what type of shoes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sam1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what type of shoes should I buy for use during internship? any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

My merrells are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I'm not saying my feet aren't tired at th end of long days, but those things are amazing.

SAS, very durable, exceedingly comfortable, not much to look at, especially for the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
My merrells are the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned. I'm not saying my feet aren't tired at th end of long days, but those things are amazing.

I second you on this.

Dilliards had a closeout on a couple models and I bought three back then. The current pair (then) lasted several more months. I am currently on my second pair and have 2 brand new ones in the closet. They are super comfortable and will last a year easy...

air max 360.

boycott clog looking shoes. horrendous.

If you want to wear shoes with scrubs - get Danskos.

With dressier clothes - Mephistos.

You will pay a premium for these shoes but they are very easy on the feet and last a long time. Also, they are not fugly as some of the shoes that I see other residents with.

as someone who has already just started my internship i recommend sneakers with the maximum amount of ventilation and springiness possible. if you have to "dress up" get them in black.

i'm on a crocs kick right now.

sometimes i wear my danskos.

rarely i wear some form of sneaker.

in the end, the most important attributes are comfortable in the morning, and comfortable 12 hours later!

I will never understand the volume of bandwidth dedicated to shoes on SDN. There are umpteen million reiterations of this thread in every forum imaginable

"I'll be an MS3/intern/resident/surgeon/dentist/nurse/pharmacist/hospital volunteer. What kind of shoes do you guys wear on the wards?

I wear the kind of shoes that stay on my feet, provide some basic level of protection from bodily fluids, and don't squeak when I walk (so I can make a quick exit from Medicine rounds).

I've taken a preference to Cole Haan (their Nike Air line), with the dress shoes for shirt and tie and their casual ones with scrubs. It feels like you're wearing tennis shoes but looks as sharp as any high end dress shoe. They can be pricey but you can often find them on sale and they last a long time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the apres clog from Teva. Like a croc but with a spongy
foot bed..not the poky uppy knobs...the foot bed is tres comfy...
and they look diff than crocs, cause Crocs are like bellybuttons now.

I will never understand the volume of bandwidth dedicated to shoes on SDN. There are umpteen million reiterations of this thread in every forum imaginable

"I'll be an MS3/intern/resident/surgeon/dentist/nurse/pharmacist/hospital volunteer. What kind of shoes do you guys wear on the wards?

I wear the kind of shoes that stay on my feet, provide some basic level of protection from bodily fluids, and don't squeak when I walk (so I can make a quick exit from Medicine rounds).

...I think it gets a lot of action, because a lot of ppl have feet that bother them. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on shoes a year, most of which leave me in excruciating pain after a few hours of wear (to the point of taking 3 or 4 prs of shoes with me for one day of work).

Most shoes that are my size are equally comfortable, so I'm not sure what the fuss is. :confused:

However, I have found that in medicine, the types of shoes that are worn by blue collar workers sometimes work better than the types of shoes worn by white collar workers. :eek:

That's because medicine is a very labor intensive job, with a lot of running around the hospital even in less physical jobs like Psychiatry.

I bought a trendy pair of Aldo's (which cost $85) a few months ago. After doing Neuro, Psych, and two months of IM, both shoes had tears in the soles. :eek: I guess these shoes are better suited for office workers like computer programmers and bankers, whose physical activity is limited to walking from the parking lot to the low rise office tower, and moving some staplers from the supply room to the cubicle, or whatever the hell those folks do. :smuggrin:

I've gone back to wearing my old, bulky Skechers and have ordered a new pair online (for $30). Incidentally, at Amazon's page, you'll find that busboys swear by Skechers. Their activity level is similar to mine which is why I like them too. :hardy:

...I think it gets a lot of action, because a lot of ppl have feet that bother them. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on shoes a year, most of which leave me in excruciating pain after a few hours of wear (to the point of taking 3 or 4 prs of shoes with me for one day of work).

Maybe something is wrong with your feet, and not your shoes. My feet always feel fine. :hardy:

what shoes to get for my dogs is always an important issue to me.:confused:

The most underrated work shoes ever: Lucchese or Justin cowboy boots. They have a heel like the danskos so your back stays straight & are comfortable all day.

When I'm looking for good shoes I make a choice: Do I want my feet to hurt at the end of a shift or do I want my feet AND back to hurt? That's how I know I have a good pair.

Hush Puppies or Aerosoles

Indeed. I think shoe threads have surpassed even stethoscope threads. The answers, of course, are the same..."buy what you like," or "buy what everyone else has." ;)

Also, it will depend on IF you have to wear suit (Mayo) versus not...the shoes that you wear with scrubs/white coats versus a suit will *not* be the same...

I wear these Rockport leather wingtips, but have the rubber sole. I'm on my third pair in 4 years (just bought them, so getting 2 years out of each, wearing almost every single day). For me, the hard sole doesn't work, which is why I wear these shoes that I do.

I got the "euro clogs" from shoesforcrews.com. They look like danskos but are more comfortable, at 1/3 the price. Like the danskos, they adjust your posture to make you stand up straighter, which is easier on your back. And after 3 months of being on my feet for the better part of 12-30 hours at a time, I'd recommend them highly.

I always recommend Danskos, as long as you don't have fallen arches.

most all of the surgery residents I know, including myself, wear Dansko's.

most all of the surgery residents I know, including myself, wear Dansko's.

Except me! I wore New Balances almost exclusively...my former SO bought me a pair of Merrells which the salesperson said would feel like "walking on clouds" but frankly, were no more comfortable than my sneaks. Perhaps the salesperson figured I would only be "walking on clouds" 8 hrs a day or less.

So when I paid for them again, I bought the NB and continued to wear them through fellowship and beyond.

Then again, I think I just have a mental thing against clogs.:rolleyes:

My collection currently includes:

2 prs Merrell clogs - one suede, one mesh
1 pr Birki clogs
2 pr Eastlands dress casual shoes - one brown, one black
1 pr Clark dress shoes
1 pr Danskin slide tennis shoes
1 pr Nike court shoes (OK I really have more, but don't wear them to work anymore)

All are well worn and beat up, but still comfortable. I've had surgery on both of my feet, and have issues with chronic pain, so tend to stick with what doesn't cause me pain after 3 or so hours (I can wear the Merrell's for a full call day - 30+ hours, with out a lot of pain).

I always recommend Danskos, as long as you don't have fallen arches.

Fallen Arches?
I tried a pair today and found them quite unusual, I know they are a different type of shoe, but still...
The only place that carried them, that I've found, is a women's clothing store (strangely the men's store owned by the same ppl doesn't have them). The lady who works there said there's no difference between the mens and womens Dansko Professional Clogs, so long as they fit properly. Is this the case? They seemed a little narrow...almost like I had heels on...although I don't have much to compare that with.
Anyone have any advice on how I should go about making sure these are the right shoes for me? Cuz what I know for other shoes seems to not be enough here.
Should I go to a store that sells high end shoes (like a specialty store) to see if they can give me any advice on fit? Once I have that info, I could just go wherever is cheapest.
TIA

I wear Finn Comforts. They're expensive (hand made in Germany), but they're the only thing that I have found that makes my plantar fasciitis tolerable. I can barely walk if I've stood in regular dress shoes all day during rounds. They're relatively hard to find...their website can direct to local retailers.