What would a PhD in Aerospace engineering get me?

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm not sure if medicine is right for me so I was wondering say I get accepted to MIT what would a PhD in Aerospace Engineering get me. I love the idea of going to school that long but is the engineering field just a phase? Also I do not want to get a education job I would like to actually be an engineer for a firm or the U.S. military. Would a PhD get me a better position or would I be neck and neck with the BS guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I'm not sure if medicine is right for me so I was wondering say I get accepted to MIT what would a PhD in Aerospace Engineering get me. I love the idea of going to school that long but is the engineering field just a phase? Also I do not want to get a education job I would like to actually be an engineer for a firm or the U.S. military. Would a PhD get me a better position or would I be neck and neck with the BS guys?

Well, if you go to MIT, chances are you'll wind up on track to do something interesting. (I have a friend that went there, got her BA, then MS) and is now honestly working on building a flying car.

I don't know that you absolutely have to commit to a PhD track if you go into an engineering field. Keep in mind, the most I know about engineering is that I hate physics and have a HS friend that is trying to build flying cars.

I guess the points I'm trying to make are...
1.) you don't need to commit to anything now
2.) health professionals are great at giving health professions career advice, get us outside our chosen element and we only know as much as anyone else... studentphysicist.net?

Physics major to the rescue! From what I understand, a PhD in engineering either sets you up for a project manager position or a faculty research position. In other words, a Master's is really all you need if you want to actually do the engineering. That seems to be the consensus from my numerous freinds in engineering fields, anyway.

Since we're on a pre-med website, I'd be remiss to not note that engineering classes are fiendishly difficult. Your GPA is going to suffer badly if you go this route, I guarantee it. There's a good chance it will suffer badly enough that med school won't be an option without some extra post-bac work.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if you go to MIT, chances are you'll wind up on track to do something interesting. (I have a friend that went there, got her BA, then MS) and is now honestly working on building a flying car.

I don't know that you absolutely have to commit to a PhD track if you go into an engineering field. Keep in mind, the most I know about engineering is that I hate physics and have a HS friend that is trying to build flying cars.

I guess the points I'm trying to make are...
1.) you don't need to commit to anything now
2.) health professionals are great at giving health professions career advice, get us outside our chosen element and we only know as much as anyone else... studentphysicist.net?

A flying car? That's awesome...

And yes. I don't know exactly what sort of HS you went to, but I found as soon as I went to college that I would much prefer eating diamonds everyday to being a physicist. and its hard.

Sounds like fun! If you're up to it, have at it! Aerospace engineering, especially today, seems to be quite important. In addition to flying cars, you could probably work on some sort of space vehicle or other form of aeronautical vehicle. Ask around. You'll probably get better answers from calling direct. Tell them you're a student interested in eventual employment in the aerospace field. NASA, Mil Recruiters, etc. Plenty of Engineering stuff to do in the Navy, for example. Actually, my friend went to a Navy Engineering Recruiting meeting at the U. Basically, they'd be working on subs and radar and other military technology. Aerospace, you'd probably be more geared towards the Air Force, I bet, but they have engineers too. You could call Lockheed/Grumman/McDonnell, Boeing, and see what they have to offer as well.

Whee, it's a fun field, I bet. Not a math guy myself, but flying cars and everything are totally something I want eventually ^.^

-Compass

After your aerospace engineering PhD, you could go into medicine and become a neurosurgeon.

Then when people say, "Wow, you're a brain surgeon?"

You could reply, "Well, it's not like it's rocket science."

After your aerospace engineering PhD, you could go into medicine and become a neurosurgeon.

Then when people say, "Wow, you're a brain surgeon?"

You could reply, "Well, it's not like it's rocket science."
Ha! It struck me a couple months back that I might eventually be both a rocket scientist (astrophysics degree) and a brain surgeon (fairly strong interest in the field). How weird would that be?

Ha! It struck me a couple months back that I might eventually be both a rocket scientist (astrophysics degree) and a brain surgeon (fairly strong interest in the field). How weird would that be?

I guess that would make you half-god :scared:

Maybe I can help. My sister went to MIT and studied Aerospace. Not gonna lie- it was cool for me to watch her do her thing (I'd be calling her, telling her how hard my cell bio test was and meanwhile I'd hear someone in the back screaming in Japanese and hear a lot of hammering of metal, then she'd tell me that she was building an engine for a Mars Rover and she had to go...made my messing around with orgo models look like I was playing tetris). She got to meet Stephen Pinker, one of her professors had to be flown into the Pentagon once while she was in class, and she learned sound physics from Bose himself.
Basically, if you're a science nerd, MIT is the way to go.
It's also hell. I know you think you can take it, you're probably the smartest kid in your class and all that. So is everyone there. They're not like many of the Ivies who take more fluffy, artistic types. These people will all be intelligent in the exact same way you're intelligent. It's daunting, and terrifying, and really really really humbling. I can tell you that my sister got such a high grade in her final exams in high school that she was congratulated by the mayor of our city (he sent her a letter), she got a 1600 on the sat the first time she took them...anyways, she's kind of a beast. And yet the first year of MIT she was absolutely dying from being overworked and so stressed. Anyways, that's my cautionary tale against MIT: you better be ready.
Incidentally, funny story: she was given a ring with the MIT mascot at matriculation, and told to wear it with the head of the beaver (yup, mascot is the beaver...they build things, dontcha know) facing her throughout the four years and then flip it around at graduation. I asked her why that is, and she said that the tradition is that through the four years, it's MIT against you. After that, it's you and MIT against the world. Think about the first part- they literally will fight against you. No hand-holding. It's intense.

As for aerospace, I know she really liked it, got to spend some summers at NASA, introduced me to Buzz Aldrin, that kind of thing. But I'm pretty sure that the PhD would be fairly useless. The only people I know who are doing the PhD thing for aero/astro are the ones who probably want to go back into academia, or are at least leaving the option open.

Anyways, those are my 2 cents. Good luck with MIT if you choose to go there! Go beavers!

Sorry, I'd missed this one. I am an alumnus of MIT. I went there planning on engineering and ended up applying to medical school after taking quite a few engineering classes.

First of all, going to MIT or a similar school does not mean you have to plan on a PhD, even if you start off majoring in aerospace engineering (Course 16 as I recall in MIT lingo). Second of all, MIT is a tough school and the approach to education there hasn't changed much in the over 30 years since I started at the "Tute." They've gotten rid of the IHTFP shirts, but it's still true that you will work hard and A's are hard to come by. Not everyone enjoys that atmosphere.

Is it worth it? Well with many years of hind-sight, I'd probably say "yes" but I'm not certain that there aren't other better choices for someone definitely going into medicine who isn't strongly interested in biomedical research. I still appreciate the connections I got, I even use certain aspects of my education that were fairly unique to MIT and I have never, even when I was there, regretted attending and graduating from MIT.

But, only you can decide if this is the place for you. Talk to lots of MIT current and former students and decide (assuming you get in of course...;)). On the whole, it would be hard to say that going to MIT gives you a big leg up in the med school application process and bad grades are bad grades anywhere, so you'll have to work very hard to get the grades at MIT, especially in engineering.

Here is a pdf file to understand better what it brings to you. Click this : Aerospace Engineer Salary