What will be your most feared class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocknightmare

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a histology final on monday. but i just want to procastinate instead. so what you think will be your most hated class in dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

I will loathe the day when we learn how to do oral injections... on our classmates... :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
I will loathe the day when we learn how to do oral injections... on our classmates...

Yup, that's going to make IV training with my EMT classmates pale in comparison. :scared:

um, gross anatomy lab... :D

tzips, my histology class is in the anatomy lab. those dead bodies do wake up a night and start walking around so you should be prepared :)

Ironically, I am a molecular biology and biochem honors student and I just hate biochem courses, especially those ones with genes, biotechniques, signalling pathways....

Instead, I love pure chemistry, biology and physics courses.. Love them... Love learning new stuff from bio like developmental bio, physiology... Somehow, my biochem courses do not attract me... exams are so hard and professors S@#@s and boring...

the 3 biochem professors i had, two were arrogrant, and the third was very quiet. so i don't know i don't have a great perspective on how biochem professors are.

rocknightmare said:
tzips, my histology class is in the anatomy lab. those dead bodies do wake up a night and start walking around so you should be prepared :)

yay. so those dreams about perambulating cadavers (aka zombies) that i've been having really were prophetic in nature, and not just induced by too much pizza before bedtime... sigh.

so, if we're going to have to keep those bodies entertained at night, anyone know any good corpse jokes besides "your exsanguination is apparent and you look like you have SSSS"?? :D

Gross ... I'm not looking forward to that next semester. The sciences I've loved but that just scares me for some reason.

I have a feeling that I will really hate histology in dental school.
My most feared undergrad class next quarter at ucla will be biochem lab... but its my last class ever at ucla so i don't mind

I thought the same thing.... histology, biochem, etc. IT'S WAXING THAT SUCKS!!! You can have the most perfect tooth and you get a B while the dude next to you has a tooth that looks like crap with an A. Welcome to the subjective world of dentistry. I am sure the upperclass men/women will elaborate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Predentchick has identified my most feared class as I have never done waxing and have some strange feeling I am going to suck at first (but only at first). I rue the day when I have to work on a wax up for 5 hours and only have a couple hours to study for the overload of science classes. It reminds me of the uneven distribution of hours for undergrad lab classes, but at least it is developing a critical skill. I know how I am going to spend my winter break.

But I guess you are looking for most hated. I don't know, all the classes look so damn cool to me (having a business background I have been enjoying every class I take, regardless of the total suck factor.. i.e. physics blows, but I still feel like it is building up a formerly downtrodden man). I suppose any law class (i.e. San Antonio -- not my official choice -- makes you take a jurisprudence class).

predentchick said:
I thought the same thing.... histology, biochem, etc. IT'S WAXING THAT SUCKS!!! You can have the most perfect tooth and you get a B while the dude next to you has a tooth that looks like crap with an A. Welcome to the subjective world of dentistry. I am sure the upperclass men/women will elaborate.

Exactly, it's not only waxing, it's EVERY subjective course! They drive me frickin' insane.

I had a decent prep and was given a C, while the guy next to me had a horrible prep--so horrible that he took his drill and drilled down the gingiva on his typodont (took him 1+ hour) to make it look like he hadn't removed the amount of tooth structure that he did. He got an A.

ItsGavinC said:
....so horrible that he took his drill and drilled down the gingiva on his typodont (took him 1+ hour) to make it look like he hadn't removed the amount of tooth structure that he did. He got an A.

Why wasn't he marked off for destroying tissue he wasn't supposed to? No matter how clean it would have looked, the gingiva would still have looked altered and that alone should have been an automatic failure. The pateint would be in a lot of pain and the ethics involved.

Here, they even make a huge deal if we slightly nick the adjacent tooth...which is also grounds for automatic failure.

Sounds like gross over cutting too so that is another reason for failure... how the hell did this guy get an "A"????

ItsGavinC said:
Who knows, some people just simply suck all the time at waxing.

Thanks for the inspiring words Gavin :)

wow i couldn't agree with you more. our tooth morph lab wasnt bad at all, but gnathology just kicked our asses. not only that the grading was so damn subjective, the instructor was just an absolute jerk. i have never met anyone so arrogant and so mean. his explanation of his personality was "well i am German and so its in my genes". his answer word for word.

now to OP:

most definitely pathology. upper classmen have told us that this will be the most dioficult class at IUSD as the instructor is very demanding. calls on you infront the whole class and asks drills on you. Oh by the way, i have also heard that several people were weeping after the encounters with this dude.

predentchick said:

Perfect...I heard about your patho instructor and how hard the class is. The guy I told you about who showed me around the school told me about him and was proud to say he passed his class. I am worried more about wax ups than anything else (dont know the name of the course...is it Dental Anatomy/Dental Materials)? This is all assuming I get in, of course. Right now I have a histo and cell bio final this week (Monday and Thursday respectively). Histo is an all comprehensive essay test (ugh)! Not too worried about the pre-clinical sciences...more worried about the lab stuff. Histo is just looking at slides over and over and over and over. Not bad overall. Oh and one final thing...if some of you cant handle cadavers good luck! I loved A&P I and II...my favorite classes so far. Biochem sucks.

yep the dude is pretty famous. just to give you an idea, he gave us two brief lectures just so that we are introduced to him i guess. the introduction (8 am after having had a horrible past week) went something like:
-just because you are here doesnt mean you will make it.
-we will kick you out no matter what you have heard.
-i have no sympathy for people who get cancer because they deserve it because they smoked all their lives. (oh by the way, he is pathologist treating cancer patients :eek: )
-many make it in the minor league but suck in the major league. you are in the major league but it doesnt mean you will be able to play with the big boys.
-there are a bunch of people failing my course as we speak (25 to be exact) and they will repeat. guess what, so will you when i fail you.
-last one, my favorite one...i believe in second chances, but it wont be in dental school. get you second chance in something else.

now you tell me how much you would like HIM and the course.

p.s. if anyone knows a hit man, please let me know, i will need him in 6 months or so when i start my 2nd yr. :laugh:

bullfan, waxing can get a little hard but its really a matter of practice. i wasnt too good at it but i know i could have if i got over the frustrations and practiced more.

Bullfan16 said:
Perfect...I heard about your patho instructor and how hard the class is. The guy I told you about who showed me around the school told me about him and was proud to say he passed his class. I am worried more about wax ups than anything else (dont know the name of the course...is it Dental Anatomy/Dental Materials)? This is all assuming I get in, of course. Right now I have a histo and cell bio final this week (Monday and Thursday respectively). Histo is an all comprehensive essay test (ugh)! Not too worried about the pre-clinical sciences...more worried about the lab stuff. Histo is just looking at slides over and over and over and over. Not bad overall. Oh and one final thing...if some of you cant handle cadavers good luck! I loved A&P I and II...my favorite classes so far. Biochem sucks.

that dude reminds me of my bio 203 lab professor. she would tell us that 50% will fail the first exam.

but i actually somewhat didn't mind her. as she told us straight up if you dont' study and fear me you will fail. so i feared her :)

Brocnizer2007 said:
Why wasn't he marked off for destroying tissue he wasn't supposed to? No matter how clean it would have looked, the gingiva would still have looked altered and that alone should have been an automatic failure. The pateint would be in a lot of pain and the ethics involved.

Here, they even make a huge deal if we slightly nick the adjacent tooth...which is also grounds for automatic failure.

Sounds like gross over cutting too so that is another reason for failure... how the hell did this guy get an "A"????

Come on, Brocco, we all know that the guy was just trying to simulate perio disease. This ain't just working outside the box, it's a newer, bigger, better box. Ring any bells? :laugh:

PERFECT3435 said:
yep the dude is pretty famous. just to give you an idea, he gave us two brief lectures just so that we are introduced to him i guess. the introduction (8 am after having had a horrible past week) went something like:
-just because you are here doesnt mean you will make it.
-we will kick you out no matter what you have heard.
-i have no sympathy for people who get cancer because they deserve it because they smoked all their lives. (oh by the way, he is pathologist treating cancer patients :eek: )
-many make it in the minor league but suck in the major league. you are in the major league but it doesnt mean you will be able to play with the big boys.
-there are a bunch of people failing my course as we speak (25 to be exact) and they will repeat. guess what, so will you when i fail you.
-last one, my favorite one...i believe in second chances, but it wont be in dental school. get you second chance in something else.

now you tell me how much you would like HIM and the course.

p.s. if anyone knows a hit man, please let me know, i will need him in 6 months or so when i start my 2nd yr. :laugh:

yeah, sounds like JUST the type of prof - or pathologist, for that matter - that i've always wanted to have. does the dean just not care? i've always thought that dental schools did not want students dropping out, becuase that leaves them with empty, non-paying seats... sigh.

and since when does smoking cause breast cancer - of liver cancer - or pancreatic cancer? :mad: it's like my bio 107 prof announcing that all preemies should just be left to die, because the hospitals spend millions of $s on them and they're all mentally retarted anyways... i really wanted to introduce my 1500 page orgo text to his head :smuggrin:

Brocnizer2007 said:

All the same rules apply at our school, of course. The initial problems was that he took 2-3mm off the occlusal tip of a canine on a crown prep, and knew that woudl fail him, so he trimmed the gingiva down to make it look like he just barely took too much off, rather than 2-3 mm.

I guess the professor didn't look at the gingiva, but it WAS mangled and looked like a POS.

Sk8aBull said:
I will loathe the day when we learn how to do oral injections... on our classmates... :scared:

I didnt know they did that!