what to study when taking the pcat in two weeks and didnt start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have the 2008-2009 kaplan book when i took the diagnostic test i did decently in all sections besides bio i only got 8 out of 24 right.

What sections of Bio should i focus on with 2 weeks left before i take the test?

I took gen bio two summers ago and havent taken A and P yet.

I took gen chem ths past summer and thats what i spent my summer studying but i havent taken any organic chem yet. i'm taking it this semester

Members don't see this ad.

i have the 2008-2009 kaplan book when i took the diagnostic test i did decently in all sections besides bio i only got 8 out of 24 right.

What sections of Bio should i focus on with 2 weeks left before i take the test?

I took gen chem ths past summer and thats what i spent my summer studying but i havent taken any organic chem yet. i'm taking it this semester

If you are being serious with your post, focus on what you know because you can't learn either A&P or Organic Chemistry in 2 weeks, let alone try to learn them both.

Also, in case you have read any of the threads on SDN, Kaplan doesn't adequately prepare you for the PCAT.

In summary, focus on what you know and hope for a decent score.

Out of curiosity, what do you expect to score on the PCAT, given your studying efforts thus far?

My first reaction to this is "seriously bro?" but I will try to fight my instincts and be civil. Based on what you have stated here you probably aren't going to do great. There really isn't anything you can do about it at this point but what you could do is just wait until next year. Hopefully that will give you enough time to prepare for the test and take further prereq classes that will aid in your studying.

If you are being serious with your post, focus on what you know because you can't learn either A&P or Organic Chemistry in 2 weeks, let alone try to learn them both.

Also, in case you have read any of the threads on SDN, Kaplan doesn't adequately prepare you for the PCAT.

In summary, focus on what you know and hope for a decent score.

Out of curiosity, what do you expect to score on the PCAT, given your studying efforts thus far?

I dont know but i thought i knew more than i did

what can i do to prepare-what do you recommend as the best course of action

by the way how much do schools coun the pcat
because right now my gpa is 3.97 and i was hoping it would balance out the pcat

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont know but i thought i knew more than i did

what can i do to prepare-what do you recommend as the best course of action

by the way how much do schools coun the pcat
because right now my gpa is 3.97 and i was hoping it would balance out the pcat

As I stated in my reply, focus on reviewing what you know from the classes that you've taken. You have no shot at learning Organic in 2 weeks. Period. A&P, you probably know certain aspects of the material from Biology. You'll screw yourself over by trying to learn new things if you don't have a solid grasp on the basics in the courses that you've taken.

You have a great GPA, but a 40 on the PCAT could call things into question.

As I stated in my reply, focus on reviewing what you know from the classes that you've taken. You have no shot at learning Organic in 2 weeks. Period. A&P, you probably know certain aspects of the material from Biology. You'll screw yourself over by trying to learn new things if you don't have a solid grasp on the basics in the courses that you've taken.

You have a great GPA, but a 40 on the PCAT could call things into question.

you just freaked me out and i'm starting to hyperventilate should i just cancel my test or do it and hope for the best

you just freaked me out and i'm starting to hyperventilate should i just cancel my test or do it and hope for the best

Take the exam and hope for the best.

Why are you concerned about this NOW? You haven't taken courses that cover 1/2 of the material for either the Chemistry & Biology sections and you're wondering if you're going to score well on the exam? Your level of concern is somewhat understandable, but you shouldn't be surprised.

What are you expecting to score on the exam given your level of preparation?

Why are you concerned about this NOW? You haven't taken courses that cover 1/2 of the material for either the Chemistry & Biology sections and you're wondering if you're going to score well on the exam? Your level of concern is somewhat understandable, but you shouldn't be surprised.

i plan on taking the rest this year and applying to pharm school in january but i have to take the pcat before the application deadline which is jan 5 2012 so i didnt have much of a choice about finishing all the course work before the pcat

That's wrong. Organic chemistry is 40% of the chem section and A&P is 20% of the bio section. You should check your facts before giving people advice.

And also, you can learn a decent amount of organic in 2 weeks. Nomenclature and basic reactions is all they test for on the PCAT, and it shouldn't be that hard if you have Dr Collins or any organic textbook. I hadn't taken organic before my PCAT, and I had only taken A&P 1, and I still scored a 98.

That's wrong. Organic chemistry is 40% of the chem section and A&P is 20% of the bio section. You should check your facts before giving people advice.

And also, you can learn a decent amount of organic in 2 weeks. Nomenclature and basic reactions is all they test for on the PCAT, and it shouldn't be that hard if you have Dr Collins or any organic textbook. I hadn't taken organic before my PCAT, and I had only taken A&P 1, and I still scored a 98.

can you tell me what specifically to study for organic when it comes to basic reactions

also what do they focus on most from gen bio

another problem: i havent taken calculus yet just started it this semester what should i study and focus on

Heh ... The poster only took General Biology, which means that they are missing 40% of the material on the exam. I'm sorry that 40% of the material doesn't equal 50%, *smirk*. I still stand by my posts completely.

Completely disagree with your second paragraph. I have taught Organic Chemistry and I can't expect you to learn the material in 2 weeks. LEARNING is much different than memorizing facts as I am sure that you realize. If you expect to completely learn material on your own without anyone to reinforce that knowledge, you will fail. Furthermore, I feel that your results are exception rather than rule, period.

chemguy79, 99th percentile on PCAT.

My first reaction to this is "seriously bro?" but I will try to fight my instincts and be civil. Based on what you have stated here you probably aren't going to do great. There really isn't anything you can do about it at this point but what you could do is just wait until next year. Hopefully that will give you enough time to prepare for the test and take further prereq classes that will aid in your studying.

Someone has been reading my sticky! :love:

I agree with chemguy though. OP: Don't try to learn new stuff in 2 weeks, that is crazy. Just focus on the stuff you should know from the classes you have had. Take a practice test and focus on your lowest scores/what you get wrong. FWIW, I think people get worked up over nothing concerning the PCAT. Thank God I had not found this forum before I took the PCAT, I would have been freaking out. Your undergrad classes should have prepared you to take the PCAT and if it has not, you have larger problems than the PCAT.

Good Luck!

does the test focus alot on animals and plants or mostly humans. i'm wondering if i should skip animals and plants when studying.

also how detailed is it exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
does the test focus alot on animals and plants or mostly humans. i'm wondering if i should skip animals and plants when studying.

also how detailed is it exactly?

You must not have seen my post directly above yours.

A lot is two words people.

I don't remember plants, but it has been so long, who knows? Also it is different for everyone so just because I didn't does not mean you won't. Also, test specifics are not allowed to be discussed.

No one can possibly answer "how detailed exactly". I would say 72% detailed, others would say 65% detailed. There is no agreement.

Good Luck. :luck:

I know people who study last minute and learn new stuff within like two weeks and still do good on the PCAT :rolleyes:

And also, you can learn a decent amount of organic in 2 weeks. Nomenclature and basic reactions is all they test for on the PCAT, and it shouldn't be that hard if you have Dr Collins or any organic textbook.

False. Also, please don't talk about test specifics. Due to this, I am unable to elaborate, except to say - false. O Chem II material (what I would not consider a "basic reaction") was on the test I took.

I also reject that you can study "any organic textbook" in two weeks. I submit that most people would be completely lost trying to do that.

OP, I would take the Pearson practice tests & focus on questions you know you've covered the material for but missed. You may be able to pick up O Chem nomenclature in two weeks, and you may consider reading a short A&P book / overview to see what you can pick up, but I wouldn't stress out about trying to learn that much new material that quickly.

You will want to figure out what the policy is for PCAT scores at your top schools - many only consider the highest score, in which case, if you flub it, there won't really be any consequences. But I'd highly recommend checking just to be sure.

If it would count negatively, you may want to choose "no score" at the end if you find it's going badly when you do the test. Since it's too late to cancel, I would suggest sitting for the test either way as practice (albeit expensive practice).

Oh for Bio I read on here someone who studied bio by just doing the Bio quizzes in the Collins packet.

For OChem I think you can study nomenclature, but I really doubt you will be able to study reactions in 2 weeks.

False. Also, please don't talk about test specifics. Due to this, I am unable to elaborate, except to say - false. O Chem II material (what I would not consider a "basic reaction") was on the test I took.

I also reject that you can study "any organic textbook" in two weeks. I submit that most people would be completely lost trying to do that.
It would be quite possible to learn nomenclature in 2 weeks. Memorizing a few O chem I reactions would also be quite possible.

And just because you saw ONE O chem 2 question on your test, it doesn't mean it is heavily tested on the PCAT

Heh ... The poster only took General Biology, which means that they are missing 40% of the material on the exam. I'm sorry that 40% of the material doesn't equal 50%, *smirk*. I still stand by my posts completely.

Completely disagree with your second paragraph. I have taught Organic Chemistry and I can't expect you to learn the material in 2 weeks. LEARNING is much different than memorizing facts as I am sure that you realize. If you expect to completely learn material on your own without anyone to reinforce that knowledge, you will fail. Furthermore, I feel that your results are exception rather than rule, period.

chemguy79, 99th percentile on PCAT.
I am also sorry that 40% does not equal 50%. This means you were wrong. Now if you had said about 50%, that would have been different.

And many people score well on the PCAT without taking organic. But to be fair, I took the course for about half a semester last year but had to drop it, so I did already have some knowledge

And just because you saw ONE O chem 2 question on your test, it doesn't mean it is heavily tested on the PCAT

Since you're going nitpicky on us, I never claimed that O Chem II was heavily tested. I was countering this claim you made, which based on my PCAT test is false:

Nomenclature and basic reactions is all they test for on the PCAT...

Perhaps YOU should check your facts before giving people advice?

And who says I saw only one O Chem II question? You're pushing me to discuss something I can't. But I can tell you you're still wrong about my experience as to what was on there.

And many people score well on the PCAT without taking organic. But to be fair, I took the course for about half a semester last year but had to drop it, so I did already have some knowledge

While that may be true, I very much doubt people who teach themselves O Chem for the PCAT by self-study start before the two-week timeframe the OP has and don't use an O Chem textbook as their main source. Studying Collins or a similar resource, which is meant for people trying to brush up / learn material for the PCAT, is completely different from trying to learn from an O Chem textbook, which is meant for in-depth understanding over semesters of study.

gotgame, I've seen you be helpful on these forums, but you're reacting to this thread like you've got a chip on your shoulder. Chill out, man. Would it make you happy, or at least less defensive, if I proclaimed you the winner??

I am also sorry that 40% does not equal 50%. This means you were wrong. Now if you had said about 50%, that would have been different.

Seriously gotgame? He admitted he wrote imprecisely. Dog with bone?

You're making a completely different point than what chemguy was responding to here. Chemguy was rejecting the idea that you can learn O Chem in 2 weeks, and I would add: especially without exposure to it / a structured class or guide curricula (like Collins, which can apparently cure cancer? :laugh:). You are saying that you can score well on the PCAT without O Chem. I don't think anyone disputes the latter, especially depending on the definition of "well."

The OP was asking what to effectively study, not whether one can do well without O Chem. Targeting the O Chem questions is probably not the right thing to do at this late date. I still maintain that I'd suggest the OP maximize the points available for the material s/he already knows.

I think it's stupid to study something you already know :confused:
why?
study something that you don't know that's what I think will give you maximum points.

I think it's stupid to study something you already know :confused:
why?
study something that you don't know that's what I think will give you maximum points.

I'm sorry, but that idea is completely foolish.

With 2 weeks to go, you should focus on maintaining the knowledge that you have and reinforcing said knowledge. Trying to LEARN new concepts is foolish because you run the risk of forgetting what you already know.

At this point in the game, you should spend time REVIEWING concepts instead of LEARNING concepts.

Let me know how the PCAT goes for you xNeenax.

If you want to LEARN new concepts, you should do that prior to registering for the PCAT. Memorizing how to name compounds or products of reactions is not the same as learning them.

Seriously gotgame? He admitted he wrote imprecisely. Dog with bone?

You're making a completely different point than what chemguy was responding to here. Chemguy was rejecting the idea that you can learn O Chem in 2 weeks, and I would add: especially without exposure to it / a structured class or guide curricula (like Collins, which can apparently cure cancer? :laugh:). You are saying that you can score well on the PCAT without O Chem. I don't think anyone disputes the latter, especially depending on the definition of "well."

The OP was asking what to effectively study, not whether one can do well without O Chem. Targeting the O Chem questions is probably not the right thing to do at this late date. I still maintain that I'd suggest the OP maximize the points available for the material s/he already knows.

Thank You, xtsukiyox. While I can be terse with some commentary, you have summed up my perspective perfectly and I appreciate it. :)

... If you want to LEARN new concepts, you should do that prior to registering for the PCAT. Memorizing how to name compounds or products of reactions is not the same as learning them.

I think there is another tack I'd take here, in addition to what you've said chemguy.

There is a difference between self-teaching and practicing proficiency, although both are forms of study.

For things like nomenclature or most biology concepts, you can do some self-teaching relatively successfully in a short amount of time, because it is mostly memorizing & regurgitating details. For something like working chemistry problems, I feel that self-teaching takes more time & would probably be hit-or-miss. Of course, if you're taking the next logical step to something you've already been exposed to, it can be much easier.

Practicing proficiency is really what I mean to suggest to the OP - In my personal case, I had taken Gen Chem I 4 or 5 years prior to taking the PCAT and Calculus at the same time. I found some gaps in my knowledge I was able to fill (where I never really understood it the first time around), so I guess that was self-teaching, but it was really just polishing things I had already learned at one time. Working the chem & math problems quickly & efficiently is a skill that you've got to practice before the PCAT - you don't have time for your skills to be rusty.

For most people I've talked to & what I've read here, it seems like the most points can be picked up in the shortest amount of time by "practicing proficiency" for technical things like working chem problems. If you have time, self-teaching some O Chem stuff might be useful, but I feel it's less efficient time use because you could be learning things that won't even be on the test.

I feel at least exposure to O Chem nomenclature (as has been mentioned a few times) could be a good use of time because it's a topic that can both be read quickly and even if you don't master it, exposure can help you make an educated guess. Different concepts that rely on earlier course knowledge to apply, even if it is on the test, probably isn't worth your time to study for the length of time necessary to master versus the number of points you're likely to pick up for the concept. There are other examples I can think of that would be good to self-teach if you haven't already learned them (acid-base stuff, oxidation) just because I feel they can be done in a short amount of time.

I guess the question we're quibbling over is this: what is the best time (within two weeks) versus point increase return? Some of us feel that self-teaching is not the most efficient use of time within the limited timeframe; others feel that it would be a good use of time. The answer is individualized - 1) how well do you self-teach? 2) how well do you grasp the material you already have / how beneficial would practicing proficiency be?

I'ma plug for the Pearson practice tests again here just to gauge your current level & help determine course of action. :)

I'm sorry, but that idea is completely foolish.

With 2 weeks to go, you should focus on maintaining the knowledge that you have and reinforcing said knowledge. Trying to LEARN new concepts is foolish because you run the risk of forgetting what you already know.

At this point in the game, you should spend time REVIEWING concepts instead of LEARNING concepts.

Let me know how the PCAT goes for you xNeenax.

If you want to LEARN new concepts, you should do that prior to registering for the PCAT. Memorizing how to name compounds or products of reactions is not the same as learning them.

The idea is not foolish at all. Actually a lot of people do memorize new concept heck even before the day of the test and still very well on the PCAT. I know people like who do that.

Haha, we have kind of gone all over the place here. If I had two weeks to study for the PCAT (heh, let's make that the NAPLEX ;):p) I would focus on mastering the concepts that I know. "Learning" new material in a short amount of time for a test that should cover years worth of knowledge is not practical or wise. There is a reason you take classes and they last months. 2 weeks is not enough time to review everything that you know and expand your knowledge base.

I absolutely refuse to accept that most people can successfully self-study OChem without any prior exposure. That is non-sense. And you run the risk of studying for it "wrong" and it being a total waste of time. So many reasons this is a bad idea.

I really don't think it's that hard to learn Biology in 2 weeks. It's all just memorization.
Plus, she said she already took Biology 2 summers ago all she really needs to study is plant and ecology stuff or whatever she wasn't taught and review the stuff she was taught.
Seriously what is so bad about that tell me. I know people who even memorize that junk the day before and do fine for instance, my Kaplan instructor.

Tell me why it's bad.

P.S. she's technically studying for OChem anyways since she is taking it now so what's your problem people. I know it's only a months worth of study but that's ok Ochem is not that heavy on the PCAT anyways.
If I was in ochem right now I would have already learned nomenclature and a bit about Sn1 maybe Sn2.

Last edited:
I really don't think it's that hard to learn Biology in 2 weeks. It's all just memorization.
Plus, she said she already took Biology 2 summers ago all she really needs to study is plant and ecology stuff or whatever she wasn't taught and review the stuff she was taught.

Seriously what is so bad about that tell me. I know people who even memorize that junk the day before and do fine for instance, my Kaplan instructor.

Tell me why it's bad.

P.S. she's technically studying for OChem anyways since she is taking it now so what's your problem people. I know it's only a months worth of study but that's ok Ochem is not that heavy on the PCAT anyways.
If I was in ochem right now I would have already learned nomenclature and a bit about Sn1 maybe Sn2.

Microbiology, A&P are also covered on Biology as well, concepts which aren't covered in detail in first-year Biology. Furthermore, MEMORIZING is NOT learning.

Heh ... You're using Kaplan too? LOL

Just curious, have you taken the PCAT yet? Saying that "OChem is not that heavy on the PCAT anyways" is extremely foolish and just wrong.

finally something useful thanks guys for all the input:)

Heh ... I didn't realize that people telling you what you want to hear is useful information.

OP, you haven't taken classes for material covered on the PCAT. What score are you expecting? You've never addressed that question and I'm curious.

Heh ... I didn't realize that people telling you what you want to hear is useful information.

You are worse than I am. ;)

So true, so true. I don't know why people ask questions that they pre-determined the answer to.

You are worse than I am. ;)

So true, so true. I don't know why people ask questions that they pre-determined the answer to.

Agreed on all accounts, owlegrad. :D

Besides, since you're a mod, I respect your restraint. I'll remain civil, but sometimes, you just have to wonder if people read or even think about what they write before they post on the board.

I answer posts on SDN in the guise that people search through threads (which as we've seen recently, does not happen frequently) and look for some kind of a perspective. I can be pretty snarky, but I genuinely want to help people.

Story time: When I was studying for the PCAT 2 years ago, I scanned through threads, noticing that a few people mentioned Dr. Collins. Therefore, I read every thread on the board, noticed the positive reviews and explanations regarding the study guide, so I purchased it. The deliberate thought process probably explains why I'm one of the few who scored above 80 in the Reading Comprehension section on SDN. :D *shifts eyes*

This post was so good, I had to send a PM. :laugh:

You guys are cracking me up!!

OP joo got dis brah. It ain't matter if you no take classes ever and didn't studE. Reading is for rich people anyway -- Chris Rock in The Longest Yard
Just review material that took me two years to learn in school and you got dis. Yull be alright dawg.

You guys are cracking me up!!

OP joo got dis brah. It ain't matter if you no take classes ever and didn't studE. Reading is for rich people anyway -- Chris Rock in The Longest Yard
Just review material that took me two years to learn in school and you got dis. Yull be alright dawg.

I don't want to pick on anybody, but why bother taking classes (what many consider the hardest classes they take in undergrad to boot) at all when you can just self-study for two weeks and apparently learning everything you need to know to succeed? That sounds like a much better option than 16 week courses to me.

I don't want to pick on anybody, but why bother taking classes (what many consider the hardest classes they take in undergrad to boot) at all when you can just self-study for two weeks and apparently learning everything you need to know to succeed? That sounds like a much better option than 16 week courses to me.

Haha I don't know, maybe ignorance IS bliss?

Actually, I believe I made the distinction & said general biology could probably be self-studied. We're talking about O Chem. I also disagree that A&P can be effectively studied in 2 weeks - you could probably pick up some stuff, but not to the depth that would cover you for EVERY question.

SN1 & SN2 were in late O Chem I for me, IIRC, and we covered it for several weeks. I believe we may have finished acid/base reactions at this point in the class. Nomenclature did come early, but not more than alkane / alkenes - we studied alcohols, esthers, etc. as blocks and got the nomenclature for each at that point.

Yeah, s/he'll have some O Chem, which is somewhat better than nothing, but still not the same as either having the class or studying for more than 2 weeks. That's all we're saying, that it probably isn't the best use of time to try & pick up O Chem in 2 weeks to increase points.

I think the argument here is whether buckshot or slugs are the best use of time. I think that you can target the information you already know to restudy weaknesses in-depth ("using slugs") but trying to study an entire year's subject in little detail is probably not going to be useful ("using buckshot"). If I had extra time, I might pick up a few points from using the buckshot approach, but the OP has little time - even less now that we've debated it for most of a week. :p

I just wanted to add that I've taken OChem I and passed with a B+ in Fall 2010, but never took OChem II. After a few weeks of 2-3 hours of study per day on Dr. Collins Chemistry packet, I am consistently scoring 80-99th percentile on the PCAT Practice Tests. On one of the tests, I actually got more Organic questions correct than General. >.>

Taking OChem I probably helps immensely, because that is when a lot of fundamental concepts of OChem are introduced. I have a feeling OChem II is more focused around specifics than just general concepts, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Taking OChem I probably helps immensely, because that is when a lot of fundamental concepts of OChem are introduced. I have a feeling OChem II is more focused around specifics than just general concepts, but correct me if I'm wrong.

This was my experience.

By the way, how long did you study (you mention 2-3 hours per day for how many days)? Nice job self-studying that stuff - shows determination & perserverance. :)

This was my experience.

By the way, how long did you study (you mention 2-3 hours per day for how many days)? Nice job self-studying that stuff - shows determination & perserverance. :)

Well, I've been studying for the PCAT since the beginning of August, and also looked it over a little bit in June, before I took a summer class. I decided to make Chemistry my focal point because I performed abysmally on the Kaplan Chemistry practice tests.

Also, I'm a firm believer in the idea that nothing is worth doing if you're not going to give it your all. The PCAT has practically been my life for the last month and a half...that, and work. Not even much socializing.

I took the PCAT in Fall 2006 in the same situation as you; granted the PCAT has more than likely stepped up its difficulty in that time period. At that time, I had not yet taken Biology II and was currently taking Anatomy and Organic Chemistry. However, I was one of those people who hardly studied normally anyway. I found that the reading, verbal, and quantative portions should hardly come across as challenging if you've maintained good grades in those courses. Because although you may not have been actively studying them, you use those skills in day to day life.

Prioritize. Focus on the one/two sections that you deem your weakest sections and you can ignore or pay little attention to the others.

And that was the only time I took the PCAT and I graduate next May (School claimed they lost paperwork so I ended up spending 3 years in undergrad). :)

I highly recommend PCAT Flashcard Book (REA). It has practice questions with answers and explanations. The questions were the same type of questions I had on the January 2008 PCAT. Good luck!