyone. I apologize if the letter is sloppy. The things that happen at this school are nearly impossible to prove. Please give the letter the time it deserves. The time we students and faculty deserve and have deserved for a long time.

Table of Contents

• Student affairs and Policy
  • Administration affairs
  • Discrimination
  • Faculty
Student affairs and Policy

There are a lot of policies in which the students and faculty are placed in a position to be dehumanized. If you investigate the school, a decent amount of faculty is resigning, leaving the school scrambling to find someone credible to teach the courses. There are people not qualified to teach certain subjects and they are anyway because there is no one left. Faculty are leaving because of the working conditions within the school. There are no policies in place to realistically support and protect faculty and students from a tyrannical administration. Policy for attendance is hardly written, but we’ve had students completely dismissed from LUCOM due to them. LUCOM changes their procedures almost monthly because there is no policy in place. Real world human considerations are never taken into account. Being pulled over by a police officer or having your car break down among many other reasonable events are not accepted as excusable to missing a class or being late. Subsequently they take two percent off your course grade which has resulted in people needing to remediate courses, the whole year, or worst case scenario be dismissed. There is a doctor shortage…They have changed from giving ten minutes to arrive to five to one to about 45 seconds although they will tell you it is one minute. They set expectations for us and then change them on the fly and expect perfect compliance with no room to adjust. There are a lot of things this school does to put down the students and faculty that is nearly impossible to prove. A student with a broken leg didn’t walk fast enough to their seat and had 2% taken off their grade for it. At another time, the school released a schedule of exams and changed the date of the final exam without telling students. This caused flight conflicts to go back home to family. Instead of LUCOM admitting to the mistake they gaslighted the students by saying there was never a change. In a fireside chat, Dr. Raleigh inappropriately compared missing one class to missing a surgery. Something that may involve life or death. LUCOM is also a health hazard. In person attendance at the school is required without enforcing the wearing of face masks as well as no option to social distance. We have had many cases of covid and covid exposures at our school. One student had a child that got covid and Liberty told this student to expose a babysitter to covid and expose the school by forcing her to come. She didn’t come and was forced to leave with the option to repeat. Many other schools are exercising discretionary days and the ability to manage life, so this very thing doesn’t happen. This school has more than not done nothing but hurt the mental state of their students. Dehumanizing them and creating a compete lack of empathy. After attending LUCOM I can finally understand why the suicidal rate among medical students is so high. It’s not the coursework it’s the dehumanization by institutions such as LUCOM. Many students started health care medication without ever needing it before. This next thing is extremely important. LUCOM is NOT following AACOMAS policies. LUCOM has not made their policy clear, and wrongfully accused many students of cheating. When a student spoke out about it, he was almost dismissed. The ONLY reason he was not dismissed was to avoid your attention. LUCOM essentially used their policy in an already stressful environment to trick their students. All the people accused of this cheating did not get equal treatment. Some got more harsh punishment than others for no other reason than discrimination and popularity. You risk dismissal if you have a grievance with the school proven by the person who stood up to the school. The moral of the class has plummeted, and students are wanting to quit due to the mental anguish of the school. Many students have said they would have never attended if they knew they were going to be treated this way regardless of the dream of healing people as a physician. Becoming a physician is not worth becoming a robot, dehumanized to the nth degree. There are so many more examples that could be given, but there are too many to write.

Administration Affairs

There is one thing I want to talk about with administration, which has caused there to be all the other issues stated in this letter. There are no checks and balances within the school. Faculty to hold positions that look like checks and balanced are in place, are dismissed to “mind their business” and forced to shut their mouth. There is no way to support students and faculty to prevent the tyranny the administration has been placing on the faculty and students. The last dean who attempted to stand up for students and faculty was swiftly fired and replaced in less than half an hour with no explanation to faculty. You can be fired for not treating faculty and students subhuman. Their practice has caused more faculty than can be counted by one person to resign putting the College in a bad place. They are only given one year contracts and are also treated subhuman. Faculty can resign without giving up their dream. Students really can’t.

Discrimination

There is very obvious discrimination that occurs at the school. Faculty will not be hired UNLESS THEY ARE CREATIONIST CHRISTIAN. No exceptions. Many speakers have tried to be brought in to speak at the College about healthcare but were denied for being homosexual or a different religion (muslim) due to the fear of CONVERSION OF STUDENTS. This is extremely outrageous and unacceptable of an institution that is meant to create empathetic physicians all people.

Furthermore, students who speak up against the injustices done to them will be labeled as unprofessional on their record given to all residencies that they apply to without their knowledge. Faculty have revealed this to a few select students in confidence trying to save them from never being matched.

Faculty

There are some faculty that reside here that actively teach misogynistic and incorrect medicine. For example. Dr Swanson, head of the anatomy department stated, “period sex is medically unsafe “on more than one occasion inappropriately described climax, made molestation jokes over cadaver bodies, and has actively taught WRONG information which can be proven in the lecture PowerPoints. In fact, there is more than one faculty member that has taught objectively wrong information to people who will one day oversee people’s lives. All of the faculty that provide what little positive impact this school can have on a student have resigned and are in the process of leaving or already have left.

We a professor leaving because LUCOM disrespected them so much to hire someone unqualified to do their job and tell them it can be learned in less than a year when they have PhD in their field and took all first year medical courses.

EVERYONE QUALIFIED TO RUN THIS MEDICAL SCHOOL IS LEAVING. ALL THE STUDENTS ARE BEING TREATED LIKE GARBAGE AND NONE OF US HAVE THE POWER TO DO A SINGLE THING ABOUT IT PLEASE HELP US.

All I can say to end this letter is that LUCOM is a school that needs to be changed or not be a medical school at all. I would recommend every single premedical student to avoid going to LUCOM at all costs. Even if LUCOM is the only school to accept a student, it is not worth going. I understand that a lot of people may feel differently, however, these are objective events that have occurred and are blatantly wrong. Please help the faculty and students of LUCOM in whatever way you can. This is a last cry for help. I am planning on applying to a different program in a few years. One that won’t abuse me.

Thank you.
Okay, so first of all. None of this is true. You are just bitter because you failed out after 6 months.

Also, I don't know where you "learned" all of this garbage misinformation, but in the real world, faculty (especially researchers) take new jobs and move on. Our past Dean took at early retirement so that they could bring in a former residency director to help build and refine our clinical years.

Maybe try paying attention to the forms you sign when you matriculated here, the syllabi they hand out at the beginning of the year, and the repeated email updates and reminders of decisions. Also, pay attention in class. Swanson has published thousands of peer-reviewed papers and a drop-out is calling him a fool?

In addition to this, we have many muslims and homosexual students as well (on par with the percentages at all other institutions). So if that is your problem then hate the entire medical education system not just the school you failed out of.

Stop making excuses and own up for your decisions. ~600 other students in the school aren't on here posting like this. Don't play the victim card. Take responsibility. It isn't the school's fault.

The rest of us do just fine and enjoy our time here. The faculty literally view it as their divine calling to give us the best education possible. I'd rather have someone with that type of motivation than someone just showing up to get a paycheck. They knew me by name when I arrived here and have been maintained that level of intentionality and care the entire time I have been here.

#pleasereadme

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
What this student maybe saying is over exaggerated but LUCOM is known to be a problematic school for multiple reasons, especially because of the hard line views of the parent institution.

As a current LUCOM student, I think pretty much all of this is a gross over exaggeration. The cheating allegations were a pretty cut and dry situation of very evident rule breaking. I don't agree with many of the views of the parent institution, but you know that coming here and it doesn't affect you as a medical student. 99% of the students get by just fine and even though I think the administration could do a lot better, I don't think most of our struggles are unique to LUCOM. Talking to friends at other medical schools, I think the level of intentionality from professors and communication from our admin is still better than most DO programs.

OP I don't know the full story, but that has not been my experience at LUCOM so I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Another year, another rambling diatribe about a medical school from a bitter ex-student on a throwaway account. Some things on SDN never change.

If you want your narrative to be taken seriously, you’re going to have to provide actual evidence. Otherwise, your post will just be viewed as a defamatory rant from a frustrated anonymous dropout.

Reactions: 5 users
There is one thing DO schools are guilty off- charging ridiculous tuition costs. If you had started your rant with that you would of had my attention, because im paying 4,000 a month on my tuition in order to pay it off in 10 years and that is unpleasant.

most problems encountered in DO schools are common in DO schools in general. The rest is pretty subjective. People come in with hopes and dreams but idealism is a small part of the equation. Its hard work, and grind. Medical school tears you down so you can grow from the adversity because residency isnt easier, and being an attending isnt easier either. Each stage is just new challenges.

lots of people have passion, but significantly less have work ethic

LMU, ARCOM, RVU, Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons.

Poke around and you can find decisions for 2019 and later. LMU, BCOM and ARCOM are on Accreditation with Heightened Monitoring. This indicates that fewer than three standards are non-compliant and ongoing monitoring will occur via progress reporting. For schools with this status, accreditation will be granted for four years.
Why RVU? My son is at RVU Utah and loves it. Honor grades.They are fully accredited.

Why RVU? My son is at RVU Utah and loves it. Honor grades.They are fully accredited.
I find for profit schools to be distasteful to medical education, but this is outright disgusting behavior:

Im just going to be blunt and ask, when you originally applied to this school surely there must have been ample warnings it wasnt like a traditional DO school, so to speak? From everything you would read about it online, it seems like a rather extreme form of religion, just from someone outside looking in.

The second thing is, technically you did choose to go there.

Third thing is, while some of this stuff probably happens, most DO schools have many flaws, in one way or another, but sometimes they're subjective flaws that depend on how the student views it. My school was a more well known DO school and still had a ton of issues. The pathology professor was so bad, he would make 300 slide powerpoints and it was just pictures of random images with no words and then barely explain anything in class
You don’t even have to be religious to go to LUCOM. The school is not a cult and requires zero practicing of any religion.

You don’t even have to be religious to go to LUCOM. The school is not a cult and requires zero practicing of any religion.
Well it requires practicing one religion.. osteopathy. Anddd it is the cult of Still

• Haha
never called it a cult for one, said from the outside looking in it, some of the views look extreme, whether its the parent institution or what, a random person who doesnt know the school well would judge a bit. It doesnt help with all the bad press about that one dean, falwell.

Not hating on your school; like I said, it is what it is. Pros and cons of every DO school and people associate the medical school with the college

never called it a cult for one, said from the outside looking in it, some of the views look extreme, whether its the parent institution or what, a random person who doesnt know the school well would judge a bit. It doesnt help with all the bad press about that one dean, falwell.

Not hating on your school; like I said, it is what it is. Pros and cons of every DO school and people associate the medical school with the college
Falwell was never the dean of the medical school, he was the former President of Liberty University as a whole. I have stated many times (and will again), that the main university doesn't have a ton of input into the decisions about the medical school. LUCOM has its own deans and administrators, puts out its own student handbook, etc. We're not required to attend the convocation services like the undergrads are, and I've never heard of a LUCOM student receiving a fine or other "punishment" for violating the Liberty Way...the medical students who did not attend Liberty undergrad don't even know what the Liberty Way is. I agree that the Falwell news was not helpful...just like the Larry Nassar case wasn't helpful for Michigan.

I know you didn't call it a cult, I was just pointing out (jokingly, really, about the cult thing...sarcasm doesn't translate well online) that you don't have be religious at all to go there. Aside from the professors praying for us before exams, a student could choose not to attend any of the religious events at LUCOM and it would be just like any other DO school. All the problems that the school does have, have more to do with it being a newer school, and nothing to do with it being associated with a Christian university.

Falwell was never the dean of the medical school, he was the former President of Liberty University as a whole. I have stated many times (and will again), that the main university doesn't have a ton of input into the decisions about the medical school. LUCOM has its own deans and administrators, puts out its own student handbook, etc. We're not required to attend the convocation services like the undergrads are, and I've never heard of a LUCOM student receiving a fine or other "punishment" for violating the Liberty Way...the medical students who did not attend Liberty undergrad don't even know what the Liberty Way is. I agree that the Falwell news was not helpful...just like the Larry Nassar case wasn't helpful for Michigan.

I know you didn't call it a cult, I was just pointing out (jokingly, really, about the cult thing...sarcasm doesn't translate well online) that you don't have be religious at all to go there. Aside from the professors praying for us before exams, a student could choose not to attend any of the religious events at LUCOM and it would be just like any other DO school. All the problems that the school does have, have more to do with it being a newer school, and nothing to do with it being associated with a Christian university.
Although this guy actually had a poster on this subject right at the school's beginning. I can see he hasn't changed his ways.

Dr Swanson, head of the anatomy department stated, “period sex is medically unsafe “

• Wow
I find for profit schools to be distasteful to medical education, but this is outright disgusting behavior:

That's one of the most egregious actions I have seen a medical school take in quite a while. Recommending a for-profit Caribbean program simply because they're owned by the same people is wildly irresponsible.

• Love
Okay, so first of all. None of this is true. You are just bitter because you failed out after 6 months.

Also, I don't know where you "learned" all of this garbage misinformation, but in the real world, faculty (especially researchers) take new jobs and move on. Our past Dean took at early retirement so that they could bring in a former residency director to help build and refine our clinical years.

Maybe try paying attention to the forms you sign when you matriculated here, the syllabi they hand out at the beginning of the year, and the repeated email updates and reminders of decisions. Also, pay attention in class. Swanson has published thousands of peer-reviewed papers and a drop-out is calling him a fool?

In addition to this, we have many muslims and homosexual students as well (on par with the percentages at all other institutions). So if that is your problem then hate the entire medical education system not just the school you failed out of.

Stop making excuses and own up for your decisions. ~600 other students in the school aren't on here posting like this. Don't play the victim card. Take responsibility. It isn't the school's fault.

The rest of us do just fine and enjoy our time here. The faculty literally view it as their divine calling to give us the best education possible. I'd rather have someone with that type of motivation than someone just showing up to get a paycheck. They knew me by name when I arrived here and have been maintained that level of intentionality and care the entire time I have been here.

#pleasereadme
Where did you read OP failed out?