This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms. Anon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I'll be applying to schools hopefully this summers and I'd also like to apply to the states. I'd like to maximize my chances by picking schools which are more open to accepting international students/Canadians. Any recommendations on which schools would be the best?? Money is not an issue and so I fortunately don't have that limitation.
So far I'm considering:

1. Boston University Henry M Goldman School of Dental Medicine (BU)
  2. Tufts University School of Dental Medicine
  3. Case Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine (CASE) [not sure]
  4. University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine (PENN)
  5. University of California, Los Angeles School of Dentistry (UCLA)
  6. University of Southern California Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry (USC)
  7. Howard University College of Dentistry (HOW)
  8. University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry (UDM)
  9. Columbia University College of Dental Medicine (CUL)
  10. New York University College of Dentistry (NYU)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

The schools on your list are fine but we would be able to give you a better idea if we knew what your GPA and DAT scores were. Penn and Columbia may be a reach depending on your stats.

I would remove Tufts from your list unless you fit into one of the three options listed on their website. From Tufts website, "Applicants must either be a US citizen or Permanent Resident or an international student that has or will complete a bachelor’s degree from a four year accredited college/university in the United States".

I would also remove UCLA. It is very difficult to get an interview at a school that is extremely selective for OOS/international applicants.

I would add Pittsburgh and Temple to your list. Good luck!

What are your stats, its difficult to make recommendations otherwise. Anyways, decent list, but realize some of the schools you have on the list are insanely expensive (USC, NYU). As DDS_11 mentioned you should add pitts and temple. I would remove Howard, keep Case and make your list total to around 12-14 schools. Also, be sure that you are able to get the funds as every school there will run you over 400k USD. I am a Canadian in the current cycle with multiple acceptances and 10 interviews to date. You can pm me if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at Detroit Mercy there was so many people interviewing with me from canada. There was also a lot of current students from there as well (you can see a bridge to Canada from the dental school lol). So you applying there is a good move!

So since I'll be applying this summer, I didn't do as well on the DAT last year. I had an AA of 19. I'm giving it again in Feb and I know it's definitely going to go up. I don't know what my GPA is after conversion to American but like over here it's like a 3.72. I think that might drop to a 3.4 but I do have a great set of extracurriculars (doing my thesis so research experience, volunteering at a dental clinic, social work, leadership activities, working as a TA etc ). Thanks for the suggestions! Anything more I can do to make my resume stronger, please let me know - there aren't a lot of resources where I go for dental school (University of Windsor)

What are your stats, its difficult to make recommendations otherwise. Anyways, decent list, but realize some of the schools you have on the list are insanely expensive (USC, NYU). As DDS_11 mentioned you should add pitts and temple. I would remove Howard, keep Case and make your list total to around 12-14 schools. Also, be sure that you are able to get the funds as every school there will run you over 400k USD. I am a Canadian in the current cycle with multiple acceptances and 10 interviews to date. You can pm me if you have any questions
I heard Howard is great on international students, that is the only reason it's there. Congratulations! I'll definitely PM you when applying this year.

Reactions: 1 user
So since I'll be applying this summer, I didn't do as well on the DAT last year. I had an AA of 19. I'm giving it again in Feb and I know it's definitely going to go up. I don't know what my GPA is after conversion to American but like over here it's like a 3.72. I think that might drop to a 3.4 but I do have a great set of extracurriculars (doing my thesis so research experience, volunteering at a dental clinic, social work, leadership activities, working as a TA etc ). Thanks for the suggestions! Anything more I can do to make my resume stronger, please let me know - there aren't a lot of resources where I go for dental school (University of Windsor)
When I say drop to a 3,4, I mean after conversion from Canadian to American GPA ***

I heard Howard is great on international students, that is the only reason it's there. Congratulations! I'll definitely PM you when applying this year.
You're doing all the right things. Your GPA will usually be quite close to your Canadian, within 0.1 in most cases. A 0.3 drop is quite significant. I would focus on getting strong letters of recommendation and starting to think about your personal statement. Also, have everything ready when the cycle opens.

You're doing all the right things. Your GPA will usually be quite close to your Canadian, within 0.1 in most cases. A 0.3 drop is quite significant. I would focus on getting strong letters of recommendation and starting to think about your personal statement. Also, have everything ready when the cycle opens.
I hope you're right about the GPA drop. That is my main concern. And also applying to the right schools to maximize my chances.

I hope you're right about the GPA drop. That is my main concern. And also applying to the right schools to maximize my chances.
You seem to be doing all the right things. I'm sure you will get into a good school. Best of luck!

Dr. Alex Tak: which school r you in now/did undergrad? Which dental school will you be going to?

Dr. Alex Tak: which school r you in now/did undergrad? Which dental school will you be going to?
Currently enrolled at York University. I don't think I will know for certain where I will be until mid March if not later. I have some interviews at my top choice schools. For now I got accepted into Indiana and MWU-IL.

Currently enrolled at York University. I don't think I will know for certain where I will be until mid March if not later. I have some interviews at my top choice schools. For now I got accepted into Indiana and MWU-IL.

Same with me. Accepted at NOVA and U Mich. if I stay in US then most likely at NOVA (I have relatives there) ere. Decided not to attend U Mich ( they r very focused on research and I want more clinical experience). Hoping for UofT, I will see after interview. ( I applied only to Uof T in Canada).

Same with me. Accepted at NOVA and U Mich. if I stay in US then most likely at NOVA (I have relatives there) ere. Decided not to attend U Mich ( they r very focused on research and I want more clinical experience). Hoping for UofT, I will see after interview. ( I applied only to Uof T in Canada).
Very cool! I am waiting to hear back from Nova (WL) - great school. Well I hope UofT works out for you, if that your ultimate goal. I applied exclusively to the States :)

Thanks that honestly helps a lot.
In general Canadians should apply only to these schools but need GPA over 3.6 and DAT over 20 as from posts I can see that most Canadians invited for interview have GPA over 3.7
From ADA 2017 data:
Percent
International.... Aver DAT Aver GPA

D. Mercy 21%............... DAT 20.2.......GPA 3.6
NYU 16 % .................. .. 21.............. 3.49
Boston 14%.................... 19.5........ GPA 3.41

Case 13.............. .......... .19.9 ........ .....3.6
Rutgers 11............................ 21 .............. 3.5
Pittsburgh 9.................... DAT 21....... GPA 3.64
Loma Linda 8
NOVA 7 .......................... DAT 20.7..... 3.52
Pennsylvania 7 .................21........ GAP 3.68
Michigan 6 .................DAT 20.6....... GPA 3.65
Minnesota 6.....................20........ 3.58
UOP 6 ......................... 21.8................ 3.55
Temple 6

Last edited:
In general Canadians should apply only to these schools but need GPA over 3.6 and DAT over 20 as from posts I can see that most Canadians invited for interview have GPA over 3.7
From ADA 2017 data:
Percent
International.... Aver DAT Aver GPA

D. Mercy 21%............... DAT 20.2.......GPA 3.6
NYU 16 % .................. .. 21.............. 3.49
Boston 14%.................... 19.5........ GPA 3.41

Case 13.............. .......... .19.9 ........ .....3.6
Rutgers 11............................ 21 .............. 3.5
Pittsburgh 9.................... DAT 21....... GPA 3.64
Loma Linda 8
NOVA 7 .......................... DAT 20.7..... 3.52
Pennsylvania 7 .................21........ GAP 3.68