What was more challenging/difficult med school or EM residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkelton

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those close to finishing or have finished their training, I was wondering which you found to be more challenging or difficult?

Also out of the 7 or 8 years of training which was your least favorite, most favorite?

Members don't see this ad.

Residency was more challenging than med school by a long shot. Of all the years PGY-2 was my most difficult, MS4 was my easiest but PGY-3 was my most fun year.

Residency is far far more challenging than medschool. It's also far more enjoyable (aside from the comparative lack of free time).

Members don't see this ad :)
I found med school more challenging. Maybe it's just that residency is by far a more enjoyable experience because you're doing what you want to do.

med school more challenging. The traveling for rotations, the constant anxiety of having to get good letters, the stress of the USMLEs and interviewing. In residency that all goes away and you get to do more real life stuff and you're doing something that actually matters.

Residency more difficult and more rewarding. PGY-2 and 3 were equally awesome (with a slight nod to 3 secondary to not rotating through the PICU and dealing with trauma floor scut), MSIII was my least favorite. Mycoplasma pneumonia through last month of medicine and 1st month of surgery in the pre-80 hr world with an honorable mention to 36 hr L&D shifts.

I have mixed thoughts on this..... Medical school overall seemed more taxing. I spent so much time in class and studying those first two years.... Third year sucked because you are the bottom of the totem pole, usually do not have a clue what the heck you are doing, and have to show up to everything eager and enthusiastic with a big fake smile on your face. 80 hour rule doesn't apply to students, so I spent some 100+ weeks in the hospital doing things I did not enjoy (surgery). 4th year was much 'easier' but stressful with applications to residency and such..

Intern year kind of sucks because again you know little about whats going on, you are the lowest level 'doctor' and are expected to do all the little things/BS. However, it was easier to remain eager as I knew I was where I wanted to be and was coming towards an end goal.

2nd and 3rd years were good, lots of learning, professional skills building, and doing what I love. Lots of work and lots of reading, but again did not feel bad since I cared about what I was doing.

4th year of residency was by far the best. You were 'the man' in the department, respected by nursing staff and your attendings, you knew what to do and could run things comfortably. Additionally I moonlit too much and had a boatload of money; had great friends and went on many awesome trips (Vegas, Cruise, Duck hunt, deer hunt, etc). Life was good...

I think this is all perspective and unique to everyone.

Medical School has its own challenges - as mentioned above, the stress of the unknown and the pressure to choose a career are intangible second to the learning one must endure.

Residency to me was fun and easy - but challenging for many more reasons, the most frustrating of which was the hours, the multiple changes and adaptations to learn each specialty, and the pressure of board review.

Perhaps the most challenging, and at times the most difficult of all, is when you get out and become an attending. There the real stress of lifestyle balance and accountability take over...