What to wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kentadason

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guy I got some an interview with a couple of school and I was wondering what do i wear??
Do you go to the interview in a suit?

Also what goes on during the interview??
What do they ask and what are we expected to know?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guy I got some an interview with a couple of school and I was wondering what do i wear??
Do you go to the interview in a suit?

Also what goes on during the interview??
What do they ask and what are we expected to know?

thanks!

Seriously?

Members don't see this ad :)
Although I don't expect any residency or pre pod candidate to wear a $2,500 Canali suit, you should make all attempts to look well groomed. That includes a clean, non wrinkled shirt (I would also be conservative with a white or light blue shirt). I would avoid loud shirts, black shirts, etc., since this is an interview and not a night out.

Wear a relatively conservative tie, and no novelty ties and know how to tie a decent knot. And last but not least, wear a decent pair of shoes that aren't all scuffed up or too casual.

Do any of the above guarantee that the person will be a good student or resident?? The answer is "no", but you don't want to give anyone a reason to put your app in the rejected pile. Additionally, many believe that your appearance and attention to detail may be reflective of your attention to detail as a student or resident. Once again, dressing like a sharp dressed man (or woman) is not a guarantee, but I'd do everything possible to stack all the cards in my favor as possible.

Note: I would personally recommend avoiding cologne/perfume and if you are a male avoid jewelry other than a watch or wedding band.

This is strictly my opinion, but I believe these are wise rules to follow.

As someone who is on some interview dockets for applicants to our department at work I can agree dead on with PADPM, unless you are applying for investment banking or top tier law firm you are fine with a decent suit from a department store. You just want to look neat and organized so your interviewer that reflects your personality. If you dress like you could be on the cover of GQ it will help, but by no means will it make up for a bad interview.

As for questions expect
1. Why Podiatry 3. Tell me about your undergrad/research/current job
2. Why this school 4. What is your biggest weakness/strenght
5. why low gpa or MCAT (if applicable)
I will say that interview feedback page on this site is quite accurate
Western is huge into situational questions, get a book on how to interview for a job and a lot of questions that will be shown in that book will be in westerns question docket

Also have questions of your own. I understand in the era of google it is easy to get a lot of info, but be sure to ask something. Suggestions are, what are you looking for in an ideal candidate, what is your research, what other programs do students get involved with.
Even if you know the answer just ask a few questions.
Finally just relax, unless you have some really big red flags most interviews are not that bad.

Seriously?

STOLE THE WORDS OUTTA MY MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they only accept people who come in looking like they are homeless men!

C'mon man!!! Have you ever been taught anything about professionalism?

You are really asking if a guy should wear a suit to an interview for that would make or break their future. So yes you wear a suit. No, it doesn't have to be a $5,000 suit.

You could even go to JCP and pick out a $60 suit that you will at least wear 20 times. But even go to Macy's and spend $200 on a 3 piece suit because you will wear this at least 50 times in the next 5 years.

go to Macy's and spend $200 on a 3 piece suit because you will wear this at least 50 times in the next 5 years.

I would definitely NOT recommend your go to a professional school interview in a THREE piece suit.

Three piece is a bit over doing it and is viewed as old fashioned. Get the 200 macys suit, do not get the 60 suit.

Well I wouldn't wear the 3 piece suit, but it is sometimes cheaper to get the 3 piece than get just the suit and the pants paid separately. That is what I was going at here.

But then you have the vest part for future times.

Thanks for the help guys

STOLE THE WORDS OUTTA MY MOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they only accept people who come in looking like they are homeless men!

C'mon man!!! Have you ever been taught anything about professionalism?

You are really asking if a guy should wear a suit to an interview for that would make or break their future. So yes you wear a suit. No, it doesn't have to be a $5,000 suit.

You could even go to JCP and pick out a $60 suit that you will at least wear 20 times. But even go to Macy's and spend $200 on a 3 piece suit because you will wear this at least 50 times in the next 5 years.

Im from Hawaii so when all my friends had interviews at the med school here, they all showed up in aloha shirts so i wasnt sure it if i need a suit or collared shirt

Thanks for the help guys

Im from Hawaii so when all my friends had interviews at the med school here, they all showed up in aloha shirts so i wasnt sure it if i need a suit or collared shirt

Everyone from Hawai'i knows that you need a suit on he mainland. Cmon kanaka

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Depends. If your hot then clothing may be optional...

Dress well (suit, nice tie, business casual will not cut it)

Interview lasts 20-40 minutes. You + 2-3 other individauals. Flow will be...

Welcome..
Tell me a little about yourself...
Why podiatry?
I see X,y,z in your records (bad grades, retakes, poor mcat) explain it
interests in research vs. clinical (I like to keep both options open)
Why should they bother looking at you as a candidate, do you really want this?
What are your thoughts on the new health care law. (3 out of 4 interviews asked this question)
Have you shadowed a podiatrist? Podiatry has a lot of C&C can you handle that?
Do you have any questions for us (The answer is yes, you do , you will ask at least 2 :) )

You will look the interviewers in the eye when they are speaking to you.
You will be confident in your answers.
You will give them a firm hand shake when you leave.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the help guys

That is too funny man!!!!!! Aloha shirts??? I would love to see the faces on the interviewer when they see kids in Jimmy Buffet shirts show up for a med school interview.

Collared shirt, only if you are interviewing for a job as a busboy or a dishwasher as a 16yr old.