What to study in preparation for OMFS residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkadotgiraffe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While studying for the CBSE I primarily used Zanki (an awesome Anki flashcard deck) to study for the exam. I want to keep studying from this deck so that I don't forget this information. Does anyone have any suggestions about which topics I should focus on? I am guessing hematology & pharmacology will be pretty useful for residency, but I wasn't sure what else. Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

It may depend from program to program as role of an intern varies. You should ask your program’s residents. Wound healing, infection management, and trauma are good topics. If your program provides trach service for the hospital, post-op trach management would be a topic worth looking into as well.

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any suggestions for books relating to that material? I have looked at OMFS Secrets but the information seems dated..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! Do you have any suggestions for books relating to that material? I have looked at OMFS Secrets but the information seems dated..
Lol Secrets is not outdated. Abubaker literally came out with a new edition a year or two ago. I like Lam/Laskin's book Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Review: A Study Guide. As an intern you'll be managing/consulted for a lot of dental trauma so learn the algorithm like the back of your hand. Learn the absolute indications for taking certain fractures (e.g. condylar fractures) to the OR. You can easily find this material in Peterson's. Peterson's is also considered the "Go To" book for all things core OMFS and board preparation. Know the principles of ORIF. AO and Peterson's do a good job of explaining this. Before walking into a case, at least know the anatomy, then the steps (Use Kademani/Tiwana's book), then the specific vital structures encountered during each step, and finally the complications. Read Ellis's Surgical Approaches. You'll read it many times during residency. Always approach any case you're consulted for as if you're the one who's managing it and think it through as if you didn't have a chief or attending to guide you. Pretend it's your patient. There's a saying in anesthesia where an anesthesia provider should always be trained and prepared for the next deeper stage of anesthesia. In surgery, you should know to how manage at least the first level of complications. Learn the deep spaces of the head and neck and how to identify them on a CT scan. Learn how to hand-tie (both one-handed and two-handed).

To be frank, just relax. Ideally, you should be reading on your own volition but this is far from being some sort of prerequisite. It's better you begin residency energized and ready to put in 100% than to come in already half burnt out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This is great! It is nice to have a few resources to check out to get a better idea of what residency will be like, plus it is good to have something to look forward to. Thank you both for the advice! I appreciate your time.