Reaction score
I'm applying to:

University of South Florida
University of Central Florida
Florida State University
Florida Gulf Coast University
University of Miami
New York University
Columbia University (Never hurts to try:p)

I expect to get into the first 4 because

1. I have a pretty good GPA and whatnot.
2. They're Public State Universities and I live in Florida

The last three are reaches. I would die if I got into Columbia. I visited last summer and completely fell in love. Same story with NYU. Univeristy of Miami is private, and hard to get into, but I'm giving it a shot.

I've been to all of these campuses and I can honestly say I'd be happy at any one of these schools :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reach: Oberlin College

Match: Kenyon College

Shoe-In: Kalamazoo College
Ohio Wesleyan University
College of Wooster

Have toured Oberlin and Kenyon, and if I don't get into Oberlin ED, I'll tour the other three. I'll probably do a overnight at Kenyon as well. But I'm really, really hoping for Oberlin--I shadowed some of their research this summer and am positively smitten with it. Love it.

Northland College
University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point
Univeristy of Wisconsin- Green Bay

They are relatively easy to get into but because of my GPA last year.... 50/50 shot. I'm so nervous. TOMORROW is first day of accepting applications! ahhh!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Reach: USC Bac/MD
USC
UC San Diego Bac/MD
UC San Diego

Target: Cal State Univ Of Long Beach(CSULB)
Cal State Univ of Dominguez Hills
UCLA

I'm going to apply next year(my senior year)

Last edited:
I was thinking of applying to UCLA, but they don't take many out of staters, and on the rare chance I do get it..tuition would be killer.

Yeah. I live in long beach, ca. im not trying to apply to many out of states. but if i get accepted to a ba/md program out of state i'd probably go.

I'm applying to:

Florida State University
University of Miami
New York University

The last three are reaches. I would die if I got into Columbia. I visited last summer and completely fell in love. Same story with NYU. Univeristy of Miami is private, and hard to get into, but I'm giving it a shot.

I've been to all of these campuses and I can honestly say I'd be happy at any one of these schools :)

If you have a "Pretty good GPA" the only reach school there would really be Columbia, which by the way is cut throat competitive to get into. I am applying to U of F in Florida next year which is a good school. As you can tell by my avatar I am a big fan of NYU, it's an awesome University. As long as you have around a 3.3-3.5 with a club or two that you are in or something you will be fine. As for the rest of the colleges I am applying to, I have a lot but I will just name a handful:

Vanderbilt University
Cornell
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Ohio State University-Columbus
Rutgers
NYU
Dartmouth College (No chance probably but what the hell)
Fordham
Penn State
University of North Carolina
Wake Forest

(There are a lot more hahaha but those are the schools I really want to get into) The only reaches to me are already up there:

Reach Schools:

Vanderbilt Univ.
Cornell Univ.
Dartmouth College

If you have a "Pretty good GPA" the only reach school there would really be Columbia, which by the way is cut throat competitive to get into. I am applying to U of F in Florida next year which is a good school. As you can tell by my avatar I am a big fan of NYU, it's an awesome University. As long as you have around a 3.3-3.5 with a club or two that you are in or something you will be fine. As for the rest of the colleges I am applying to, I have a lot but I will just name a handful:

Vanderbilt University
Cornell
Rutgers
NYU
Fordham
Penn State
Wake Forest

(There are a lot more hahaha but those are the schools I really want to get into) The only reaches to me are already up there:

Reach Schools:

Vanderbilt Univ.
Cornell Univ.
Dartmouth College

haha that was me the last two years... I had like 20 schools I wanted to apply to and then I was like ... uhh if i got in... would I go there? and then even more so... "Holy Crap, I can't afford applications 35-65 dollars each for 20 schools!" haha Now I'm applying to 2-3 schools with a total of 88$ application fees.

Vanderbilt University
Cornell
Rutgers
NYU
Fordham
Penn State
Wake Forest

Reach Schools:

Vanderbilt Univ.
Cornell Univ.
Dartmouth College

Wow . what your GPA and how much have you spent applying?

Wow . what your GPA and how much have you spent applying?

Haven't applied yet, I will apply next year (Senior year). I don't know what my GPA I will have to ask but it is well above a 3.0 on a 4 point scale so I am fine for most of those colleges GPA-wise. Definitely in top half but again I just started junior year and haven't got in touch with the guidance department in my school. You need around a 3.5 to get into a lot of those schools though. What is your GPA?

haha that was me the last two years... I had like 20 schools I wanted to apply to and then I was like ... uhh if i got in... would I go there? and then even more so... "Holy Crap, I can't afford applications 35-65 dollars each for 20 schools!" haha Now I'm applying to 2-3 schools with a total of 88$ application fees.

Yeah I'm kind of worried about that because it is going to wind up being like two grand just for the huge stack of applications. I really want to apply to a lot of schools, maybe I can help my parents by paying for half.

haven't Applied Yet, I Will Apply Next Year (senior Year). I Don't Know What My Gpa I Will Have To Ask But It Is Well Above A 3.0 On A 4 Point Scale So I Am Fine For Most Of Those Colleges Gpa-wise. Definitely In Top Half But Again I Just Started Junior Year And Haven't Got In Touch With The Guidance Department In My School. You Need Around A 3.5 To Get Into A Lot Of Those Schools Though. What Is Your Gpa?

3.69 Uw

Yeah I'm kind of worried about that because it is going to wind up being like two grand just for the huge stack of applications. I really want to apply to a lot of schools, maybe I can help my parents by paying for half.

Yeah... honestly though... through the next year and a half spend more time researching those schools and narrow your choices down to your very top schools you want to... apply early and if you don't get into your top two or three... you can always apply for your backup schools/ safety schools. I'm applying right now... I should be notified early october... so if you don't get your top schools... there is still plenty of time to apply to more schools and you're saving money. And just ask the questions I did before... Why do I want to go to each of these schools? If I got in... and got into these schools as well... would I actually go there? Would I move half way across the country and pay a ton of money before i go to grad school? Questions like those narrowed my choices from 23 to 2. haha. funny how things work like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah... honestly though... through the next year and a half spend more time researching those schools and narrow your choices down to your very top schools you want to... apply early and if you don't get into your top two or three... you can always apply for your backup schools/ safety schools. I'm applying right now... I should be notified early october... so if you don't get your top schools... there is still plenty of time to apply to more schools and you're saving money. And just ask the questions I did before... Why do I want to go to each of these schools? If I got in... and got into these schools as well... would I actually go there? Would I move half way across the country and pay a ton of money before i go to grad school? Questions like those narrowed my choices from 23 to 2. haha. funny how things work like that.

That's a good idea. I still think I will wind up applying to 20-25 schools though. I just figure, hey, I'll spend the extra grand to apply to ten really good schools and will probably get into a few whereas apply to one of those top ten and getting rejected.

That's a good idea. I still think I will wind up applying to 20-25 schools though. I just figure, hey, I'll spend the extra grand to apply to ten really good schools and will probably get into a few whereas apply to one of those top ten and getting rejected.

Yeeahh.

So I started doing my applications this morning.... oh my goodness... One application I was working on for almost 2 hours and I still have 2 essays to write and all my residency and activites... not to mention guidance, LORs and things like that! I didn't even have time to start my other apps. it's going to suck next year when you have to spend that much time doing all of those applications.

Yeeahh.

So I started doing my applications this morning.... oh my goodness... One application I was working on for almost 2 hours and I still have 2 essays to write and all my residency and activites... not to mention guidance, LORs and things like that! I didn't even have time to start my other apps. it's going to suck next year when you have to spend that much time doing all of those applications.
Yeah, I'm not looking forward to it, LOR's aren't a problem for me, choosing the right one might be though. I hear you though, applications take forever but that packet of paper could be your golden ticket to getting accepted so make sure you mention EVERYTHING.

Last edited:
Yeah. Since all applications were available yesterday I was asking everyone today where they want to go and it sucks because everyone had like the same schools and all I thought all day was "Omg... I don't want to go to college with everyone I went to high school with!" So I'm hoping at least half of those people choose another school...

Safety Schools:
University of Texas at Austin
A&M
Baylor College

Reach:
Johns Hopkins University
Boston College
Tufts

Haha, yeah right:
Rice University
Washington University at St. Louis

Ok, honestly, weird question here, but what makes more sense:

Going into a college you DEFINITELY made it into, so that you can be the top student with a great GPA

OR

going into a college you just barely got accepted into (say, Johns Hopkins with its competitive grading system) and doing ok?

Last edited:
Okay, honestly, weird question here, but what makes more sense:

Going into a college you DEFINITELY made it into, so that you can be the top student with a great GPA

OR

going into a college you just barely got accepted into (say, Johns Hopkins with its competitive grading system) and doing ok?

I've heard conflicting things. On one hand, I've heard that med schools simply look at your grades and rankings, regardless of where you went, so it's better to go where you'll be the best. On the other hand, I've also heard that schools like Rice (we'll skip JH because it has a med school attached to it) will be able to get you not only into med school, but into really good ones. It all depends on how much of an influence the name of the school is going to have.

I'm (hopefully) going to a school where I'm going to be lucky to be average, but that's my personal choice.

Safety Schools:
A&M
Baylor College

Reach:
Johns Hopkins University
Boston College
Tufts

Haha, yeah right:
Rice University

OR

Getting a really good GPA will outweigh a not so great at all at a different school even if it is an impressive school. Unless the difference is like 3.9 vs. 3.8... but if its like 3.1 vs. 3.8... definitely go to the other school.

Safety Schools:
A&M
Baylor College

Reach:
Johns Hopkins University
Boston College
Tufts

Haha, yeah right:
Rice University

OR

Realistically, I'd go to the school I know I'd do very well in. Being a top student with a great GPA speaks louder than an average GPA/rank at a competitive college.

I got into Washington University but didn't go because I didn't want to do ROTC to pay for it. I went to Missouri instead and finished with two majors, a minor, and honors for the Honors College and research honors in four years with a 3.33 GPA (not great, but not bad). Got into grad school in biology and vet school no prob (and law school too, if anyone cares).

My brother got into and attended Wash U for engineering (first biomedical then electrical). He dropped out due to poor GPA. He is now doing Air National Guard and attempting to finish at the little local four year college.

My advice: go where you will do well, NOT just because of the name. :rolleyes:

Northland College
University of Wisconsin- Stevens Point
Univeristy of Wisconsin- Green Bay

They are relatively easy to get into but because of my GPA last year.... 50/50 shot. I'm so nervous. TOMORROW is first day of accepting applications! ahhh!

Do you live in Wisconsin? I live in Wisconsin and I can provide some feedback.

Why do you want to go to Northland College?

Do you live in Wisconsin? I live in Wisconsin and I can provide some feedback.

Why do you want to go to Northland College?

Before I wanted to go into medicine I wanted to go there so it sorta stuck with me. ( I wanted to go for geology and environmental science... good school for that....wayy environmental) But now that I'm doing something different I'm not applying there anymore... too small and doesn't offer what I need to get where I want to go.

I had over 20 schools I wanted to go to outside of Wisconsin but with grad school rates... I'll be over 200,000 in debt as it is... I'd like to go as cheap as possible for undergrad. Besides, from what i hear... for the most part the institiution isn't the importnat part... its everything else you do. So thats what I'm goign with haha.

Haven't applied yet, I will apply next year (Senior year). I don't know what my GPA I will have to ask but it is well above a 3.0 on a 4 point scale so I am fine for most of those colleges GPA-wise. Definitely in top half but again I just started junior year and haven't got in touch with the guidance department in my school. You need around a 3.5 to get into a lot of those schools though. What is your GPA?
Go to your School districts website. There should be the grading scale. Find out what your grades are in your classes, or check online if your school has online grades. Using the grading scale and find your GPA that way.

My last semester grade was a 4.2, but once factored in I got a 3.8. The highest cumulative I've ever gotten was a 4.0.

Saltec, I agree with you on that.

Only, I worry going to a college that I can get into easily, will put me in contact with people below me. I want to be who want to do more, and get grades. I don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of loons who want me to party with them every weekend, I don't need any peasants with their insignificant distractions.

Though I'd be worried about a reach school. The last I'd want to be is the dumbest person in the school. I'd be the peasant in that situation.

I'm applying to:

Florida State University
University of Miami
New York University

Out of curiosity, why not UF? You seem to have a lot of the other Florida schools up there, and UF is arguably Florida's best. I currently go to UF, so if you have any questions, feel free to pm me. And this goes to anyone else as well that is looking at UF, I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have. :)

I've updated my choices, and I think I'm just about finalized now. I don't have an order of desire yet, except for Rutgers still being my number one choice.

- Rutgers New Brunswick
- University of Maryland: College Park
- Hofstra University
- Penn State Berks
- Long Island University Brooklyn
- SUNY Cortland
- Kean University
- CUNY Hunter College

I want to major in Exercise Science/Kinesiology at just about all of these institutions, except for Kean and Hunter. They're my ultimate safety schools at which I would either major in straight Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or Athletic Training/Sports Medicine.

I feel a bit more secure with these eight schools compared to my former five. The college counselor at my school has been a huge help and suggested I look at Penn State, Maryland, and even Buffalo (but I decided that was a bit too far for me). It seems as though U of MD will be the most difficult school as far as median SAT scores go, though I'm just a tiny bit under. I'm not worried though, as my first choice is still Rutgers.

I've updated my choices, and I think I'm just about finalized now. I don't have an order of desire yet, except for Rutgers still being my number one choice.

- Rutgers New Brunswick
- University of Maryland: College Park
- Hofstra University
- Penn State Berks
- Long Island University Brooklyn
- SUNY Cortland
- Kean University
- CUNY Hunter College

I want to major in Exercise Science/Kinesiology at just about all of these institutions, except for Kean and Hunter. They're my ultimate safety schools at which I would either major in straight Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or Athletic Training/Sports Medicine.

I feel a bit more secure with these eight schools compared to my former five. The college counselor at my school has been a huge help and suggested I look at Penn State, Maryland, and even Buffalo (but I decided that was a bit too far for me). It seems as though U of MD will be the most difficult school as far as median SAT scores go, though I'm just a tiny bit under. I'm not worried though, as my first choice is still Rutgers.

Cool! Monday night is my night to get everything in. ahh..