What typically happens when a patient is a flirt with their dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ignored and not considered a huge deal or is the patient given to a new dentist? How frequently are you hit on or flirted with by patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Lmaaaoo has no one ever hit on you before?

Lmaaaoo has no one ever hit on you before?
I'm not a dentist nor am I working in a medical setting yet.

Reason I'm asking: Some people made it sound like an absolute death sentence to flirt with your dentist. I said my dentist was cute and they about had an infarction..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it ignored and not considered a huge deal or is the patient given to a new dentist? How frequently are you hit on or flirted with by patients?
every so often. usually my older population. or the ones that you'd likely have very little interest in at all. just shrug it off. be humble, but flattered.

Reactions: 1 user
It happens more than most dentists think. I'm married, and my background/culture doesn't believe in wedding bands in public settings. I had a lot of "read between the lines" looks/impressions from female patients. Some of them may have been just me reading too much into it, some definitely not. It's important to always remember the dentist stays professional no matter what the cues a patient may be sharing with them.

There are horror stories out there (actually happend to a friend hygienist), where she caught her husband dentist on a desk inside his office with a patient.

Reactions: 3 users
It happens more than most dentists think. I'm married, and my background/culture doesn't believe in wedding bands in public settings. I had a lot of "read between the lines" looks/impressions from female patients. Some of them may have been just me reading too much into it, some definitely not. It's important to always remember the dentist stays professional no matter what the cues a patient may be sharing with them.

There are horror stories out there (actually happend to a friend hygienist), where she caught her husband dentist on a desk inside his office with a patient.

Totally agree with the general concept that Coldfront said.

The reality is, yup it happens, especially if you as the dentist (male or female) has a good personality and communication skills. You will have a patient sometime make some flirty conversation with you. That's some people being their selves.

Personally as an almost 46yr old man, married for over 20yrs, when it happens to me (and it does), I liken it to the nice feeling I get on occasion these days when I actually get carded at a bar/restaurant/liquor store/grocery store. It momentarily makes me feel good to think that I'm "young" again, but I know what the reality is... :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
cce6c4914d72b2a2bc258f8a3407d129.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
My geriatric grandmas hit on me all the time. I be like yeah.... I'm cute, now accept this 400000 dollar treatment plan.

But on the real, if it happens it happens. Draw a line and if they happen to cross it, politely tell them that it's not professional. If they do it again, document it and transfer their care to someone else. If ish hits the fan, your the one with more to lose.

Also, cameras with audio in each op could be a blessing in disguise or it could be the death of you.

Flirt back and neg....

Just kidding. Flirting usually happens with college students or 20-somethings when I used to work as a dental assistant. It definitely got worse when they would come back in 6 months and find out that I got into dental school. I'd subtly let them know that it ain't happening and switch to boring topics like the weather, news, etc.

I shadowed a high-profile dentist who ended up getting divorced a while back because he ended up dating several of his patients who were B-movie actresses. Apparently he's kinda shunned by the traditional/conservative dental community, but he's a cosmetic dentist so I guess he abides by his own rules and motives :cyclops:

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
One other little trick that I have learned over the years when this happens on multiple occasions with the same patient, very soon after the perceived flirting event has happened (very soon ='s during that same visit to the office and preferably within a few sentences of the flirting episode) casually say something about your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc (even if you don't have one!) and for many flirters with possibly thoughts of starting some relationship, other than a dentist-patient relationship, with you, that will quickly in a way that likely won't offend, put an end to that line of thought they may be having

Learn boundaries or the lesson will be learned via lawyers.

I shadowed a high-profile dentist who ended up getting divorced a while back because he ended up dating several of his patients who were B-movie actresses. Apparently he's kinda shunned by the traditional/conservative dental community, but he's a cosmetic dentist so I guess he abides by his own rules and motives :cyclops:

Is this the guy in Los Angeles that eventually hung himself? He talked pretty ghetto language and dated a bunch of Playboy bunnies and movie stars wannabes. What a shame.

Last edited:
It depends on what you want OP. You can make it happen if you want to hang out with your patients, but you can't be direct about it. It'll depend on you word it to meet up, then you won't get in trouble.

It depends on what you want OP. You can make it happen if you want to hang out with your patients, but you can't be direct about it. It'll depend on you word it to meet up, then you won't get in trouble.

No, I'm actually the patient right now. I'm not a dentist though am pre-med. The dentist and I have a pretty decent relationship and I get a vibe. Not sure how inappropriate it is to flirt a bit...

Do whatever you want ? Just be yourself, if your dentist or dr like you they won't hold back.

No, I'm actually the patient right now. I'm not a dentist though am pre-med. The dentist and I have a pretty decent relationship and I get a vibe. Not sure how inappropriate it is to flirt a bit...

Last edited: