What would you have done in this situation? *vid* (thief)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ethyl

Go suck on a Zoloft.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7fc_1203594215

I'm not sure if I would have tried taking him down. :oops: Just my luck, I'd break his arm or neck and I'd get sued. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I guess if it was an independent pharmacy of mine I would have probably stopped him.. he would have never gotten behind the counter to begin with.

If it was a pharmacy I worked at... Im not risking my life over a bottle of pills. That probably holds true regardless.

It just depends on the situation. Is he armed? How much bigger or smaller is than me? How fast can I get reinforcements??

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would they let him back their to begin with? The door into my pharmacy has a coded lock on it. If it was my pharmacy I'd be putting up a fight just on principle. If it was a chain, hell no.

Why would they let him back their to begin with? The door into my pharmacy has a coded lock on it. If it was my pharmacy I'd be putting up a fight just on principle. If it was a chain, hell no.

Some pharmacies aren't very secure. I know my old store had no security at all. The only thing separating me from the customers was a little rinky dink waist high wooden door with a latch lock that can be opened from either side.

I'd have done shot'em. 'Cause if I ever open up an independent pharmacy, I'm going out armed to the teeth. I'm talking a few semiautomatic shotguns under the counter and all of the techs concealing Glocks in their labcoats. I'd have a poke filled with hand grenades in the back room just in case. I'd put me a sign out front that says "any unauthorized entrants into the pharmacy may be shot on sight." Then I'd have the media come in and do a story about how in this day and age pharmacies are reduced to arming all of their employees. Make sure they get a nice shot of the aforementioned bag filled with grenades. I guarandamntee you nobody tries to rob me....and if they do, they are probably violent wackos that need shot, anyway.

Hence, I'd have done shot'em.

I'd have done shot'em. 'Cause if I ever open up an independent pharmacy, I'm going out armed to the teeth. I'm talking a few semiautomatic shotguns under the counter and all of the techs concealing Glocks in their labcoats. I'd have a poke filled with hand grenades in the back room just in case. I'd put me a sign out front that says "any unauthorized entrants into the pharmacy may be shot on sight." Then I'd have the media come in and do a story about how in this day and age pharmacies are reduced to arming all of their employees. Make sure they get a nice shot of the aforementioned bag filled with grenades. I guarandamntee you nobody tries to rob me....and if they do, they are probably violent wackos that need shot, anyway.

Guarandamntee= great word.

But seriously, who is that stupid.

I'd go after him, since he'll be running away from you (i.e. back facing you), grab him around his waist, lift him up, and trip his legs. This will cause him to fall flat on his face. :thumbup: Or, as WVU said, the grenades work too, other than that damn collateral damage.:smuggrin:

:D:D:D:D:D

You forgot to mention your Kevlar labcoats.

Instead of using spatulas to count pills, pharmacies should consider using switchblades.

I'd have been a good witness and called the local police/DEA/State Bureau of Drug Enforcement, as the DEA recommends in its theft control memorandum to Pharmacists. It's not a pharmacist's job to make a citizen's arrest. If this guy were a regular patient- as they said- then they knew exactly who he was! Also they have camera footage. This is not the type of time to be a ***** and try to be a hero. (you never know what weapons they're carrying, and this guy apparently had a knife so they got lucky).

A Pharmacist's responsibility only goes so far; I'm not risking my life for a bottle of Oxycontin.
Here is a memo from the DEA regarding the Pharmacist's responsibility in preventing the thefts of Controlled Substances:

http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/mtgs/drug_chemical/2007/rx_theft_cgallagher.pdf

Maybe if a co-worker or patient were in danger and there's a chance I could help. But a bottle of Oxycontin... there's nothing heroic about that. My bet is police would have gotten this guy in 10 seconds after he left the pharmacy.

I know that old man is the the wheel chair (background) but it looks like he is just reading a paper throughout the whole thing and didn't even look up once :laugh: